June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    NiigataA wrote: »
    Does anyone have some recommendations of stretches/foam rolling mostly for calves and IT band? I'm still having a lot of pain in those two places and it's making running painful which is no fun! I've been doing some that I'm familiar with but any other tips/tricks are most welcome at this point!

Tips and tricks... hmmm

Maybe change up your running surface? Find some trails assuming your not already running them.

For the ITB; Hip triangles- Leg out to the side, backwards then return to starting position. Glute exercises, maybe some donkey kicks, on all four and extend the leg out, deliberately kicking/extending back. And some quad strengthening. Maybe gym or just some high knees and squats (with proper form).

The calves. Just sore and overworked? Rotate shoes, perhaps cut some mileage back or add the cutback mileage to an additional day.

Brb checking your mileage...er kilometerage :)

Okay. Well honestly if it’s just “I’m sore” pain and that massage didn’t elicit any “oh kitten” pains and you can rub around and not find alarming pain, I’m going to suggest: 1. A cut back week, 2. Some base building. Which means try some shorter runs, more frequently. Maybe daily 2k runs or if you want the added time on your feet walk more and run slower.

And of course, are you in good shoes? You can try a magnesium supplement (if okay by your doc) and L-glutamine or BCAA’s can also help with muscle pain due to exercise.

All else, consult your favorite PT if needed.
    Good luck!

ETA oh how’s your stride length? Try shorter steps.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @PastorVincent I think you got dirty, worked hard, and should shake that post race funk. In my opinion, 5 hours for a 50k trail, is just unreasonable. @7lenny7 would be more of an authority on that. They typically are “races” that break you in ways road races don’t.

Ya did good. Where’s @MNLittleFinn? He’d be proud of you.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Dang @PastorVincent, those look/sound like absolutely brutal conditions to run in, let alone race. Major kudos to you for even finishing when so many others dropped out. Great job 👍
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Dang @PastorVincent, those look/sound like absolutely brutal conditions to run in, let alone race. Major kudos to you for even finishing when so many others dropped out. Great job 👍

Second this in spades!!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    The eye this morning. I don't like it. Guess I'll take him to our regular vet just to see if it all nothing to worry over.
    iqix6qwpw75z.jpg
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have some recommendations of stretches/foam rolling mostly for calves and IT band? I'm still having a lot of pain in those two places and it's making running painful which is no fun! I've been doing some that I'm familiar with but any other tips/tricks are most welcome at this point!

I stretch and use a foam roller after every run. I even have a small travel one that I pack for trips because stretching alone just isn’t the same. I use a basic 36 inch high density foam roller (easily found on amazon). I use it for my calves, but I know some people prefer a lacrosse ball for calves. I think it’s just how much pressure you can handle. I get muscle knots easily in general and rolling regularly has made a huge difference. You can find references and videos pretty easily on the internet for targeting specific areas. They are good to get started, but for the most part I just do what feels good/hurts the worst. The feeling is one in the same!!
  • NiigataA
    NiigataA Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Tips and tricks... hmmm

Maybe change up your running surface? Find some trails assuming your not already running them.

For the ITB; Hip triangles- Leg out to the side, backwards then return to starting position. Glute exercises, maybe some donkey kicks, on all four and extend the leg out, deliberately kicking/extending back. And some quad strengthening. Maybe gym or just some high knees and squats (with proper form).

The calves. Just sore and overworked? Rotate shoes, perhaps cut some mileage back or add the cutback mileage to an additional day.

Brb checking your mileage...er kilometerage :)

Okay. Well honestly if it’s just “I’m sore” pain and that massage didn’t elicit any “oh kitten” pains and you can rub around and not find alarming pain, I’m going to suggest: 1. A cut back week, 2. Some base building. Which means try some shorter runs, more frequently. Maybe daily 2k runs or if you want the added time on your feet walk more and run slower.

