50+ Women

Options

Replies

• Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    OOOooooo!!!!!!!
    I'm so excited! Someone at work this morning asked me how much weight I've lost!
    As you all know, I haven't lost much - certainly not as much as I need to, but it's so nice to have someone notice.:blushing:
    And it wasn't even someone who usually speaks to me much.
  • amy49
    amy49 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,My name is Carol, I would like to join this thread. I am new to fitnesspal. I started Monday 23. Iam 49 I will be 50 next Jan. I would like to lose 50 pounds,and 25 by june of this year.I need lot of support,and friends..I use Leslie Sonsome's walk away the pounds express. 6 days a week. I get 10 glasses of water in a day. But still not losing.I am a yoyo dieter, I decided that I need to do something new, so I hope this is it. :flowerforyou:
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Welcome Amy 49. This is a great place to be. I, too, yo-yo, which is why my ticker doesn't show much progress. I had gotten half-way to my goal and then the holidays, etc and now it's hard to get completely back on the wagon. Theres a nice group of women here, very supportive so I'm confident we can all achieve our goals.
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,My name is Carol, I would like to join this thread. I am new to fitnesspal. I started Monday 23. Iam 49 I will be 50 next Jan. I would like to lose 50 pounds,and 25 by june of this year.I need lot of support,and friends..I use Leslie Sonsome's walk away the pounds express. 6 days a week. I get 10 glasses of water in a day. But still not losing.I am a yoyo dieter, I decided that I need to do something new, so I hope this is it. :flowerforyou:
    Welcome Carol. You are welcome to join this thread. We are all struggling but the accountability and encouragement here is what keeps me going. Join us often.
    Esther
  • angel_wings47
    Options
    Hi, Everyone, my name is Connie and I am 47. I have been searching for a support group that I may have common goals with and experiences. I'll be 48 in July and am a grandma of 15. This thread is my kind of group. I hope it is ok for me to join you. I am finding it difficult to lose weight this time around. My goal is to lose at least 63 lbs. and I have lost my first 10 lbs!! Yay for me!! My weight loss journey began January 14th. I'm finding MFP very helpful and it keeps me in check. I am riding my stationary bike 27 minutes five time per week. I've never been a real fitness buff and look forward to sharing my journey. I look forward to keeping in touch with all of you.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Welcome Carol and Connie. I also recently joined the thread. I have been using MFP for keeping track of calories and exercise since last August. I have found that keeping very good records is the way to go. Wow, Connie, 15 grandchildren. That is great. I have to catch up with you. I only have 8.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I want to ask all of you for help and encouragement. I have totally blown my diet today because of stress. My dinner alone was over 1000 calories. I am having surgery next week and am getting nervous and I guess I am trying to get away from everything. I really need friends to get me through this.
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Hope you are all doing well. Welcome to the newbies:flowerforyou: It is terrific to have new members.

At the beginning of initial thread some of us listed our goals for the New Year. In fact, I just reread mine the other day to make sure that I was still going in the right direction:bigsmile: I am happy to report that I am getting great results with my blood pressure (it is in the normal range now:blushing: ) my bad cholestrol levels is on its way down and I am feeling healthier than I have in a long time:heart: Amazingly, I am working out harder than I have in many, many years. What truly has changed is my attitude. I always knew that I was a strong individual but I am proving it to myself even more every day. Even though the scale has not moved in over a month and a half I am confident that I will eventually reach my goals:happy: To me it has been a lifestyle change...one that I am committed to make. Best wishes to all...and let's keep being each others support:flowerforyou:
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I want to ask all of you for help and encouragement. I have totally blown my diet today because of stress. My dinner alone was over 1000 calories. I am having surgery next week and am getting nervous and I guess I am trying to get away from everything. I really need friends to get me through this.

Hi Swissmiss

Hugs to you:flowerforyou:

Try not to be so hard on yourself..we all have and will go through so many different emotions but just know that others are supporting you through this difficult time. There are times that the problems we have can sometimes be unsurmountable but I know from personal experience/tragedy that you really can overcome these obstacles. What works for me when I am feeling overwhelmed/stressed out is to do a workout or go for a nice walk outside. It totally changes my prospective. Also reaching out to friends is also positive. We are here to support you...please know that:flowerforyou:

Sending you warm and positive thoughts:heart:
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi I am 52 and would like to join this group I track my calories and exercise daily and am losing weight very slowly but my body has changed and I am in jeans from last year but that darn scale is not being as kind to me. I have just read thru a lot of this site and really like the encouragement and beleive our bodies do respond differently than when we were younger.:smile:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I just want to say hello to all. I have not had a chance to read all the post but I will. I'm glad to see so many new faces.

My sister came over at about 5:30 and she just left about 9:30. She bought a new mp3 player and I had to download some songs for her. Well, not some songs but a lot of songs. She bought it for the gym while she exercises. She does not have a computer at home.

I just was able to log my food in.

Now I am going to read the new post.

Again Welcome all.

Kathy
  • plantlady99
    Options
    OOOooooo!!!!!!!
    I'm so excited! Someone at work this morning asked me how much weight I've lost!
    As you all know, I haven't lost much - certainly not as much as I need to, but it's so nice to have someone notice.:blushing:
    And it wasn't even someone who usually speaks to me much.

