Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    I cleaned and organized my apartment before I left for vacation. I got back yesterday. It was so nice to walk into a clean apartment. There is still some more to do like organize my desk and clean out my closet. I plan to do that this weekend. I will also drop off some books to donate to the charity bookstore. I have 20 books to donate right now.

You're doing so well...YAY YOU! Keep up the terrific work! Man, nothing feels so good as coming home to a clean and nice looking/feeling place...BOOM!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    There are so many different charity trucks that will come right to your house and pick up your clothes etc. Plus I have given away clothes and stuff to friends. I don't feel bad about releasing these things because I know someone else can use it. Over a year ago I detoxed from a friend and didn't shed one tear. She was a liar and troublemaker so good riddance to bad rubbish. Went through all the kids' old toys etc. and donated so much. I still have more stuff to do in the house. One thing I can't seem to shake yet are magazines. I cannot stop tearing out articles, recipes, drug store finds etc. Those make the biggest mess in my house. I was only allowing myself to read Us/People or Readers Digest but find I am still tearing out stuff like the jokes from Readers Digest. I am trying to same magazines when I go on vacation only so they are sitting in a pile. But sometimes I do grab one. I do find them relaxing to read and I do find some interesting articles or helpful hints...so still need help with that.

What a WINNER you are--YAY YOU! That you are seeing/recognizing the magazine issue is tremendous. If you have one of these smart-phone or camera--you can always take a pic of the articles/jokes, etc. and make a file/folder and put them on your computer and toss those paper ones out and BOOM...no more excess mags hanging around collecting dust and you can look at the articles and things whenever you want to. In any case, you ROCK, period.
  • SueM123456
    SueM123456 Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2019
    I cleaned and organized my apartment before I left for vacation. I got back yesterday. It was so nice to walk into a clean apartment.
    My house used to look like a tornado had been through when I left for a holiday ..... until I got a cat and my neighbour was going to be coming in to feed him while I was away. I left the house spotless and it was so nice to come back to I still do it even if no-one else will see it.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    SueM123456 wrote: »
    I cleaned and organized my apartment before I left for vacation. I got back yesterday. It was so nice to walk into a clean apartment.
    My house used to look like a tornado had been through when I left for a holiday ..... until I got a cat and my neighbour was going to be coming in to feed him while I was away. I left the house spotless and it was so nice to come back to I still do it even if no-one else will see it.

This made me smile from ear to ear! YAY YOU! I have a good friend who uses a maid service, and sometimes I come over and she's cleaning furiously and tells me she has to clean up fast, because the maid service is coming over tomorrow. I LOVE her!!!! o:)
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    So many times I see ridiculous heels in obscure colours in the windows of second-hand shops and think "What a waste," even then, and doubt they'd even get re-used once more.

I see these and think, "WHY???". My friend has millions of shoes (or so it seems) which are piled up everywhere. Admittedly, she has a husband who runs (a lot) and two children but they seem to have an awful lot of shoes. Whereas I have two pairs - my running shoes and my regular shoes. One of my sons and one of my daughters also have two pairs and the other three members of my family have just one pair of shoes each.

But, back to de-cluttering.

I have decluttered my front garden and most of the back garden over the last two days. The back garden had become a bit of a glory hole but most of it is taking it's final journey tomorrow to the dump.

Happy days!
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    I do enjoy combing through this thread once in a while. You guys have some good ideas. As for today I recycled jars from the fridge. Salad dressing I tried once..things that I know I'll never use again and it feels pretty good. Seems so minor and comical but a good 7 jars out of my way and I feel refreshed.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited June 2019
    Hi all! Haven't been keeping up in here, but thought of you all when reading this:

Fast fashion: Should we change how we think about clothes?

SO insightful!

I lost 80 lbs and have kept it off over 3 years, and I bought the dress when I was a bit bigger, but it's white cotton lace stretch, and it does fit in all the right places.

ALWAYS bringing something to the table so GOOD to chew and food for thought as well. Thanks O!
    So many times I see ridiculous heels in obscure colours in the windows of second-hand shops and think "What a waste," even then, and doubt they'd even get re-used once more.

I see these and think, "WHY???". My friend has millions of shoes (or so it seems) which are piled up everywhere. Admittedly, she has a husband who runs (a lot) and two children but they seem to have an awful lot of shoes. Whereas I have two pairs - my running shoes and my regular shoes. One of my sons and one of my daughters also have two pairs and the other three members of my family have just one pair of shoes each.

But, back to de-cluttering.

I have decluttered my front garden and most of the back garden over the last two days. The back garden had become a bit of a glory hole but most of it is taking it's final journey tomorrow to the dump.

Happy days!