And of course, are you in good shoes? You can try a magnesium supplement (if okay by your doc) and L-glutamine or BCAA’s can also help with muscle pain due to exercise.

All else, consult your favorite PT if needed.
    Good luck!

ETA oh how’s your stride length? Try shorter steps.

Thank you for the thoughtful and helpful reply! My run today felt quite a bit better so I think the massage, foam rolling and extra stretching is helping. I’ve had a lot of issues in the past with tight calves/hamstrings (toe walking as a child and I still do it if I’m not watching myself!) so things tend to always start pretty tight.

Do you have a link to a picture or video for the hip triangle? I’m having a hard time picturing them.

You have reminded me that I am past due for new shoes. So I’ll put that on the to do list!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @NiigataA yes, I'll find something on it. Even if I have to get dh do it for me and video it. We're out, so give me an hour-ish
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @NiigataA yes, I'll find something on it. Even if I have to get dh do it for me and video it. We're out, so give me an hour-ish

Here's dh doing it. I go a little slower, be sure to feel the glute Max on the push back, and the glute min and med on the abduction.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-4G2nqewe_fYnxkubmTfAVbJPOtbBW2M/view?usp=drivesdk
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent - the race sounds brutal and you finished where others gave up and DNF. You are a badass and you trained well! Congratulations on your finish!! You earned those sore muscles!

@NiigataA - Here is a link too to some exercises I have been doing for my ITB (I do all except the SISE HIP Bridge). I think glute exercises in general help take the pressure off the ITB and your hip so in addition to these I do glute bridges and squats.
    https://blog.mapmyrun.com/7-exercises-to-treat-and-prevent-it-band-syndrome/
    For your calves, I second the magnesium supplement suggestion by @elise4270. Also I have a Tiger tail stick roller that I find works really well for getting my calves rolled out. There are all kinds out there, padded ones, smooth ones or bumpy if you really want to dig in...
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent madness. Well done for surviving.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 8.0 miles
    6/2 – 2.0 miles + lower body PIYO
    6/3 – 5.0 miles + yoga
    6/4 – 1.2 miles TM + upper body PIYO
    6/5 – 5.0 miles + yoga
    6/6 – 1.1 miles TM + PIYO Sweat (20 minutes)
    6/7 – 5.0 miles
    6/8 – 11.25 miles
    6/9 – 1 mile
    6/10 – 4.65 miles
    6/11 – 1.20 miles
    6/12 - 4.64 miles + yoga
    6/13 – 1.61 miles
    6/14 – 1.11 miles + 40 minutes strength training
    6/15 – 3.1 miles + 11 miles hiking
    6/16 - rest
    6/17 – 5.01 miles + 90 minutes of weights, aerobics and yoga
    6/18 – 30 minutes lower body workout
    6/19 – 5 miles
    6/20 – rest (Company/United Way Day of Caring work at local Boys and Girls Club)
    6/21 – 10.43 miles
    6/22 – rest (travel to SC)
    6/23 – 5.3 miles
    6/24 – 10.5 miles
    6/25 – 2 miles + bootcamp in the sand on the beach
    6/26 – 9 miles
    6/27 – rest
    6/28 – 8 miles
    6/29 – biking 4 miles (travel home)
    6/30 – biking 5 miles

Total – 116.15 miles (Goal – 100 miles)

Thanks to vacation I was able to some extra running time in this month. Onward to July!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    We hit 7 miles on our way home and I did a Happy Birthday dance for Hobbes - 7 mile on his 7th birthday!
    Birthday Boy - drooling as he waits to eat his cookie :)
    zzurgf0v2740.jpg

Happy Birthday Hobbes! His discipline is amazing!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270, @Scott6255, @Tramboman, @ContraryMaryMary and anyone else I missed. Thanks! Mrs. PastorVincent and I went for a 2-mile shakeout walk today. A little stiff, but I expect to be running again soon. Need to figure out what my next target is now...