Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2019
    glassyo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I've never had it either but heard it was bad. Or is that vegemite? I can't keep up with these foreign foods!

Can we go back to chocolate? :)

White chocolate is neither white nor chocolate. Discuss. :tongue:

Is that true? Er....about the not chocolate part. No wonder I'm picky about it.

I'm also picky about my dark chocolate. I only can tolerate Sees and Hersheys. It's milk chocolate for me all the way tho.

That is, I believe, a point of contention. It contains cocoa butter, but no chocolate solids. It's a question for the ages really. In my house, we consider it a sweet, and we like it just fine when it's a part of some dessert, but it's not chocolate. :wink:
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    I've never had it either but heard it was bad. Or is that vegemite? I can't keep up with these foreign foods!

Can we go back to chocolate? :)

White chocolate is neither white nor chocolate. Discuss. :tongue:

Is that true? Er....about the not chocolate part. No wonder I'm picky about it.

I'm also picky about my dark chocolate. I only can tolerate Sees and Hersheys. It's milk chocolate for me all the way tho.

That is, I believe, a point of contention. It contains cocoa butter, but no chocolate solids. It's a question for the ages really. In my house, we consider it a sweet, and we like it just fine when it's a part of some dessert, but it's not chocolate. :wink:

Well, now I don't feel so bad for not liking it. :)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Okay, grilled cheese with or without mayo or Miracle Whip, and dipped in ketchup or no?

I've never dipped a grilled cheese sandwich in ketchup, but I may have to try that. It sounds promising. (I love ketchup, and lots of it, but mostly on fried things - especially all sorts of fried potatoes . . . but grilled cheese is a fried thing . . . hmm). Mayo is OK, but optional on grilled cheese. Miracle Whip is always an abomination.

I love grilled cheese dipped in mustard!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Supposedly, Mayo instead of butter on a grilled cheese is supposed to be better somehow. (Like using it on the outside). I have tried both ways, and still prefer the flavor of butter.
  • glassyo
    Just got caught up on the whole food vs "non food" food thing. Which brings me to one polarizing question of which we should probably be debating about by now.
    Cake or Death?

Death by chocolate (cake). Duh!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Just got caught up on the whole food vs "non food" food thing. Which brings me to one polarizing question of which we should probably be debating about by now.
    Cake or Death?

Death by chocolate (cake). Duh!

Ooh that sounds good! LOL
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    edited June 2019
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »

So, you seem to be drawing a distinction between homemade cookies, and these cookies. Let's dig into that a bit, shall we? (I have no pre-defined agenda here: I don't eat the Lofthouse cookies, think they're gross, but I'm very laissez faire when it comes to others' choices.)

This started with your initial post being woo-ed, and you asking why. So let's approach this in a fact-based manner, since that would be a science-ish thing to do.

According to the Food Lion (grocery store) web site, these cookies have the following ingredients:
    Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Soybean Oil, Salt, Contains 2% or less of: Mono- & Diglycerides, Calcium Disodium EDTA [Preservative], Artificial Flavor, Annatto [Color], Vitamin A Palmitate), Eggs, Contains 2% or less of: Water, Corn Starch, Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel Oil and/or Palm Oil and/or Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil [Cottonseed and/or Soybean Oil]), Dextrin, Skim Milk, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Soy Lecithin (Emulsifier),Confectioner's Glaze (Lac Resin), Food Starch-Modified, Colors (Carmine [Color], Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2, Blue 2 Lake, Red 3, Red 40, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 6 Lake), Polysorbate 60, Carnauba Wax, Sodium Propionate (Preservative).

If I were making cookies at home, most of those ingredients would be in the cookies, especially true for the ingredients at the top (more predominant ones): Sugar, flour, some kind of oil or shortening (probably a simpler one like butter, or coconut oil, because yummier), eggs, milk, leavening. I wouldn't put in artificial flavors (natural vanilla extract is yummier IMO), probably not the artificial colors (I mostly don't want colors - but if I did it would be standard commercial food coloring, which would likely be this same stuff). I certainly wouldn't put in the preservatives (gonna eat 'em or freeze 'em), carnauba wax (?!), or the Confectioners Glaze (Lac Resin) (no idea what that even is).

So, bottom line: Similar ingredients, differences in the minor items. (This might justify a "woo", in some people's minds.)

Next up, nutrition: Specifically, do they have nutritional value, or are they "masquerading as food".
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 38 g
    Servings Per Container 10
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 160.0 Cal
    Calories From Fat 50.0 Cal
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 6.0g 9.0%
    Saturated Fat 2.5 g 13.0
    Trans Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 5.0 mg 2.0
    Sodium 100.0 mg4.0
    Total Carbohydrate 26.0g 9.0%
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0.0
    Sugars 16.0 g
    Protein 1.0 g
    Vitamin A 4.0
    Vitamin C 0.0
    Calcium 0.0
    Iron 4.0

So, "food energy" (calories ;) ), tiny (negligible) amount of protein, a little fat, tiny vitamin A and iron. Not great. Probably not that far off home-made, but realistically, very low nutrition for the calories, mostly sugar and carbs. They might be a truly affirmative choice for an endurance athlete who enjoyed them and needed the calories. For anyone else who enjoys them, seems like a "sometimes food".

Conclusion: Nothing in particular. Just some facts. It's just that I don't mostly enjoy rant-y emotional stuff. Facts are good. ;)

Y'all are having some good fun, but I'm still hung up on what I bolded in that ingredients list. See, I use Carnauba wax ON MY PICKUP TRUCK :D

Following that logic, anything I can put into my body that passes out the other end without killing me or sickening me can be classified as food.

An abomination colored pretty pink. That's what these cookies are.

