Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    You do love hyperbole :D

No they did not literally give you an embolism. ;) .

Apologies Pudding - I thought that was your intention when you sent them. He He.

Wow though - you make a comment on a board and get accused of: 'snobbery, being a troll, a ridiculous zealot, in need of therapy, the list goes on... However, I did preface one of my first comments with, "I'll probably get burnt for this" so it was my own fault.

Deep down, I'm saddened by the state of people's health across the globe - honestly. I'm old enough to remember the 70s and there only being one overweight kid in the whole school (of 150 pupils). Fast forward to today, I walk to school with one of my kids and half of them are puffing and panting up the hill, or straining to get out of the car. Yes, I'm not blaming these particular cookies, or cookies in general - it's just you know, could we live without them ever being invented - yes. Why? Because they're not 'food' as we normally class it.

Think that's it. Not a troll, don't understand trollism if I'm honest.

Good debating with you - although I frown upon arguing! :wink:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    But they are food, as we know it.

Just silly to keep claiming otherwise.

And of course we could live without them ever bring invented - that goes for every food out there, none are so crucial that there are not other foods that we could eat instead.

Silly argument is just getting sillier.
    I agree with PP - time to stop giving it air time.

Back to pizzas, mayo, toasted sandwiches etc - I'm disengaging with you now about frosted cookies.

I do love a good pizza
    t1971.gif

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    I didn't accuse you of being a troll. I LITERALLY :) said I hoped you were one. Trolling is when someone posts something just to stir up *kitten*. But, since you're not, you're much worse. At least trolls are just trying to mind *kitten* people. You still don't get that what you think isn't food is.

Have you mentioned what you do classify as food?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

So, you seem to be drawing a distinction between homemade cookies, and these cookies. Let's dig into that a bit, shall we? (I have no pre-defined agenda here: I don't eat the Lofthouse cookies, think they're gross, but I'm very laissez faire when it comes to others' choices.)

This started with your initial post being woo-ed, and you asking why. So let's approach this in a fact-based manner, since that would be a science-ish thing to do.

According to the Food Lion (grocery store) web site, these cookies have the following ingredients:
    Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Soybean Oil, Salt, Contains 2% or less of: Mono- & Diglycerides, Calcium Disodium EDTA [Preservative], Artificial Flavor, Annatto [Color], Vitamin A Palmitate), Eggs, Contains 2% or less of: Water, Corn Starch, Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel Oil and/or Palm Oil and/or Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil [Cottonseed and/or Soybean Oil]), Dextrin, Skim Milk, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Soy Lecithin (Emulsifier),Confectioner's Glaze (Lac Resin), Food Starch-Modified, Colors (Carmine [Color], Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2, Blue 2 Lake, Red 3, Red 40, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 6 Lake), Polysorbate 60, Carnauba Wax, Sodium Propionate (Preservative).

If I were making cookies at home, most of those ingredients would be in the cookies, especially true for the ingredients at the top (more predominant ones): Sugar, flour, some kind of oil or shortening (probably a simpler one like butter, or coconut oil, because yummier), eggs, milk, leavening. I wouldn't put in artificial flavors (natural vanilla extract is yummier IMO), probably not the artificial colors (I mostly don't want colors - but if I did it would be standard commercial food coloring, which would likely be this same stuff). I certainly wouldn't put in the preservatives (gonna eat 'em or freeze 'em), carnauba wax (?!), or the Confectioners Glaze (Lac Resin) (no idea what that even is).

So, bottom line: Similar ingredients, differences in the minor items. (This might justify a "woo", in some people's minds.)

Next up, nutrition: Specifically, do they have nutritional value, or are they "masquerading as food".
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 38 g
    Servings Per Container 10
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 160.0 Cal
    Calories From Fat 50.0 Cal
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 6.0g 9.0%
    Saturated Fat 2.5 g 13.0
    Trans Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 5.0 mg 2.0
    Sodium 100.0 mg4.0
    Total Carbohydrate 26.0g 9.0%
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0.0
    Sugars 16.0 g
    Protein 1.0 g
    Vitamin A 4.0
    Vitamin C 0.0
    Calcium 0.0
    Iron 4.0

So, "food energy" (calories ;) ), tiny (negligible) amount of protein, a little fat, tiny vitamin A and iron. Not great. Probably not that far off home-made, but realistically, very low nutrition for the calories, mostly sugar and carbs. They might be a truly affirmative choice for an endurance athlete who enjoyed them and needed the calories. For anyone else who enjoys them, seems like a "sometimes food".

