The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @RubyRed427 I love your new picture! You look so refreshed and happy and lovely! :)

I agree :)
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Well I just popped in and thought I'd share. Im on vacation with the fam and the weather is very hot. We get off our boat yesterday for food and walk around and people are literally staggering drunk everywhere. Im seeing this and you know what I'm thinking.
    Were at a table and a woman...a very middle aged woman was taking a selfie while sipping a mixed drink..she looked awful...as in it wasnt her first drink.
    A while later we stop for ice cream..Im walking along with my daughter and a man was hanging over a railing puking in the water! He was if I had to guess beyond dehydrated drinking all day out in the sun. Barfing over the rail for the world to see.
    Happy to be enjoying the vaca AF!
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    @aroze0928 Isn't that attractive?? NOT!! I bet that's some incentive to remain AF!! Nice to be on this side of that type of behavior though. :) You never know though, one of those people who are having difficulty with alcohol may be on this thread or similar one day working towards a change...we can always hope for their healing. <3
  • aroze0928
    Options
    I know @lorrainquiche59. I felt so bad. Walking around greatful that I made this change for myself and my family.
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    aroze0928 wrote: »
    I know @lorrainquiche59. I felt so bad. Walking around greatful that I made this change for myself and my family.

They say timing is everything and it's interesting the timing on your comment yesterday is in line with the comment in the book, "Letting Go" for July 5 and I'm not connecting it to your feeling "grateful" for your sobriety but for me it triggered an issue that some of us may wrestle with as we become healthier. The title of the blurb for that day is "Survivor Guilt" For certain we feel grateful for our own sobriety, but may struggle with guilt cause ones around us that we care for are still stuck in their disease. Anyway, I'm going to share the following blurb in the hopes that it may help someone who is working through their own guilty feelings.

A couple of sentences resonated with me and hope they do with you also. " ...it hurts to leave behind those we love. But, keep moving forward anyway. Be patient. Other people's recovery is not our job. We cannot make them recover. We cannot make them happy......their recovery is not our business.....We can let go of others with love, and love ourselves without guilt."

For me the key to that sentence is "loving ourselves without guilt" Guilt used to be my middle name, but not so much any longer...in fact, my elderly friend made me a sign..."No more guilt" years ago and every time I come across it, it is a reminder of how I struggled for so long feeling responsible for other people's issues and not realizing I felt bad about myself because I couldn't do anything to change it for them & believe me, I tried!! How do you love yourself, when you feel bad about yourself??? That is a heavy burden to bear and can contribute to our own drinking issue without us realizing it....

Anyway, we can work at feeling good about our own choices and not worry so much about others' choices. This is my goal for today.
  • kidneygurl1
    kidneygurl1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't drank in 35 years but replaced booze with food. Went from 103 lbs 5'2" to 199 today. Dr. put me on 45 carb x3 (meals) plus 15 carb x2 (snacks) a day. I now see how the carb count in my fav foods was way too much.
  • Yellowstone1983
    Yellowstone1983 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    @donimfp I'm struggling with the same thing. And the rapid clip at which I have gained weight back in the last couple weeks has made me even more depressed. I need to get over the hump so I can feel good again, but without forgetting how crappy I feel now, so that I remain AF over the long haul
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    I had wine a couple of days this week. One day way too much. Tomorrow would have been Day 100 for me. I have that written on tomorrow's date on my calendar. BUMMER. But ok. It's a process. I'm leaving Monday for my FIL's 90th birthday celebration. There will be drinking. Not heavy drinking, but drinking. Don't Iknow how this is going to go. It's amazing how much even a little indulgence in alcohol sends me back to square one mentally. I feel SO good when I don't drink. I feel so depressed when I do drink. So it should be a no-brainer to choose not to drink. Right? I'm just talking to myself, but it helps to have this forum to do that. Have a great weekend, everyone.

I can relate. I feel so much better emotionally when I don’t drink. And I go to the gym more often.... one drink is too much and a bottle never enough. Hang in there ! 🌺
  • aroze0928
    Options
    @lorrainquiche59 letting go sounds like a book I should look into. Thanks for all the inspiring info you put on the table. It sounds like it could be helpful for me. Im going strong with the AF. And I know I have to keep going. I also have obstacles in my way and I need all the help I can get to figure out how to handle that. Maybe this book can help me too.
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    @RubyRed427 thanks for the Craig Beck video...some really good reminders :)

@donimfp You're going through a rough patch, and have been through a lot over the past year and in spite of all that, you've made great progress...please be kind to yourself. <3 I wish I could give you a hug in person.

• aroze0928
    Options
    If you set a goal not to drink and keep falling short...maybe, just maybe...there might be another matter...just saying

Of course there is we all know that. Cant say I've ever met a happy alcoholic. Thats why we're here.