What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    6/12/2019 - noon hour at local park, 88F degrees when I started and 96F degrees when I finished -

Run 5:40 walk 0:20 for exactly 5 miles in in 51:45 - planned on 60 minutes but made a "business decision" that it was too hot for comfort and while I could have done it, it wasn't necessary so this was a practice in sensibility and restraint.

In other news, I had a DEXA-SCAN today with pleasing results meaning that I'm doing something right in my current fitness, health and wellness journey. Body fat is down and lean muscle mass is up while body weight remained about the same (I am in maintenance land.) Needless to say, I'm pleased and will continue marching forward.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    60 minute Krav Maga class
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    I should have started working on my core 333 days ago.. I'm exhausted and on the verge of cramping in multiple muscle groups..

Still, better late than never.

Any core routines for home that are do-able by folks with a level 0 core would be appreciated. I know that region isn't as weak as I'm making it out, but it's in need of serious work relative to my shredded legs. That is, I'm asking for recommendations. Ideally indoor soloable free workouts that aren't weight/band/machine dependent. Thanks in advance!

Big sweat going, no bike tonight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Another day, another 7500m row (on water, in the double) in the AM, helping with learn to row class in PM (row, set up boat for learner, carry boats). Small-time boathouse looks like this (yup, it's a dirt-floor pole barn).ie08snyorfgb.jpg

Boats shown are a mix of club-owned & member-owned. My Pocock double is in the bottom rack of this aisle, on the left side. Single is back further, out of sight.

@aokoye: One of my fellow club members wears lightweight shin guards, backwards, in boats that give her track bites. :lol: Sensible, though!
  • pierinifitness
    edited June 2019
    I should have started working on my core 333 days ago.. I'm exhausted and on the verge of cramping in multiple muscle groups..

Still, better late than never.

Any core routines for home that are do-able by folks with a level 0 core would be appreciated. I know that region isn't as weak as I'm making it out, but it's in need of serious work relative to my shredded legs. That is, I'm asking for recommendations. Ideally indoor soloable free workouts that aren't weight/band/machine dependent. Thanks in advance!

Big sweat going, no bike tonight.

Consider starting with Stuart McGill’s Big 3 and build from there.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/392341-stuart-mcgills-big-three-back-exercises/
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    An hour and 15 min in a four in what I'm 99% sure will be my race line up for regionals. The person sitting 3 (so just behind me) just came out of learn to row and did a surprisingly good job. It was today was his first day doing starts, his first race piece, and his first time at a stroke rate over 22.
    I did a better job than last weekend on keeping the rate steady on most of our pieces, including out 1k race piece which was great.

For the interest of Ann, we're doing our start at a 32 and settling to a 28. Everyone else, starts are typically at a higher stroke rate than most of the race because the goal is to quickly pick up the boat and get it going and then you settle at a lower rate and push hard with the legs. Our starts are 5 strokes of a specific sequence, then we will likely do another 10 strokes at that stroke rate with more power, and then settle down to the 28.
  • dvmmcw3094
    dvmmcw3094 Posts: 107 Member
    Yesterday: TM hill repeats, mix of upper and lower body strength training.
    Today: Cathe Xtrain Tabata- 5 rounds of 8 minutes. Yikes that was hard.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Quads, chest and abs
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Thursday

30 min pulling PT up a hill, anyone would think I have a hilly trail 10k coming up. Hard work as always and managed 2miles.

1mile warm up run from school to gym, its come to something when running a segment at 8:30 miles doesn't give me even a third fastest time. I must be getting quicker.

60min hiit workout. Adapted a workout given by PT
    Started with
    1000m row, 10 burpees, 10 ball slams, 10 plyo push ups, 10 sit up to press with slam ball.
    Worked down to
    100m row, 1 burpee, 1 slam, 1 plyo push up, 1 sit up.

Finished to 60min on spin bike, 1km easy, 0.5km standing hill sprint

Circuits, tough and finished off with bring Sally up with push ups. Most people were allowed to stop and collapse but not Firef1y72. I had to immediately carry back on.

With all my walking to and fro along with the deliberate exercise I've burnt just shy of 2000 active calories today.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    3 x 8 Pivot squat
    3 x 8 single leg press
    3 x 8 split squat
    3 x 8 adductor machine
    3 x 8 wide grip lat pull down
    3 x 8 close grip lat pull down
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2019
    5K row today as a Warm Up (@2:24 roughly/22 SPM) and then I was going to do 4 X 5 minutes with 5 minutes active rest on the Air Dyne. Ended up just doing 3, which felt hard enough today. Last Sunday was the first 90 minute plus workout I've done in quite a while and I'm still recovering a bit.