Conclusion: Nothing in particular. Just some facts. It's just that I don't mostly enjoy rant-y emotional stuff. Facts are good. ;)

Y'all are having some good fun, but I'm still hung up on what I bolded in that ingredients list. See, I use Carnauba wax ON MY PICKUP TRUCK :D

Following that logic, anything I can put into my body that passes out the other end without killing me or sickening me can be classified as food.

An abomination colored pretty pink. That's what these cookies are.

I'm going to go slug this down now. Maybe I'll have a new product to put on market shelves soon.

JgFa8Kl.jpg

:#

Seriously, that doesn't bother anyone?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2019
    Phirrgus wrote: »

So, you seem to be drawing a distinction between homemade cookies, and these cookies. Let's dig into that a bit, shall we? (I have no pre-defined agenda here: I don't eat the Lofthouse cookies, think they're gross, but I'm very laissez faire when it comes to others' choices.)

This started with your initial post being woo-ed, and you asking why. So let's approach this in a fact-based manner, since that would be a science-ish thing to do.

According to the Food Lion (grocery store) web site, these cookies have the following ingredients:
    Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Soybean Oil, Salt, Contains 2% or less of: Mono- & Diglycerides, Calcium Disodium EDTA [Preservative], Artificial Flavor, Annatto [Color], Vitamin A Palmitate), Eggs, Contains 2% or less of: Water, Corn Starch, Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel Oil and/or Palm Oil and/or Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil [Cottonseed and/or Soybean Oil]), Dextrin, Skim Milk, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Soy Lecithin (Emulsifier),Confectioner's Glaze (Lac Resin), Food Starch-Modified, Colors (Carmine [Color], Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2, Blue 2 Lake, Red 3, Red 40, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 6 Lake), Polysorbate 60, Carnauba Wax, Sodium Propionate (Preservative).

If I were making cookies at home, most of those ingredients would be in the cookies, especially true for the ingredients at the top (more predominant ones): Sugar, flour, some kind of oil or shortening (probably a simpler one like butter, or coconut oil, because yummier), eggs, milk, leavening. I wouldn't put in artificial flavors (natural vanilla extract is yummier IMO), probably not the artificial colors (I mostly don't want colors - but if I did it would be standard commercial food coloring, which would likely be this same stuff). I certainly wouldn't put in the preservatives (gonna eat 'em or freeze 'em), carnauba wax (?!), or the Confectioners Glaze (Lac Resin) (no idea what that even is).

So, bottom line: Similar ingredients, differences in the minor items. (This might justify a "woo", in some people's minds.)

Next up, nutrition: Specifically, do they have nutritional value, or are they "masquerading as food".
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 38 g
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 160.0 Cal
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 6.0g 9.0%
    Saturated Fat 2.5 g 13.0
    Trans Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 5.0 mg 2.0
    Sodium 100.0 mg4.0
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0.0
    Sugars 16.0 g
    Protein 1.0 g
    Vitamin A 4.0
    Vitamin C 0.0
    Calcium 0.0
    Iron 4.0

So, "food energy" (calories ;) ), tiny (negligible) amount of protein, a little fat, tiny vitamin A and iron. Not great. Probably not that far off home-made, but realistically, very low nutrition for the calories, mostly sugar and carbs. They might be a truly affirmative choice for an endurance athlete who enjoyed them and needed the calories. For anyone else who enjoys them, seems like a "sometimes food".

Conclusion: Nothing in particular. Just some facts. It's just that I don't mostly enjoy rant-y emotional stuff. Facts are good. ;)

Y'all are having some good fun, but I'm still hung up on what I bolded in that ingredients list. See, I use Carnauba wax ON MY PICKUP TRUCK :D

Following that logic, anything I can put into my body that passes out the other end without killing me or sickening me can be classified as food.

