You don't use a food scale?

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    I weighed my peanut butter several times and 1 Tbsp weighs exactly what the label says. So I use Tbsps for peanut better (scraped across the top with a knife so it is not a rounded Tbsp). I find it quicker and easier.

Except for the transferring of the pb from the TB to whatever, usually involving a finger (for me), and the washing of the TB. With a scale, a person would just have to put the jar of pb on the scale, tare it, and use the negative weight of whatever they scoop out with their utensil. :)
  • Neightyre29
    Neightyre29 Posts: 47 Member
    I never used to use a scale and when I did realised I was estimating way too low :< No wonder I was hungry...
  • LisaTenn
    LisaTenn Posts: 4 Member
    eye balling = does not equal the same. lol ... cereal for a true serving is to dang small .. hahha
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Food scale is 100% necessary. Best money spent on weight loss.

Make salad. Google calories. Weigh. Tare. Next item. Tare. Next item. Tare,... till done.

Particularly useful for calorie dense items.

A food scale is a very useful tool (and a good recommendation), but not 100% necessary to lose wt. There are many people in MFP, myself included, that have lost weight without one.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Make salad. Google calories. Weigh. Tare. Next item. Tare. Next item. Tare,... till done.

A food scale is a very useful tool (and a good recommendation), but not 100% necessary to lose wt. There are many people in MFP, myself included, that have lost weight without one.

While this may be true - and it was for me for quite a while - I find I eat enough food with the scale, as well as not too much.

I lost the first 40-50ish pounds without a food scale. I eyeballed everything, used cups for cereal, guessed on meat. Tablespoons when I felt like it, etc. A "medium" apple was close enough and I lost weight with not much difficulty when I had a lot of weight to lose.

When I got to within 20 pounds of my goal that stopped working for me and my tendency started to be to restrict even more, which led me to getting pretty sick - hair loss, fatigue etc. It's every bit as important to me now, 12 years into maintenance, for that same reason. I want to eat as much as I need to keep my energy up and stay healthy and I don't do that well at all if left to my own devices. Without a food scale I swing too wildly between all or nothing. I need the accuracy...well, most of the time. I still go out to eat and eat at peoples' houses and just guess, but it's not that often.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

While this may be true - and it was for me for quite a while - I find I eat enough food with the scale, as well as not too much.

I lost the first 40-50ish pounds without a food scale. I eyeballed everything, used cups for cereal, guessed on meat. Tablespoons when I felt like it, etc. A "medium" apple was close enough and I lost weight with not much difficulty when I had a lot of weight to lose.

When I got to within 20 pounds of my goal that stopped working for me and my tendency started to be to restrict even more, which led me to getting pretty sick - hair loss, fatigue etc. It's every bit as important to me now, 12 years into maintenance, for that same reason. I want to eat as much as I need to keep my energy up and stay healthy and I don't do that well at all if left to my own devices. Without a food scale I swing too wildly between all or nothing. I need the accuracy...well, most of the time. I still go out to eat and eat at peoples' houses and just guess, but it's not that often.

This proofs that we are all different. I only had about 12 lb to lose when I joined MFP. And I, like you, also used tablespoons and cups, and I even searched and used "generic" items (OMG, the nerve!!!), and estimated values when eating out. I lost 14 lb. slowly but surely, and I didn't care. I only got a food scale almost 9 years ago when I reached maintenance because I wanted to keep better track of my macros.

I am not a very precise logger anymore, and I use the scale loosely when cooking at home. Maybe it helps that I am not a volume eater. Who knows?

Bottom line is that I don’t ditch the use and benefit of using a food scale, but I just don’t believe that using a food scale is the only way to lose weight. It may be the faster and more accurate, but not 100% necessary. That is my opinion and only based in my results, so just take it with a grain of salt.

By the way, congratulations on your 12 years in maintenance. Way to go!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    I weighed my peanut butter several times and 1 Tbsp weighs exactly what the label says. So I use Tbsps for peanut better (scraped across the top with a knife so it is not a rounded Tbsp). I find it quicker and easier.

Except for the transferring of the pb from the TB to whatever, usually involving a finger (for me), and the washing of the TB. With a scale, a person would just have to put the jar of pb on the scale, tare it, and use the negative weight of whatever they scoop out with their utensil. :)

Yep. PB jar on scale, scoop out with knife or spoon, til I get 32 g. No extra dishes FTW!

I weight whatever I'm putting the PB on and then weigh again after I spread the PB and take that as the weight of the PB (or Nutella or Jelly or butter).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Packing my food scale for my work trip next week. I hope it does ok in the suitcase. I'm driving, not flying, so it should be ok, right?
  • Gisel2015
    @quiksylver296
    I have no idea. My scale never leaves the kitchen countertop. Just in case, remove the battery and keep it in another place away from heat and make sure that is a new one and not corroded. Good luck with your trip!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited July 2019
    *bump* :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Bump
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    unless you're using measuring cups and spoons, you have to be lucky if your tablespoons and teaspoons actually hold a measured tablespoon or teaspoon. we have two sets of flatware, and none of the spoons are accurate - in one set, the spoons are well under; in the older they're over.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited August 2019
    unless you're using measuring cups and spoons, you have to be lucky if your tablespoons and teaspoons actually hold a measured tablespoon or teaspoon. we have two sets of flatware, and none of the spoons are accurate - in one set, the spoons are well under; in the older they're over.

Even if you are using measuring cups and spoons your measurements are lucky to be accurate. This is why you'll see it repeated over and over again on this forum to use a scale to weigh your food and only as a last resort for liquids turn to volume measurements. But, even liquids you're better off doing by weight if you can.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    I've got away with minimal weighing so far- 14lbs down- I think ice cream is the one thing I do weigh so I don't over do it. However, things are slowing down a wee bit for me- last 20lbs- so I'm on the brink of hitting the scales hard. If I keep losing, I'll keep as I'm currently doing but first sign of a stall I know I need to hike my trousers up high and face the truth of the food scale.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    My confession...

Although I join in the chorus, telling struggling noobs to weigh, I've never done it myself. I don't even measure. I don't own scales. It just seems like far too much faffing around :|