Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Options

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    while I don't care for ketchup for anything...(I SO don't get the stuff on eggs... :s , etc., etc.,) - my favorite chip flavor is/was ketchup...well, it use to be - Haven't eaten chips for years...
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Not quite but very similar.

They are both available on Amazon and not terribly expensive, I might need to make this happen.

A tip from someone who eats it.. the biggest mistake people make is to slather it on.. try just a smear on your toast. Enjoy 🙂
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Speaking of gross candy, my husband likes Necco wafters. He stockpiled the little dusty cardboard discs of sadness when he found out they were going out of business :lol:

oh wow, I'm actually rather jealous. I loved me some neco waffers too, but...they're gone now. :/
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

They are both available on Amazon and not terribly expensive, I might need to make this happen.

A tip from someone who eats it.. the biggest mistake people make is to slather it on.. try just a smear on your toast. Enjoy 🙂

:lol: Thanks, I will think "condiment", not "peanut butter substitute"!
  • slimgirljo15
    Options

:lol: Thanks, I will think "condiment", not "peanut butter substitute"!

Exactly 👍
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    mattig89ch wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Speaking of gross candy, my husband likes Necco wafters. He stockpiled the little dusty cardboard discs of sadness when he found out they were going out of business :lol:

oh wow, I'm actually rather jealous. I loved me some neco waffers too, but...they're gone now. :/

All hope is not lost! https://nypost.com/2018/09/25/mystery-buyer-of-necco-wafers-and-sweethearts-revealed/

(I still think they're gross. He likes the licorice flavor, which is double ugh.)
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I kind of like Necco wafers. They were my mom's favorite...perhaps because she was from Boston. One of my friends told me she and her friends used to play "communion" with the wafers.

I find blue cheese dressing revolting. When I was 16 I worked in a cafeteria style restaurant, and my first job was to ladle dressing onto customer's salads. The people who requested blue cheese invariably asked for several scoops, amounting to a bowl of blue cheese soup over a few lettuce leaves.

I was so pleased with myself for immediately recognizing the passage from The Importance of Being Earnest. I knew that class in 19th English literature would one day pay off.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

So, you seem to be drawing a distinction between homemade cookies, and these cookies. Let's dig into that a bit, shall we? (I have no pre-defined agenda here: I don't eat the Lofthouse cookies, think they're gross, but I'm very laissez faire when it comes to others' choices.)

This started with your initial post being woo-ed, and you asking why. So let's approach this in a fact-based manner, since that would be a science-ish thing to do.

According to the Food Lion (grocery store) web site, these cookies have the following ingredients:
    Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Soybean Oil, Salt, Contains 2% or less of: Mono- & Diglycerides, Calcium Disodium EDTA [Preservative], Artificial Flavor, Annatto [Color], Vitamin A Palmitate), Eggs, Contains 2% or less of: Water, Corn Starch, Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel Oil and/or Palm Oil and/or Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil [Cottonseed and/or Soybean Oil]), Dextrin, Skim Milk, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Soy Lecithin (Emulsifier),Confectioner's Glaze (Lac Resin), Food Starch-Modified, Colors (Carmine [Color], Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2, Blue 2 Lake, Red 3, Red 40, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 6 Lake), Polysorbate 60, Carnauba Wax, Sodium Propionate (Preservative).

If I were making cookies at home, most of those ingredients would be in the cookies, especially true for the ingredients at the top (more predominant ones): Sugar, flour, some kind of oil or shortening (probably a simpler one like butter, or coconut oil, because yummier), eggs, milk, leavening. I wouldn't put in artificial flavors (natural vanilla extract is yummier IMO), probably not the artificial colors (I mostly don't want colors - but if I did it would be standard commercial food coloring, which would likely be this same stuff). I certainly wouldn't put in the preservatives (gonna eat 'em or freeze 'em), carnauba wax (?!), or the Confectioners Glaze (Lac Resin) (no idea what that even is).

So, bottom line: Similar ingredients, differences in the minor items. (This might justify a "woo", in some people's minds.)

Next up, nutrition: Specifically, do they have nutritional value, or are they "masquerading as food".
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 38 g
    Servings Per Container 10
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 160.0 Cal
    Calories From Fat 50.0 Cal
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 6.0g 9.0%
    Saturated Fat 2.5 g 13.0
    Trans Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 5.0 mg 2.0
    Sodium 100.0 mg4.0
    Total Carbohydrate 26.0g 9.0%
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0.0
    Sugars 16.0 g
    Protein 1.0 g
    Vitamin A 4.0
    Vitamin C 0.0
    Calcium 0.0
    Iron 4.0

So, "food energy" (calories ;) ), tiny (negligible) amount of protein, a little fat, tiny vitamin A and iron. Not great. Probably not that far off home-made, but realistically, very low nutrition for the calories, mostly sugar and carbs. They might be a truly affirmative choice for an endurance athlete who enjoyed them and needed the calories. For anyone else who enjoys them, seems like a "sometimes food".

Conclusion: Nothing in particular. Just some facts. It's just that I don't mostly enjoy rant-y emotional stuff. Facts are good. ;)

Y'all are having some good fun, but I'm still hung up on what I bolded in that ingredients list. See, I use Carnauba wax ON MY PICKUP TRUCK :D

Following that logic, anything I can put into my body that passes out the other end without killing me or sickening me can be classified as food.

An abomination colored pretty pink. That's what these cookies are.

I'm going to go slug this down now. Maybe I'll have a new product to put on market shelves soon.

JgFa8Kl.jpg

:#

Seriously, that doesn't bother anyone?

I liked these cookies. All the way through the whole debate, all the pages. UNTIL NOW. YOU HAVE BROUGHT ME INTO THE LIGHT AND I AM SAD. :(
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Coriander (cilantro) -- love it, but there's such a thing as too much in a dish
    Black salted licorice -- it's ok but I agree with others...way better covered in chocolate
    Mayo -- YES...love it, and feel it's well worth the calorie count every time.
    Vegemite -- I haven't tried it
    Okra -- fine in gumbo...fried is fine too, but nothing I'd go out of my way to order.
    Blue cheese -- The smell puts me off it. I can understand the appeal and enjoy it in small bits with other things but I'm generally not a fan.
    Anchovies -- Yes please!
    Oysters -- Yum!
    Curries -- LOVE every type I've tried
    Pineapple on Pizza -- Absolutely a fan.
    White Chocolate -- It's fine, but not my top choice. Best white chocolate to me is Lindt white chocolate truffle candy, because its nice silky texture helps out the less-than-thrilling white chocolate flavor.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think peanut butter is polarising on MFP - well, at least everyone else seems other pole to me.

I don't like the stuff and never eat it and don't even have any in my house.

Everyone else on MFP seems to think it is nectar of the gods. :o

I like it a lot but not as much as my husband does...it's probably his #1 food. I think of it as a "sweet" food, he says it's savory.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Carnauba wax is actually a widely used food additive, most commonly utilized as a glazing agent in candies and other sweets to give them a shine. It is also used on fruits, especially the apples you find at the grocery store. Paraffin and other edible waxes are used as well, to add luster to food items. At least carnauba comes from a plant, as opposed to petroleum based paraffin.
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    I think peanut butter is polarising on MFP - well, at least everyone else seems other pole to me.

I think it's just not as popular in Australia as the US. I eat it maybe once or twice a year and don't have any in my cupboard atm either. Or it's just us 😜
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    leonadixon wrote: »

I liked these cookies. All the way through the whole debate, all the pages. UNTIL NOW. YOU HAVE BROUGHT ME INTO THE LIGHT AND I AM SAD. :(
    I'm sorry :(

There's hope though...as ilfaith pointed out at least it's sourced from plants and not petrol....
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options

I think it's just not as popular in Australia as the US. I eat it maybe once or twice a year and don't have any in my cupboard atm either. Or it's just us 😜

Yes it seems that way.- not an Aussie thing much - or at least not for adults.

Peanut butter is seen more as a kids thing here, not something many adults eat.

• JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love mayo/Miracle Whip in my grilled cheese sandwiches. I also add sliced pickles. My husband used to think it was blasphemy, but he's come around to my way of thinking.

Pineapple belongs on pizza and makes my inner 12 year-old happy. lol

And we've barely touched on the subject of sauerkraut on hotdogs! Must have!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    I love mayo/Miracle Whip in my grilled cheese sandwiches. I also add sliced pickles. My husband used to think it was blasphemy, but he's come around to my way of thinking.

