Phrases that make you cringe!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2019
    "You do you"

I didn't think that was supposed to be used as "advice". Its code for I don't give a crap about your stupid opinion, *kitten* off

I don't think I've heard it in the "*kitten* off" context - it has generally been in response to someone struggling to please others in some manner or to live up to the expectations of others, and the consoling person says something like "Oh Linda, don't get stressed out about this - you do you! Just go out there and live your best life!!" Uggghhhhhh....

eh, I kinda agree. It is vague, but hopefully Linda know what she wants. So the "you do you" part could be considered specific. I agree the live your best life part is vague....maybe her best life would have been if she decided to be an astronaut when she was 8, hard to say?
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    "Muscle weighs more than fat." No. It is denser than fat, which comprises both mass and volume, not mass alone.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    "How are you today, Bob?"

"Living the dream!"
    or
    "Any day I wake up north of the sod is a great day!"
    or
    "If I was any better I would be you!"

A one-word answer would suffice...

I hate when people say they are "Living the dream", I never know what to say to that....it is like, okay you are healthy, have a good job, are alive...to some people that is living the dream.
  • kds10
    Phrases that make me cringe the most would be the responses I get when I tell people that I probably should not have children:

"You'll change your mind someday!"
    Been hearing that one since age 13- it's 20+ years later, and I still haven't changed my mind.

"Oh, you don't really mean that."
    Yes, I do. Why would I lie to you about my lack of wanting children? Really, who does that!?!

"But you would make a GREAT parent!"
    Except no, I wouldn't. My personality and lifestyle are not a good fit for parenting. I would not be able to handle it at all. If anything, I would be a miserable parent with miserable children as a result, and why? Because someone judged me for not wanting children in the first place? That's not fair to me, and definitely not fair to the kids.

OMG, I can't believe that people try and convince you that you will change your mind...seriously! WHen someone says that to me, I always tell them yep not surprised as I know lots of people that don't have kids/don't want kids. Nowadays what is the big deal with not wanting kids? Kids are not cheap as well LOL!

I had SIL tell me she can't imagine not having kids because who is going to wipe your *kitten* one day?? Seriously you expect your sons to be wiping your *kitten*...gross and disgusting.
  • kds10
    Calm down
    You don't want to do that
    Can I have a bite of that? (NO get your hands off my plate and order your own!)

Yep, when someone tells me to calm down it does the opposite!
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    noelr56 wrote: »
    "Not to be rude..." followed by the rudest statement you have ever heard.

Yep always the case. Just try to say it in not a rude way.

Also....
    Can I be honest?
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    We need to talk.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    you've been warned

LOL- do you hear that a lot?? Haha
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    kds10 wrote: »
    Phrases that make me cringe the most would be the responses I get when I tell people that I probably should not have children:

Been hearing that one since age 13- it's 20+ years later, and I still haven't changed my mind.

Yes, I do. Why would I lie to you about my lack of wanting children? Really, who does that!?!

Except no, I wouldn't. My personality and lifestyle are not a good fit for parenting. I would not be able to handle it at all. If anything, I would be a miserable parent with miserable children as a result, and why? Because someone judged me for not wanting children in the first place? That's not fair to me, and definitely not fair to the kids.

OMG, I can't believe that people try and convince you that you will change your mind...seriously! WHen someone says that to me, I always tell them yep not surprised as I know lots of people that don't have kids/don't want kids. Nowadays what is the big deal with not wanting kids? Kids are not cheap as well LOL!

I had SIL tell me she can't imagine not having kids because who is going to wipe your *kitten* one day?? Seriously you expect your sons to be wiping your *kitten*...gross and disgusting.

EXACTLY! Thank God, someone understands! It's mostly older people who say this stuff to me, but still... And btw, having children does NOT guarantee they'll be wiping your rear end when you're older. They will either outsource that job to a nurse at the nursing home or for whatever unforeseen reasons they may not be in your life at all. I am my dad's only child, and we have not spoken since a nasty fight 8 years ago. It just goes to show that having kids doesn't guarantee anything!
  • kds10
    kds10 wrote: »

EXACTLY! Thank God, someone understands! It's mostly older people who say this stuff to me, but still... And btw, having children does NOT guarantee they'll be wiping your rear end when you're older. They will either outsource that job to a nurse at the nursing home or for whatever unforeseen reasons they may not be in your life at all. I am my dad's only child, and we have not spoken since a nasty fight 8 years ago. It just goes to show that having kids doesn't guarantee anything!

I know so many people that are choosing to not have kids! We only had one child and he is an adult now but for the first 10 years of his life I had the boy you should have another one, it is not fair to him, etc. etc.etc., etc.

My SIL commented to someone else years ago that people who just have one child are selfish (which I guess was about us), however, ironically due to her being older when she had her baby, all she was able to have was one, so my thoughts to her are bite me and STFU. So I guess, people are never happy unless someone has at least 2 kids. Personally I am glad that people are having less or no kids, our planet cannot sustain the human population.

• laprimaJenny
    laprimaJenny Posts: 1,495 Member
    Don’t do anything I would do