I'm going to go slug this down now. Maybe I'll have a new product to put on market shelves soon.

:#

Seriously, that doesn't bother anyone?

According to Professor Google, carnauba is a northeastern Brazilian fan palm, the leaves of which exude a yellowish wax. So it's palm tree juice. :tongue:

WAX! Yellow wax at that, it's the worst lol.

:D

Ok I'm just having some fun, but I admit if I really knew what half the preservatives were in what I eat I would probably starve myself. I just saw that and it was an instant "nope" :)

FTR, it's in candy corn, too, which I think someone complained about as a polarizing food earlier in the thread. Also - and I didn't know this - candy corn has gelatin, so isn't vegetarian.

And some sources say "Confectioner's Glaze (Lac Resin)" is "a resin secreted by the female lac insect after it consumes tree sap". Nummers? (This may still be vegetarian, though not vegan: After all, I drink stuff secreted by cows.)

Edited: Brain skipped another track.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member

FTR, it's in candy corn, too, which I think someone complained about as a polarizing food earlier in the thread. Also - and I didn't know this - candy corn has gelatin, so isn't vegetarian.

And some sources say "Confectioner's Glaze (Lac Resin)" is "a resin secreted by the female lac insect after it consumes tree sap". Nummers? (This may still be vegetarian, though not vegan: After all, I drink stuff secreted by cows.)

Edited: Brain skipped another track.
    Well, I did develop a taste for Beondegi in Korea, so I can't really complain about the Lac Resin. Something about ingesting anything waxy triggers my gag reflex (if I'm aware there's a substance at all related to wax in the food that is) and with that being said, Candy Corn is now officially off my list. Another bit of my childhood nuked lol.

To be brutally honest with myself on this topic, the vast majority of my likes and dislikes are taste driven only, with a few exceptions such as the wax, dog meat (I did not know that's what I was eating at the time)...

If I ever really educated myself on all the additives I've seen, I'm sure the revulsion would only last until I was hungry enough again...that's it for the brutally honest with myself bit. :)
  • AnnPT77
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Okay, grilled cheese with or without mayo or Miracle Whip, and dipped in ketchup or no?

I've never dipped a grilled cheese sandwich in ketchup, but I may have to try that. It sounds promising. (I love ketchup, and lots of it, but mostly on fried things - especially all sorts of fried potatoes . . . but grilled cheese is a fried thing . . . hmm). Mayo is OK, but optional on grilled cheese. Miracle Whip is always an abomination.

Hmm, I like mustard, too (not just ketchup). I may need to break down and do some "grilled cheese au condiments" experiments.

No ranch, though. I really don't mostly understand the appeal of dipping stuff in ranch dressing.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited June 2019
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm just now finding this 13-page debate about food :frowning: Better late than never, I guess! I like pineapple on pizza, ketchup on hot dogs is gross, mayo is like perfume - best used sparingly, not slathered on. I have no trouble passing up those cookies when they show up in the break room at work, but they are, indeed, still food. Just not great food, like pizza with ham and pineapple on it :smiley:
    I have seen one of my daughters eating it with a spoon. She just loves(d) the taste (gag)

edited in the past tense. I'm pretty sure she quit doing that.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    How about fast food? I think that'd be pretty controversial.
  • glassyo

Hmm, I like mustard, too (not just ketchup). I may need to break down and do some "grilled cheese au condiments" experiments.

No ranch, though. I really don't mostly understand the appeal of dipping stuff in ranch dressing.

I don't do it but I can see the appeal.

Ooooo I actually used to dip french fries in bleu cheese dressing so ranch would totally be a step up.
  • AnnPT77

Ooooo I actually used to dip french fries in bleu cheese dressing so ranch would totally be a step up.

Bleu cheese dressing > ranch dressing.

I'm in the "pro bleu/blue cheese" camp. I forgot that was polarizing a few pages back . . . .
  • glassyo

Bleu cheese dressing > ranch dressing.

I'm in the "pro bleu/blue cheese" camp. I forgot that was polarizing a few pages back . . . .

It's been forever since I've had anything bleu cheese (I know I don't like the actual cheese). I bought some bleu cheese bolthouse dressing but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Fries dripped in aioli are good. (I know I'm a mayo skeptic, but garlic changes everything.)
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited June 2019

I used to like miracle whip when I was a kid, but can't stand it know.

Still don't think I'd be too keen on the mayo on the outside of a grilled cheese; maybe, but I think I'd still prefer butter.

Can't imagine dipping my grilled cheese into ketchup, but then again there isn't much that I do dip into ketchup. On the rare occasion that I get french fries, I'm usually just eating them plain.

I wonder what a grilled cheese would taste like grilled with honey mustard or dijon on the outside?

When I was in college, I did like to get chicken tenders and dip them into a mix of ketchup and ranch dressing. But I've pretty much weened myself off ranch now and if I do get a hankering for chicken tenders, I eat them plain.

Sorry, I'll have to join the no bleu cheese group; I've never cared for the stuff. I'm not a big fan of feta or goat cheese, either; but then again, I tend to be a plain kind of person, so I prefer mild cheese anyway.

My mom loved candy corn, circus peanuts, malt balls, and those smarty valentine hearts at Easter, but has given most of them up when she became diabetic. Sadly, I can feed Dad's jelly bean habit with sugar free jelly bellies, but no one make sugar free candy corn or circus peanuts (though I let her have all them because I never liked any of those anyway; if I want candy, I want chocolate! Or a good Worthers Original or cinnamon disk!)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Speaking of gross candy, my husband likes Necco wafters. He stockpiled the little dusty cardboard discs of sadness when he found out they were going out of business :lol: