JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Checking in from Wednesday
    1. Quiz. Download articles to review for essay. Pack lunch and log it. Leave for park by 8:50.
    2. Review articles and take notes on break. NO EXTRA SNACKS. NO. Note - June 22 (Sat) arrive late; can work first week of July as needed.
    3. Write reflective essay. Prep cheese. Build saag. Email prof about graphic organizers. Email prof about evaluation.
    4. Schedule assessments for Fall 2019; plan out return times. Align assessments with OW units. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    5. Therapy exercises at 9:30: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. MEDS. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45; devices off by 10:00. Alarm set for 6:00. Next Thursday is lunch with A. Check on lunch with B for tomorrow.

JFT Thursday
    1. AM run - 3 miles. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. Balance practice. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Post JFT.
    2. TYPE REFLECTIVE ESSAY. Leave for school by 10:00. Lifting. Duo between sets.
    3. Proof reflective essay and submit. Draft project. Dinner with B.
    4. Chop celery. Prep cheese. Build saag. Laundry; hang dress.
    5. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water! LOG BEFORE SNACKING!
    6. Therapy exercises at 9:30: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. MEDS. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45; devices off by 10:00. Meeting 9:15 Friday. Next Thursday is lunch with A; need to set time.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    February 2019: 187.0
    Today: 193.8

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Poetry: Revise "Songs are Poetry" handouts.
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays! Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Schedule assessments for Fall 2019; plan out return times. Align assessments with OW units.
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals. NOTE: ATTEND POST FLEX DAY RATHER THAN PRE FLEX DAY. Upload summer project checklist July 1.
    6. Medical: Dentist. Onco. PCP. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for Mamma Mia???
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling and taking items to the dump.
    9. Fun: Open beading on Thursdays. Coloring at library on Tuesday. Put jewelry away.

WFTY: Climbing.
    Positive thought: Despite continuing to gain weight, I'm still happy with how I look. That's... not nothing. But it is kind of a double-edged sword. Makes it easier to justify overeating. I'm getting better about logging, though. And I'm gonna keep at it!
  • asclepsia
    asclepsia Posts: 204 Member
    @PackerFanInGB;c-43778878"]@asclepsia Hi! Good to see you this morning! Awesome news about your decreased cholesterol at your checkup! I've not heard of a pipe organ guild test. Pipe organ music is beautiful so I'll bet it was an incredible experience! Thanks for checking in. You've been missed!
    Thank you for your kind words. The organ where I took the test is magnificent— even chopsticks would sound good on it! My computer is in the repair shop, so I’m attempting to log in with my iPad; the format is different. I haven’t kept up with calorie counting either—same reason. Looking forward to getting my computer back, so that I can get back into my routine.

@Faebert I hope you didn't hurt yourself too badly! Is it a muscle strain in your torso, or did you sprain an ankle? Regardless, I hope you allow yourself to heal and don't push too hard. Trust me....I'm the Queen of Mishaps...listen to your body if it says to rest! Hugs! xoxo

@aubyshortcake I hope your husband likes the house! Good luck! House shopping is so exciting

@Faebert I hope you didn't hurt yourself too badly! Is it a muscle strain in your torso, or did you sprain an ankle? Regardless, I hope you allow yourself to heal and don't push too hard. Trust me....I'm the Queen of Mishaps...listen to your body if it says to rest! Hugs! xoxo

@aubyshortcake I hope your husband likes the house! Good luck! House shopping is so exciting![/quote]

• pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,313 Member
    nlmackey98 wrote: »
    JFT Wednesday

- Up early to go to the gym :smile: Hard sell this morning
    - 20 Cardio on the arc trainer, Legs & Abs :/ Yes, Yes, No.
    - Stop at grocery on the way home and buy fruit to take to work :smile: Pears & Nectarines
    - Protein bar for breakfast. :smile:
    - Log everything, GBU - :smile:
    - At least 1L H2O before soda :smile:
    - Work e-mails :smile:
    - Check-in on MFP :smile:
    - PPE Matrix yet again :smiley: Finished!
    - Lunch 350 - 450 cal :smile: Not quite, but I had an afternoon nectarine that brought that up
    - Walk at work if not raining :smile: Yes and no. Started raining while I was walking. Got a mile in.
    - Home by 5:30 :smile:
    - Laundry :smile: Not enough, but its a work in progress
    - Dinner within calorie allotment :smiley: Eggs with a bit a cheese thrown in
    - Skip church to do laundry, not ideal :smiley: It is what it is
    - Maybe get a walk in laundry & weather permitting or ride the trainer (ugh. I hate the trainer) :( SO tired...
    - Lay out clothes for the gym :smiley:
    - Bed by 11:00 :smiley: 10:57 ;)