I'm going to go slug this down now. Maybe I'll have a new product to put on market shelves soon.

According to Professor Google, carnauba is a northeastern Brazilian fan palm, the leaves of which exude a yellowish wax. So it's just palm tree juice. :tongue:
  • paperpudding
    t1957.gif

Quite keen on spaghetti bolognaise too.
  • paperpudding
    t1965.gif

And chocolates.

Have we moved on and avoided thread derailing yet or should I keep posting more smilies.

I have a great link to free smilies for all occasions. ;)
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    So, Marmite. How much of that good delicious protein do you like on your toast?
  • kimny72
    edited June 2019
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    So, Marmite. How much of that good delicious protein do you like on your toast?

As a sheltered American, I have never seen this mythically polarizing substance. I wonder if I can get it on Amazon? Test it out for myself.

Are Marmite and Vegemite the same thing?
  • glassyo
    I've never had it either but heard it was bad. Or is that vegemite? I can't keep up with these foreign foods!

Can we go back to chocolate? :)
  • paperpudding
    Not quite but very similar.
  • kimny72
    Not quite but very similar.

They are both available on Amazon and not terribly expensive, I might need to make this happen.
  • Phirrgus
    kimny72 wrote: »

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 38 g
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 160.0 Cal
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 6.0g 9.0%
    Saturated Fat 2.5 g 13.0
    Trans Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 5.0 mg 2.0
    Sodium 100.0 mg4.0
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0.0
    Sugars 16.0 g
    Protein 1.0 g
    Vitamin A 4.0
    Vitamin C 0.0
    Calcium 0.0
    Iron 4.0

According to Professor Google, carnauba is a northeastern Brazilian fan palm, the leaves of which exude a yellowish wax. So it's palm tree juice. :tongue:

WAX! Yellow wax at that, it's the worst lol.

:D

Ok I'm just having some fun, but I admit if I really knew what half the preservatives were in what I eat I would probably starve myself. I just saw that and it was an instant "nope" :)
  • Phirrgus
    glassyo wrote: »
    I've never had it either but heard it was bad. Or is that vegemite? I can't keep up with these foreign foods!

Yes please :)
  • kimny72

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 38 g
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 160.0 Cal
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 6.0g 9.0%
    Saturated Fat 2.5 g 13.0
    Trans Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 5.0 mg 2.0
    Sodium 100.0 mg4.0
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0.0
    Sugars 16.0 g
    Protein 1.0 g
    Vitamin A 4.0
    Vitamin C 0.0
    Calcium 0.0
    Iron 4.0

According to Professor Google, carnauba is a northeastern Brazilian fan palm, the leaves of which exude a yellowish wax. So it's palm tree juice. :tongue:

Ok I'm just having some fun, but I admit if I really knew what half the preservatives were in what I eat I would probably starve myself. I just saw that and it was an instant "nope" :)

I'm fine with yellow wax coming out of a palm leaf, rather than green snot oozing out of an okra pod. :confounded:
  • kimny72

White chocolate is neither white nor chocolate. Discuss. :tongue:
  • Phirrgus

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 38 g
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 160.0 Cal
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 6.0g 9.0%
    Saturated Fat 2.5 g 13.0
    Trans Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 5.0 mg 2.0
    Sodium 100.0 mg4.0
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0.0
    Sugars 16.0 g
    Protein 1.0 g
    Vitamin A 4.0
    Vitamin C 0.0
    Calcium 0.0
    Iron 4.0

I'm fine with yellow wax coming out of a palm leaf, rather than green snot oozing out of an okra pod. :confounded:

Thanks for the mental image :D
  • Phirrgus

I love white chocolate. Funny thing is it really looks like it could be made out of Carnauba Car Wax lol.
  • glassyo

Is that true? Er....about the not chocolate part. No wonder I'm picky about it.

I'm also picky about my dark chocolate. I only can tolerate Sees and Hersheys. It's milk chocolate for me all the way tho.