FREE Customized Personal Weight Loss Eating Plan! (Not Spam or MLM)

Replies

• MEGG4018
    MEGG4018 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi! Sorry if it took me a while to get back to you I'm trying to figure my way around the app and taking many wrong turns. Thanks so much for your advice. Could I add you as a friend?
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 203 Member
    Thanks!!
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Bump!
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    another bump because good stuff
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Glad someone did it!
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Bump
  • torimangion
    torimangion Posts: 10 Member
    AnnPT77, THANKYOU for your post, VERY much appreciated (bold words not shouted, just stressing x)....may you PLEASE be so kind as to elaborate on the following because I'm finding it hard to grasp unfortunately...

"At least 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of healthy goal weight (approximately equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass). More is fine, within reason.
    - At least 0.35-0.45g fat per pound of healthy goal weight, as much of it as possible from healthy sources like olive oil, avocados, nuts, etc. More is fine, within reason."

I mean you say max of 0.8g protein of healthy goal weight. Lets say I'm aiming to be 140lbs at my goal so to round it off lets say no more then 1g per lb - are you saying 140g of protein is allowed daily??? Or more specifically 140 x .6 = 84g to (140 x .8 =) 112g of protein?

Thankyou for any help re this matter from anyone really who can answer this.

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    zobgoff wrote: »
    AnnPT77, THANKYOU for your post, VERY much appreciated (bold words not shouted, just stressing x)....may you PLEASE be so kind as to elaborate on the following because I'm finding it hard to grasp unfortunately...

"At least 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of healthy goal weight (approximately equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass). More is fine, within reason.
    - At least 0.35-0.45g fat per pound of healthy goal weight, as much of it as possible from healthy sources like olive oil, avocados, nuts, etc. More is fine, within reason."

I mean you say max of 0.8g protein of healthy goal weight. Lets say I'm aiming to be 140lbs at my goal so to round it off lets say no more then 1g per lb - are you saying 140g of protein is allowed daily??? Or more specifically 140 x .6 = 84g to (140 x .8 =) 112g of protein?

She is saying, if you aim for 140, get between 84g to 112g. 140g is overkill and likely unnecessary, but probably won't hurt if you like that much protein. (the .8 to 1 g applies to lean body mass, ie, without fat).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    zobgoff wrote: »

She is saying, if you aim for 140, get between 84g to 112g. 140g is overkill and likely unnecessary, but probably won't hurt if you like that much protein. (the .8 to 1 g applies to lean body mass, ie, without fat).

Exactly.

Protein and fat are best thought of as minimums. More is fine, as long as it doesn't drive out other necessary nutrition.

And you don't need to hit numbers exactly. A little over some days, a little under others - just fine. The calories determine weight loss. Nutrients are about health, satiety, body composition, energy level, and that sort of thing.

I'd also underscore that the suggested amounts are just my opinion about what to target for best health maintenance odds while losing weight, and possibly also exercising. They're not unusual recommendations around here, but some people have different opinions.

Best wishes!
  • donnainhouston
    donnainhouston Posts: 1 Member
    First, thanks for your original post. I do have a question of clarity -- it's pretty straight forward, but I just want ot be sure I understand.

"At least 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of healthy goal weight...."

By that statement simply multiplying the protein per pound by my desired "healthy goal weight", even if I'm 60 lbs above right now. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I want to be certain. :smile:

Thanks!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    First, thanks for your original post. I do have a question of clarity -- it's pretty straight forward, but I just want ot be sure I understand.

By that statement simply multiplying the protein per pound by my desired "healthy goal weight", even if I'm 60 lbs above right now. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I want to be certain. :smile:

Thanks!

Yes. It's actually 0.6 to 0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, but it's difficult to know what someone's lean body mass is (all the rest of your body minus fat). So it's easier to go with goal weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited June 2019

Thanks!

Yes. It's actually 0.6 to 0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, but it's difficult to know what someone's lean body mass is (all the rest of your body minus fat). So it's easier to go with goal weight.

FWIW, at the risk of making it more complicated, I'd say it's really (just my opinion! ;) ) 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass, but 0.6-0.8g with an assumption cooked in that most people will have roughly around 20% body fat +/- at "healthy goal weight".

Many people will actually have a few percent more or less body fat (BF) than that, but (1) the BF% difference doesn't really make a huge difference in the protein goal numbers if one does the arithmetic, and (2) most people whose goal weight/BF% is very unusual are slightly more likely to realize that (expecially those with a relatively low BF% goal who are focused on muscle mass/body comp . . . some of whom will choose a more aggressive protein goal than 1g per pound of LBM).

But that's all just minor quibbles. :)

Yes, @donnainhouston, bottom line is to just multiply your healthy goal weight by 0.6-08, and eat that number of protein grams daily as a minimum, is the advice I was suggesting. There's quite a range of opinions on the "proper" numbers, especially for protein.

If you want more info, I think this article is informative, reasonably neutral, and science-based: https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/

• HappyFeetXOXO
    HappyFeetXOXO Posts: 13 Member
    What percentages for daily macros do you suggest I enter?
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Always worth a bump!