JFT Thursday
    - Up early for the gym :( Didn't sleep well and just couldn't do it. So today became a rest day.
    - In to work early :smile: 6:50 instead of 8-8:30
    - Log everything, GBU
    - At least 1L of H2O before soda :smile:
    - Protein bar for breakfast
    - Work on Ash Project
    - Try to mitigate damage from the mistake that was presented yesterday...
    - Healthy snack - fruit
    - Half day today: Go talk to talk doc & med doc.
    - Lunch or heavy snack after docs
    - Bake/decorate the actual wedding cake (super anxious)
    - Clean my house and prepare for guests (family) tomorrow for dinner.
    - Set clothes out for the gym
    - Bed by 10:30

Other than the screw up at work which really is a pretty big deal, yesterday was pretty good. I resisted the urge to stress eat. I think identifying it and tell y'all helped me. Today I have to go see the counselor and the psychiatrist. I never look forward to this, but I'm particularly anxious today. They are going to weigh me. I haven't been there is over a month and really don't want to see how far up that number on the scale has gone. Think I'm changing counselors. I really liked the guy I saw here. He gets me. We actually used to ride bikes together, and I thought that would make me uncomfortable, but it didn't. He was genuine, we connected well and I liked that he prayed with me at the end of the session. Although, I always feel odd when someone prays for me. It's like I'm just important enough to bother God.

Skipped the gy this morning and decided it would just be a rest day rather than a failure to make it. I was up every 30 min last night. When my alarm went off at 4:00, I just couldn't do it. I set it for 6:00 and I slept like a baby for those 2 hours. Funny, I think I was so worried about not getting up that I didn't sleep. Same thing happened yesterday, but I was able to go.

Anyway, hectic day planned. I gotta straighten things up at work (2 things down, 3 or so to go). Gotta make a small baseball themed wedding cake. Then I need to make my home presentable for company tomorrow. What was I thinking when I told my SIL that we'd cook Friday if she'd cook Saturday? I totally forgot that we work of Friday. She's a teacher and is off. Ughhh... Up side it's just family. Down side is it's my in-laws. They are awesome. I just always worry that what we have isn't good enough or clean enough or organized enough. Truthfully, the garage is a disaster as far as organization and my MIL can't go up my front stairs so that's the way she'll go. Sigh, it is what it is.

Positive thought: I control how I react to people and situations. I'm pretty good with people, but I need the reminder about situations.
  • pridesabtch
    @HEGoddard0928 I'm so glad they are addressing Matt's issues a little more aggressively. I really hope things work out. I'm happy that you had a good day at work and that you made your calorie goal yesterday. Here is to life turning around and having sunshine rather than stormy weather to navigate.

@maryrobinson40 You go Girl!!!

@Bex953172 You did an amazing job being mindful when there were temptations all around you. Also, it is so much fun when the little ones start to walk. She'll be into everything before long, making you laugh and driving you crazy at the same time.

@rb0619 Hi Rachael! Glad you found this group. These women are amazingly supportive and kind. Nikki
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    So, what a day yesterday!
    We (hubby and I) were launching one of our services that we have just finished and we had such an exciting day reaching out to users. We celebrated each user, there was even jumping in excitement on my side, which was not a very smart move since it triggered my gallstones in the night, but I survived :)

For this project, I am in charge of marketing which is sooo out of my comfort zone, I know nothing about it, which is both frightening and exciting. Also, my personality traits are rather reactive then initiating, I hate to make the first contact and risk being pushy, but I took it as a learning opportunity.
    Regarding eating, it was not a very good day, I snacked the entire day (mostly fruit though), but on the positive side, what I consider now a binge day a few months ago would be a low-calorie day. So, I'll take that as an improvement.