Pineapple belongs on pizza and makes my inner 12 year-old happy. lol

And we've barely touched on the subject of sauerkraut on hotdogs! Must have!

too funny...I can't stand any of this stuff with the exception of the sauerkraut (which is great...sans the hotdog though!)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut on hot dogs is acceptable, but on brats (which are, again, better than hot dogs) is essential and amazing.

Sauerkraut with pork and apples is also amazing.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Sauerkraut on hot dogs is acceptable, but on brats (which are, again, better than hot dogs) is essential and amazing.

we need to party.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

So, you seem to be drawing a distinction between homemade cookies, and these cookies. Let's dig into that a bit, shall we? (I have no pre-defined agenda here: I don't eat the Lofthouse cookies, think they're gross, but I'm very laissez faire when it comes to others' choices.)

This started with your initial post being woo-ed, and you asking why. So let's approach this in a fact-based manner, since that would be a science-ish thing to do.

According to the Food Lion (grocery store) web site, these cookies have the following ingredients:
    Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Soybean Oil, Salt, Contains 2% or less of: Mono- & Diglycerides, Calcium Disodium EDTA [Preservative], Artificial Flavor, Annatto [Color], Vitamin A Palmitate), Eggs, Contains 2% or less of: Water, Corn Starch, Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel Oil and/or Palm Oil and/or Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil [Cottonseed and/or Soybean Oil]), Dextrin, Skim Milk, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Soy Lecithin (Emulsifier),Confectioner's Glaze (Lac Resin), Food Starch-Modified, Colors (Carmine [Color], Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2, Blue 2 Lake, Red 3, Red 40, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 6 Lake), Polysorbate 60, Carnauba Wax, Sodium Propionate (Preservative).

If I were making cookies at home, most of those ingredients would be in the cookies, especially true for the ingredients at the top (more predominant ones): Sugar, flour, some kind of oil or shortening (probably a simpler one like butter, or coconut oil, because yummier), eggs, milk, leavening. I wouldn't put in artificial flavors (natural vanilla extract is yummier IMO), probably not the artificial colors (I mostly don't want colors - but if I did it would be standard commercial food coloring, which would likely be this same stuff). I certainly wouldn't put in the preservatives (gonna eat 'em or freeze 'em), carnauba wax (?!), or the Confectioners Glaze (Lac Resin) (no idea what that even is).

So, bottom line: Similar ingredients, differences in the minor items. (This might justify a "woo", in some people's minds.)

Next up, nutrition: Specifically, do they have nutritional value, or are they "masquerading as food".
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 38 g
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 160.0 Cal
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 6.0g 9.0%
    Saturated Fat 2.5 g 13.0
    Trans Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 5.0 mg 2.0
    Sodium 100.0 mg4.0
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0.0
    Sugars 16.0 g
    Protein 1.0 g
    Vitamin A 4.0
    Vitamin C 0.0
    Calcium 0.0
    Iron 4.0

So, "food energy" (calories ;) ), tiny (negligible) amount of protein, a little fat, tiny vitamin A and iron. Not great. Probably not that far off home-made, but realistically, very low nutrition for the calories, mostly sugar and carbs. They might be a truly affirmative choice for an endurance athlete who enjoyed them and needed the calories. For anyone else who enjoys them, seems like a "sometimes food".

Conclusion: Nothing in particular. Just some facts. It's just that I don't mostly enjoy rant-y emotional stuff. Facts are good. ;)

Y'all are having some good fun, but I'm still hung up on what I bolded in that ingredients list. See, I use Carnauba wax ON MY PICKUP TRUCK :D

Following that logic, anything I can put into my body that passes out the other end without killing me or sickening me can be classified as food.

I'm going to go slug this down now. Maybe I'll have a new product to put on market shelves soon.

JgFa8Kl.jpg

Yes.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 38 g
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 160.0 Cal
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 6.0g 9.0%
    Saturated Fat 2.5 g 13.0
    Trans Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 5.0 mg 2.0
    Sodium 100.0 mg4.0
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0.0
    Sugars 16.0 g
    Protein 1.0 g
    Vitamin A 4.0
    Vitamin C 0.0
    Calcium 0.0
    Iron 4.0

JgFa8Kl.jpg

Yeah it does. The cookies have that? @Phirrgus