@ Aokoye - that's a really nice pace. I think my best indoor race ever was at a 28 average. I'm assuming that's a 2K distance and you'll likely end up around 29/30 average for the race. Average to shorter rowers can do that in indoor. I'm average and I'm REALLY slow at SRM for my height.
  • pierinifitness
    6/13/2019 - Walk 1.22 miles downtown for a work meeting. Taking rest of the day off.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Stretches ~ 10 Minutes
    6 x 10 Reps Squats - Interspersed through Workout
    10 Reps 5 Second Planks
    10 Reps 5 Second Side Planks - Left Side
    10 Reps 5 Second Side Planks - Right Side
    10 Reps x 4 Limbs - Bird Dogs
    20 Reps x 2 Limbs - Bird Dogs
    10 reps 10 Seconds Isometric Curl Ups
    10 reps 10 Seconds Standard Curl Ups
    Abdominal Stretch
    60 Seconds Downward Dog
  • AnnPT77
    edited June 2019
    Spin class plus helping with club's learn to row class again. I rowed more during the class today than yesterday: The beginner in my double kept zig-zagging out of traffic pattern because she didn't row straight, but I let her: It wasn't the most important thing for her to work on right now. Periodically, I'd "weigh enough" ( rower-speak for "stop") her, and row us back on course.
    aokoye wrote: »
    An hour and 15 min in a four in what I'm 99% sure will be my race line up for regionals. The person sitting 3 (so just behind me) just came out of learn to row and did a surprisingly good job. It was today was his first day doing starts, his first race piece, and his first time at a stroke rate over 22.
    I did a better job than last weekend on keeping the rate steady on most of our pieces, including out 1k race piece which was great.

For the interest of Ann, we're doing our start at a 32 and settling to a 28. Everyone else, starts are typically at a higher stroke rate than most of the race because the goal is to quickly pick up the boat and get it going and then you settle at a lower rate and push hard with the legs. Our starts are 5 strokes of a specific sequence, then we will likely do another 10 strokes at that stroke rate with more power, and then settle down to the 28.

Coxed four? Are you racing novice class? Open or masters? Either way, that's a nice aggressive rating for the race body, for a boat of relatively new rowers.

You're doing well: I've raced in boats that would've been faster through the water at 24, but insisted on racing in the 30s. ;) I'm sure your coaches are on top of that, though; I've raced too often in the metaphorical wild west, coach-free. :lol: Wild ponies: SMH!

In the double, self coached, we test ourselves to find the rating/split sweet spot for the settle, and can enforce it. In a non-coached four/quad or bigger, none of that seems to matter: The boat's net adrenaline often sets the actual race rating, no matter what the stroke tries or the cox says. Crowd-sourced rating!

You, individually, must be doing quite well, technically, to be in stroke: Good show! No surprise, given that, that your confidence and composure are growing. They should be. :)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited June 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Spin class plus helping with club's learn to row class again. I rowed more during the class today than yesterday: The beginner in my double kept zig-zagging out of traffic pattern because she didn't row straight, but I let her: It wasn't the most important thing for her to work on right now. Periodically, I'd "weigh enough" ( rower-speak for "stop") her, and row us back on course.

Coxed four? Are you racing novice class? Open or masters? Either way, that's a nice aggressive rating for the race body, for a boat of relatively new rowers.

You're doing well: I've raced in boats that would've been faster through the water at 24, but insisted on racing in the 30s. ;) I'm sure your coaches are on top of that, though; I've raced too often in the metaphorical wild west, coach-free. :lol: Wild ponies: SMH!

In the double, self coached, we test ourselves to find the rating/split sweet spot for the settle, and can enforce it. In a non-coached four/quad or bigger, none of that seems to matter: The boat's net adrenaline often sets the actual race rating, no matter what the stroke tries or the cox says. Crowd-sourced rating!

You, individually, must be doing quite well, technically, to be in stroke: Good show! No surprise, given that, that your confidence and composure are growing. They should be. :)

It's always the "there are more important things to work on..." with rowing isn't it? In my last learn to scull class of the 5 class series yesterday, we were in doubles and worked specifically on steering. We made an amusing S curve without a. hitting each other and b. beaching ourselves (there's an island in the middle of the river that can pose a bit of a hazard in the summer in terms of the water getting too shallow). We also worked on river turns both individually and by pairs which was good.