Today I am deciding to not live in the past, not even recent (yesterday), but instead, I am going to focus on today. As Corrine from phit-and-phat said:

"If you don’t like your past, then quit vacationing there. It’s not a trip worth paying for. And you’re paying for it every single day at the expense of your dreams and at the expense of every goal you have. Every time you take a vacation to your past, you have borrowed money from your future to pay for it."
    So, whatever happened in the past, stays in the past :)

JFT:
    - make and froze cubes of green tea (perfect for hot weather)
    - fix finally that nasty bug in the app for the client
    - eat healthy, veggie-based dinner
    - look into video recordings for demo and promo
    - one French listening&reading lesson

Also, summer hit hard here yesterday, out of nowhere, so I need a strategy to deal with hot weather.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member

1. Happy birthday to me! :)
    2. Weigh in :)
    3. No social eating at work :)
    4. 10,000 steps :) 11,436
    5. 8C water :) 10
    Thursday:

1. Weigh in
    2. no social eating at work
    3. start tracking food
    4. 10,000 steps
    5. at least 8C water
    6. major gardening!
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    JFT 5/6/19 Wednesday

1. Log all food & drink :smile:
    2. Stay under calorie target :smile:
    3. Take at least 5500 steps :neutral: I didn't use Shanks pony much today
    4. Stay focused and have fun :smile:

JFT 6/6/19 Thursday

1. Log all food & drink
    2. Stay under calorie target
    3. Take at least 5500 steps Not going to happen today either
    4. Stay focused and have fun
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Recap W 6/6
    1) Walked dog before work 3.74 mi 1:06:04 (humid from thunderstorms overnight) & stretched after = happy dog & happy me :smiley:
    2) Move hourly / stairs breaks / pace in office during webinar / 5 somethings = Fitbit 17,084 steps, 250+ 14/14 & 41 floors :smiley:
    3) Breakfast, snacks & lunch prelogged / look up recipe / net cals zero / 14c water = Unfortunately, MFP tech issues prevented me from importing new recipe for sockeye salmon with herbs & garlic so I guesstimated. This morning I was able to import recipe and oh my stars! calories were over 2X my guess. Figures, since there is butter & wine in recipe, too, and it was good! Anyway, in the spirit of the June challenge, I revised my food log (G/B/U). Net cals -357 :# , sodium -1,040 :s , sugar green 2 :D , fiber & protein excellent, water 10c :/
    4) Follow-up tasks from meeting :smile: only what I was able due to cont'g tech issues / contact chapter email back-up :p he's seeing same tech issues I am, at least he could email me expense report template / pick up GA-S records :smile: / start testing GA-S :smile:
    5) Evening: pick up race bib/shirt for Sat. :smile: / grocery shop :smile: / prep guest room for youngest brother & SIL / other? washed dishes, decluttered & organized :smile:
    6) Unplug 9:00 :smile: / floss :smiley: / retainers :smiley: / set/verify 5:40 alarm, bed & tv off 10:20 :smiley:

JFT R 6/6
    1) Walked dog before work 3.54 mi 1:02:18 sun finally broke thru clouds last 1/2 mile & stretched after = happy dog & happy me B)
    2) Move hourly / stairs breaks / 5 somethings
    3) Meals & snacks prelogged / no snacks after supper / net cals zero / 14c water
    4) Good effort on GA-S testing (P or R section?) / clear more of inbox backlog
    5) Evening: more planting for patio / clean hallway / prep guest room ~ youngest brother & SIL will be here tomorrow at 5 / declutter family room / put away clean dishes / other?
    6) Unplug 9:00 / floss / retainers / set/verify 5:40 alarm (x-train before work), bed & tv off 10:20

Today's Positive Thought: I'm in good head space (at last) for current work project (so don't waste that mood / energy). :D
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    @nlmackey98 - Hope you can fix whatever needs fixing easily. You have so much on your plate, my friend is like you runs her daughter (the other two are on their own now) everywhere, is involved in her church, has people over or socializes a lot, plus works full time. I don't know how you do it all. I never ran me kids to a lot of events, I worked shift work and for a lot of their growing up years we didn't have a vehicle. I probably would have if it was an option though.