Stay on this site and you will get more of that!!!!

Great Job.

I have to go to bed soon. I so glad we are getting such a nice group.
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 52 and would like to join this group I track my calories and exercise daily and am losing weight very slowly but my body has changed and I am in jeans from last year but that darn scale is not being as kind to me. I have just read thru a lot of this site and really like the encouragement and beleive our bodies do respond differently than when we were younger.:smile:
    Welcome. Yes, please join us. Good for you getting into last year's jeans! That's my goal too - hopefully by June :happy:
    Esther
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Good Morning All,

What a great group, This is the best site for support. I have worked hard for one year logging in on my food intake. I can see that I have changed so much of my eating habits. I guess it is because of great support and constantly not GIVING UP. I can't believe how fast the year went. I know if I did not have this site I would have gained it all back and probably more. The support is fantastic. We just need to reach out and ask for help, well I do!:bigsmile: :blushing:

The scale only plays with 25 or so pounds lost for me but my clothes show so much more. Don't get hung up on the scale. I do weigh myself a lot but that is just to keep me in check. I am changing my ticker maybe once a month. THAT'S IT. I use to change it every time my scale changed. That was not for me.

The exercise thing only became a regular routine this past November for me, and that became a constant struggle. It still is a struggle. HOWEVER, I know EXERCISE, no matter what it is, as long as you move will help. MOVING IS SUCH A BIG PART OF LIFE:flowerforyou:

Please keep up the fight. We are all worth it.

Got to get ready for the day. YES, I am heading to the gym. I have to I want to eat a little more than 1200 calories. Remember, do not go under 1200 calories or you will go into starvation mode. That will prevent you from losing also.

Chat later

:heart: Kathy
  • zaza54
    Options
    Good morning everyone-
    It's a beautiful day here in the northeast. I can't wait for Spring. Not much to report. Still taking it easy - doctor's orders.
    I also want to welcome the newcomers. This is a great place to be!
    Healthier4me, you are an inspiration. Keep up the great work and keep us posted.
    Swissmiss, good luck with yoru surgery. I, too, am contemplating surgery in near future, but am avoiding thinking about it for now. While easier said than done, try not to stress eat because you want to be in as good as shape as possible before surgery. Plus, if you have some forced inactivity afterwards, those pounds might creep back on so try and lose a little extra now. I know it's hard, but we're here to try to encourage and support you. When you feel the urge to splurge, come and write to us or maybe do some other things that need to get done before surgery - just stay out of the kitchen (unless you're making healthy meals ahead :laugh: )
    Hope you all have a great day.
    Zaza
  • sailgal
    Options
    Good morning!

Thank you so much for the nice welcome. I am thrilled to be part of a group that shares the same frustrations with weight loss.

I retired from teaching this year and only work in my school on Tues and Thurs doing admin work. Mon, Wed, and Fri are days at the Y for me. It's such a luxury to have time to work out instead of trying to cram in time for exercise after work. I am working with a trainer for weight training and taking a spin class in addition to treadmill or eliptical machine time but my weight has stayed the same for the past three months despite keeping to 1200 or fewer calories of whole grains, fruits, and veggies plus lean protein. However, my body is firmer and my clothes are fitting better.

So, my question is: for women in the over 50 group does the advice to eat the exercise calories still apply? I understand the information about starvation mode and the link to metabolism but I'm not sure my metabolism is up to the challenge of using the 400 or so calories that I'm using at the gym.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I'm not trying to get to some super low weight - I'm 5'7" and would like to get below 150.

Thanks for any help.

Cindy
  • vernona
    Options
    hello .... Well, I am in the same boat as you ... the scale dosen't budge despite the calorie deficit between calories consumed and calories burned working out. I hope someone can give us an answer ... take care and keep up the good work!!
  • plantlady99
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Welcome all.

This is a great thread on eating your exercise calories.

I try to eat most of mine. Sometimes I just can't eat them all but I find it does help to eat as much as you can and not go under 1200 calories.

I'm off to exercise. Got to burn those calories.

Stay safe and well all. (((((HUGS)))))

Kathy
  • zaza54
    Options
    Sailgal, my guess is that the variability between the exact number of calories in food and drinks consumed and what is reported could have somethign to do with an inability to lose weight on the scale. The same goes for exercise. I've seen wide ranges in calories for the same food listed on this site so I think what we report is often just a close approximation. The calories burned is also very different on the treadmill at the Y and what this site lists. I tend to err on the side I've eaten more calories and burned up less.
    The other thing is that, especially for us older women, I think the metabolism is just slowing down and making weight loss a huge battle.:grumble:
    Bottom line, I think if we're conservative in what and how much we consume and making healthy choices and staying as active as possible, we'll at least be healthier even if not as slim as we'd like.
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement I will be reading this site every day I beleive it will at least encourage me not to give up on logging in and plugging away. I am like sailgal I am 5'7 also and would love to be back down to around 145. I am concidering nutri system has any one tried that and what are your thoughts? I feel desperate that the scale is not reflecting the amount of work I am putting in.:huh: :brokenheart: