Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet= good or bad

Replies

• mitch22098
    mitch22098 Posts: 38 Member
    Keto diets as well as other diets can really help shep weight. The problem which arises is when the diet is over. Trying to go back to eating regularly causes many people to regain weight. It seems more sensible to eat a balanced regular diet, reduce caloric intake, and be mindful of portion sizes. In my humble opinion.
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Keto has been fantastic for me but. Shrug.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Thats why the question about good or bad is impossible to answer.

Exactly. The answer is, and always will be, it depends...

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    J72FIT wrote: »
    sararejnok wrote: »
    This is an extreme diet, so when you come off it, the body does not know what to do when other foods are introduced, therefor gaining all the weight back.

If this were true, our species would be extinct by now...

The only thing that is even potentially credible is that a person on keto will often get diet induced insulin resistance where the body can take time to adapt back to consuming carbs. Now with that said, I am not sure if there is a ton of research on this topic, but I have seen a little discussing the topic.

If it has validity, it would make binging on carbs while on keto even worse.
  • stinkyfungus
    stinkyfungus Posts: 11 Member
    I simply can’t do what I do (that which lights my fire exercise wise) on a Keto diet.

So no... for me, Keto = bad

I don’t think You find many hardcore cyclists (folks that race, or train like they race and are truly dedicated to the craft - not just using it for “cardio”) doing the low/no carb thing. IMHO, seems That’s a sure fire way to plow into an invisible brick wall right around mile 20.

Hell, I not even sure a carbaphobe could hang with a pack of glycogen junkies on a bike for any distance? Where will the quick fuel come from when one of us decides to drop the hammer and breakaway?

Anyone ride hard and long on Keto? Can you hang? Talking sustained maximum effort endurance stuff.
This discussion has been closed.