@Bex953172 - She'll be cruisin' along now and in a week or so you'll be chasing her everywhere! Good job on refraining from eating all of the wings and fries, I don't think I could have pulled that off.

@mytime6630 - If I am on my phone I have my notes open and make notes there as I'm reading. The only problem is it won't actual "tag" someone's name Then I paste it into a new post. If I'm on the laptop I just scroll to the bottom and start a new post, when I switch pages I cut it before I do and then paste at the bottom of the new page, otherwise you lose it all. When I was at work, I used a piece of paper and wrote names and a little something about what I wanted to comment on so I could remember. Truthfully though with the group getting so active and the other one I read so active too, I'm finding it is taking up a lot of my time and once I'm back to work at a job where I'm actually doing something I don't know how I'll keep up.

@korina75 - I hope you got some sleep and I hope your Dad has mellowed in his older years. How often do you see him? Hugs to you. 30 Minutes a day is a good way to look at it. I should incorporate that too.

@HEGoddard0928 - I hope that the meds help Matt and this can all be a distance memory in a couple of weeks. Sometimes getting out of our comfort zones puts us on a path to something wonderful, I would say that's what happened having to switch schools. Going to a therapist is the best thing when you need it, I have a friend that desperately needs it, but refuses to go back because she stopped taking her medication. It's such a shame really.

@maryrobinson40 - You are doing so much, I am struggling to do all of that. I seemed to have a better handle on it last year when I was working. In fairness to myself, I did lose 3 pounds in May, I just gained it back this past weekend. I was hoping to be down another 10lbs by the wedding, but I don't think that will happen. I did stock up on some fruit and veggies yesterday at the grocery store so that will help me for sure. Hubby complained his pants are getting loose. He has lost some weight, all he has to do is start moving and it falls off of him. He hasn't changed anything about his diet at all except add more junk to it at lunchtime.

@azulvioleta6 - I wouldn't enjoy something that was supposed to bring me pleasure by having someone micromanaging me either. I am not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination, but know how relaxing it is for some people. I hope that it calms down for you, or you can find another place. Maybe you need to start your own community garden.

@aubyshortcake - Thoughts and prayers for a good inspection.

@rb0619 - Welcome, this group has helped me be successful in losing 25lbs. Coming back everyday and updating the goals you made the day before is the key for me. There are only so many days I can come back and not have made them without giving myself a good kick in the butt.

@daneejela - I would never have known that English isn't your first language as you write so well. I would love to go back to that lake house again. It was beautiful. I love that quote from Phit and Phat. What a way to look at it.

@clicketykeys - I know exactly what you mean! Buying the new clothes that fit me properly has given me a confidence I hadn't had, so now I think I look good. I have to keep telling myself I can look better.

@cschmitz110515 - The MFP tech issues were bad last night and still this morning, I had a hard time getting into the site at all. Good for you for updating your diary though.

• lafayettenana
    lafayettenana Posts: 79 Member
    I am so far behind on all the postings. Where did yesterday go? This problem with MyFitnessPal is bumming me out. Hard to get things posted and not posting steps from my Fitbit.

JFT 6/6/19
    1600 calories seems like the reasonable level with more steps and activity
    4000 steps
    get some chores around the house done
    No snacking or wine after dinner

Have a great day
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    I never before was able to eat 1200 calories and have energy, but working with my macros has helped a lot and strength training allows me to hit an acceptable TDEE
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Argh I’m struggling here - app not letting me access the forums so I’ve had to log in via the desktop site. Finally caught up ridiculously late in the day. Far too many posts to respond to but I am sending love, hugs and high fives to you all. So much effort and positivity and support on here.

Soooo goals. This June challenge is definitely working for me so far. I’m a bit of a perfectionist so I never really log properly when I fall off the wagon. So promising to log it all is so far keeping me on the straight and narrow!

Wednesday goals recap:
    - morning workout ✅
    - June challenge - G, B & U!
    - online grocery shop ✅
    - pack snacks ✅
    - early to work (staff choir and planning cover handover) ✅ ran to work instead of walking for a bit of extra exercise!
    - planning time (planned 1x snack only) ❎ see above. I earned a bit extra! 😉
    - digital resilience work and report proofing✅
    - home lunchtime day for car and shake✅
    - leave by 5 ❎ too much work 😕
    - new gym registration ❎ see above! 😡
    - cash for piano teacher✅
    - pack gym stuff ready for the morning ✅
    - bed by 9:30❎ again!