With regards to the rate, thanks for the complements @MikePfirrman and Ann! Our race is a 1k (thank god) and yes, it's a men's novice 4+. Masters - it's the USRowing NW Masters Championship. I'm not sure who are cox is, but from what I hear the people coxing for this race are all really good. I've been coxed by 3 of them.

The 4 I'm in feels surprisingly good at that start 32, lengthen 28. My main coach (the one for the men's team) is very much on top of that and, if he's watching, will call me out if I've when I've crept above it during the high ten ;) I've been lucky/was just smart in that I rowed all through the winter thus got thrown in with much more advanced crews in late fall through the winter. As a result, doing power tens at a 32 isn't uncommon for me when I'm in a not novice 8. I think last Thursday we did some at a 34?
    The main "oh well this is new" is sitting stroke on an even kind of regular basis. It simply doesn't happen when I'm in a men's 8 and hadn't been happening on the novice only practices (which, if you hadn't gathered, are mixed) either until very recently. It's been a great experience, partially because it's a, "oh my coaches have faith in me" thing but also because it means I need to be really steady with regards to rate, technique, and then just get used to doing starts while sitting stroke seat. I've also come to realize that I love those first two lengthen strokes. The change in rate and the push with the legs is feels amazing when done right and my crew today really followed me well. That and I like being barked at by a passionate cox, but that's not dissimilar to my enjoyment of singing really powerful (in the aggressive way) choral music with a very passionate conductor.

Thanks too Ann for your last paragraph :) I think so much of this has been me really pushing myself to do things even when they're scary for me. That and taking advantage of every opportunity that I can in terms of all of the work I did during the winter and making sure I really jumped on signing up for learn to scull. My even being able to do that was in part based on the fact that I've gone to almost every single practice since I graduated from learn to row 2 in early Sept of last year. My work, pushing myself, and trusting my coaches hasn't gone unnoticed. Even the main sculling coach, who has never worked with me save for that flip test, mentioned it.

And now I shall go back to my not usual non-humble bragging self :wink:

wait wait, except for the quick detour to say - I finally graduated with my BA! It doesn't actually feel real because it took a very long time (mental health issues involved me having a very rocky and halting road towards the middle). I won't know it's real until my diploma is in hand when it gets mailed in a few weeks.
  • AnnPT77
    <snip>
    wait wait, except for the quick detour to say - I finally graduated with my BA! It doesn't actually feel real because it took a very long time (mental health issues involved me having a very rocky and halting road towards the middle). I won't know it's real until my diploma is in hand when it gets mailed in a few weeks.

Heartiest congratulations: Very well done, indeed!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Aokoye - that's exciting. I likely know of quite a few of those folks there. Many of the NW OTW contingent are members of my Sub 7 Indoor club as well during the offseason (most are so serious they never take time off). I'm like one of the least serious members of that club. Especially large contingent of female rowers from my indoor club are from either WA or Idaho.

Congrats on the degree! And can't wait to hear about your race. You've worked really hard preparing for it. I was so excited for my first indoor race, so doing yours on water would be incredibly exciting. Sounds like you're hooked already.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited June 2019
    Started day 1 of Pavel's "Fighter Pull-up Program".

https://www.strongfirst.com/the-fighter-pullup-program-revisited/

I am on the program if you can do 15 max reps.

12-10-8-6-4 (40 reps total)
    15 minutes between sets to stay fresh.
    30 day program with every 6th day off.
    Each day ads reps to the last set.

Yoga, dead hangs, handstand pushup GTG every day!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Friday

60min pt session. We did a variation of the 100 challenge today. Instead of a mile on the straight I had to pull her up a hill. Then
    100 trx rows (apparently i made them look too easy and need to adjust foot position to make it harder next time)
    100 squats - she's demanding more depth to the squats- in the challenge now
    100 press ups - these were really painful after last night's bring sally up challenge but I managed last 17 on toes
    100 sit ups - got through the entire 100 without stopping.
    Then had to pull her back down the hill. Total of 2 miles run.

1 mile warm up down to the gym
    5/3/1 cycle 1 week 3 deadlifts
    5x10@40kg sumo deadlifts
    3x10@30kg standing calf raises
    Stretch session

Total body conditioning- pretty much a full body burner.

1.65 run/walk with my 5 year old.
  • AnnPT77
    Another day, another 7.3k rowing in a double. Life is good. :)