You ROCK, period. I was your definitely like your friend not too long ago and it's so, ummmmm, tough to "see" the problem--so tough, I'm so grateful and GLAD I'm no longer in/at that seemingly nice/cool/so-called "blessed" place of having just wayyyy too much "stuff", because all that "stuff" is a dark, confusing, messy, OVERWHELMING and scary place. I simply MUST and want to give God ALL the glory, honor and praise for opening my eyes and letting me see that the excessive excess and just mountains of "stuff" is not only unnecessary, but also a TRAP/SNARE and giving place to lack of self-control and contentment and appreciation with what I have and worse, only gave me a hunger for more and more (A.K.A. GREED/guttony and yuck) --Wow, so GLAD to be delivered from that (expensive and cluttered lifestyle) "mess". It's a on-going thing though--keeps me humble and accountable to God as well. I LOVE that!

Honey, you GO getting your yards, super {{{ Hugs and the highest of fives to/for you }}}} I KNOW what it's like to get those yards/gardens/outside house stuff. It's HARD and a lot of work, but once it's done, the maintenance is far easier and the looks of it all is just plain YES!
    aroze0928 wrote: »
    I do enjoy combing through this thread once in a while. You guys have some good ideas. As for today I recycled jars from the fridge. Salad dressing I tried once..things that I know I'll never use again and it feels pretty good. Seems so minor and comical but a good 7 jars out of my way and I feel refreshed.

Hi!!!!!
    YAY YOU, that's so tremendous--that you threw down the gauntlet with the jars and tossed them to GET OUTTA HERE land is wonderful, again...YAY YOU. Keep up the great job!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    fitchick37 wrote: »
    Today I'm going to make a little start. I've got a wardrobe full of UK 18s and I'm a UK 20 so my first little goal is to get in to those. But I want to sort them out, sort all the cute 50s vintage style stuff out as I love that and put them where I can find them. I'm slowly building a little confidence to relaunch myself on the world as 50s pinup. :smile:

LOVE your user name and post--YAY YOU!!!!! Thanks so much for contributing to this thread. <3o:)<3

• FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 336 Member
    I had previously sorted through my entire clothes closet and that remains well organized.

Today I spent some time getting rid of old cosmetics, lotions, and other toiletries I wasn't using. I cleaned out the closet in my home office, underneath my bathroom sink, and the linen closet in my hallway. Believe it or not, I tossed two garbage bags worth. Felt good!

I am planning to go through some boxes in the garage next.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    One of the big things I'm learning to do now is to not buy anything unless I know how to recycle it.

e.g. cosmetics (bought some excellent shampoo soap from NZ recently).

Also:

Clothing accounts for 6.7% of global climate impact – Qantas report 2018.
    Clothing causes 1/3 of microplastics in oceans.
    Clothing consumption is projected to double by 2030.
    Currently 80% of all clothing produced is incinerated or in landfill.
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    @Orphia I was just thinking about that 2 days ago. I felt bad throwing clothes away. It was only 2 items that were ripped but still. I had 4 bags and my friend went through it and took a giant bag and the rest goes to savers. But ya just throwing ripped pieces away doesnt feel right. What to do instead idk. Speaking of savers idk if any of you are familiar with the store but their prices for used clothing have gotten so high your better of buying new.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Two words: Craft. Supplies.

Almost anything can be hoarded under this category. :#
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 336 Member

I have so many boxes of this in my garage! That is my next project.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Wow! Everyone is doing so well! Me, not so much. This is another 100 degree week, so I'm cooking dinners before 10am, and lights are off unless I'm in that room, doors and blinds are closed. When its this hot, the ac has trouble, so I'm piddling around in the rooms I can see in without a light. Maintenance and office work mostly.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Wow! Everyone is doing so well! Me, not so much. This is another 100 degree week, so I'm cooking dinners before 10am, and lights are off unless I'm in that room, doors and blinds are closed. When its this hot, the ac has trouble, so I'm piddling around in the rooms I can see in without a light. Maintenance and office work mostly.

{{{{{{{{{ Hugs }}}}}}}}}} Is there a pool near-by you can enjoy? Also cool/cold baths or showers too. As always, I'm cheering for you Snoo!
  • snoo61

{{{{{{{{{ Hugs }}}}}}}}}} Is there a pool near-by you can enjoy? Also cool/cold baths or showers too. As always, I'm cheering for you Snoo!

The ocean is 20 minutes away, lol. Holiday week (Independence day is Thursday) so I'm staying as far from it as possible. LOL. I'm good, just doing what I can, where I can. The computer room will shine! Love you girl :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

The ocean is 20 minutes away, lol. Holiday week (Independence day is Thursday) so I'm staying as far from it as possible. LOL. I'm good, just doing what I can, where I can. The computer room will shine! Love you girl :)

I super LOVE you too and the way you think and post stuff is just plain TERRIFIC. You go girl, talking about making the computer room shine--BOOM, that the ticket you winner you {{{{ Hugs again and the highest of fives }}}}
  • snoo61

You are so right! I had 2 dressers and 3 trash bags, full of yarn. I made dog/cat rugs out of all that I wouldn't use, and donated them to shelters.
    They were thrilled.
    I still have 1 dresser of yarn, but will use that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!