Thursday goals:
    - pack snacks and post-gym breakfast ✅
    - Warrior class 6:30am ✅
    - prep for assembly meeting on arrival ✅
    - home lunchtime for car and shake ✅
    - sort gifts for kids’ parties at the weekend
    - homework sheets and update email ✅
    - leave by 4:30 ✅
    - cafe with kids to meet N ✅
    - home for shopping delivery by 7 ✅
    - lay out running gear
    - June challenge. G, B& U ✅ going to have my protein shake snack and close the diary in a bit
    - bed by 9:30

See you all in the morning - hopefully having managed my long run. Knee a bit twingey after Warrior this morning so we shall see... x
  • pridesabtch
    daneejela wrote: »

"If you don’t like your past, then quit vacationing there. It’s not a trip worth paying for. And you’re paying for it every single day at the expense of your dreams and at the expense of every goal you have. Every time you take a vacation to your past, you have borrowed money from your future to pay for it."[/

I needed this today. Thanks!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited June 2019

"If you don’t like your past, then quit vacationing there. It’s not a trip worth paying for. And you’re paying for it every single day at the expense of your dreams and at the expense of every goal you have. Every time you take a vacation to your past, you have borrowed money from your future to pay for it."[/

I also love the way you put this. So very important ... and something for all of us to really think about! When we help someone, we never know who else might just need to read this today .. so thank you!
  • jacqui2494
    jacqui2494 Posts: 93 Member
    @nlmackey98 I really like reading your posts. I think it admirable to get up so early to go to the gym. I find late afternoon works best for me. Then I can go home and relax instead of trying to stay awake at work. All the best :)
  • jacqui2494
    jacqui2494 Posts: 93 Member
    I have been sticking to 500 calories under, staying in green, not walking as much.

1. Log everything
    2. Get in a decent amount of exercise like 30 minutes.
    3. Eat more veggies
    4. Weigh myself every day to keep accountable
    5. Stay in green

On that score, I rejoined the gym yesterday. I got bored with it and I’m really only going now to keep hubby company when he goes in the morning evening. I find I can do exercise in front of the tv and walking the dogs.
  • korina75
    korina75 Posts: 297 Member
    JFT 5/6
    Mindful eating :/
    drink water mindfully :/
    take meditation breaks as needed :(
    30 minutes of mindful movement :/
    Speak up for yourself :)
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    So, what a day yesterday!
    We (hubby and I) were launching one of our services that we have just finished and we had such an exciting day reaching out to users. We celebrated each user, there was even jumping in excitement on my side, which was not a very smart move since it triggered my gallstones in the night, but I survived :)

For this project, I am in charge of marketing which is sooo out of my comfort zone, I know nothing about it, which is both frightening and exciting. Also, my personality traits are rather reactive then initiating, I hate to make the first contact and risk being pushy, but I took it as a learning opportunity.
    Regarding eating, it was not a very good day, I snacked the entire day (mostly fruit though), but on the positive side, what I consider now a binge day a few months ago would be a low-calorie day. So, I'll take that as an improvement.

Today I am deciding to not live in the past, not even recent (yesterday), but instead, I am going to focus on today. As Corrine from phit-and-phat said:

"If you don’t like your past, then quit vacationing there. It’s not a trip worth paying for. And you’re paying for it every single day at the expense of your dreams and at the expense of every goal you have. Every time you take a vacation to your past, you have borrowed money from your future to pay for it."
    So, whatever happened in the past, stays in the past :)

JFT:
    - make and froze cubes of green tea (perfect for hot weather)
    - fix finally that nasty bug in the app for the client
    - eat healthy, veggie-based dinner
    - look into video recordings for demo and promo
    - one French listening&reading lesson

Also, summer hit hard here yesterday, out of nowhere, so I need a strategy to deal with hot weather.
    You are so cool😎 😁
    I love this post.... LMBO "stop vacationing there"... Awesome Sauce!!! @daneejela