• staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    90 minutes of yoga
    50 minutes running 8 km.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Very easy 5.5k, first time rowing my single this season. Some weaving around speeding single, several pairs, a four, and the coach-launches from the development camp the local university is running.

I'm wondering if Garmin falsely gave me extra calories for fear-induced elevated heart rate (not from the camp boats; from first-in-season rowing the 12"-wide-at-the waterline, 26-foot-long single shell, especially in the spots with grabby weeds . . . man, I hate swimming, especially if it happens when I really mean to be rowing). Stayed dry, except for sweat! :)
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Sleeping...then...sleeping some more. Best exercise when you're sick.
  • dvmmcw3094
    dvmmcw3094 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    80:20 cross train - hills 40 minutes
    3 X 12s pull up hang
    3 X 10 spider pushups
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    7/6/2019 - high school track during noon hour, 84F degrees and 35 percent humidity -

#1 - run 1.0 mile warmup in 11:21.

#2 - run 0.25 mile faster and run recover 0.25 mile slower - completed 4 rounds and 2.0 miles in 18:18 - splits and (mile pace equivalent) were: #1 = 1:49 (7:14) - #2 = 1:53 (7:31) - #3 = 1:51 (7:25) - #4 = 1:55 (7:40) - recovery times from 2:39 fastest to 2:47 slowest -

Plan was 6 rounds and another slow mile cool-down - threw in towel after 4 rounds, tired from 5-mile fun run on July 4th, good enough.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Rowed double 7/4, 7/5 - da usual 7k-ish.
    aokoye wrote: »
    ~11,400m in an 8 this morning. My Garmin seriously got the calorie count off today because while it wasn't a really difficult row (just long), I know I burned more than 184 calories :D

But yes, the row was ok - we got waked a bunch which wasn't enjoyable. The notable ones were the one right before we were going to push off the dock (where that one came from I don't know) and then two that occurred towards the end of practice. There were power boats on either side of us, one to our starboard side which I didn't see but both our cox and our coach saw and then one on our port side which I saw and thought they were talking about. The starboard side one wasn't so bad. The port side one was massive....happy 4th of July to you too.

Ugh to the wakes: Against the rules here to wake launch points, or human-powered boats, beyond minimums the powered hull permits, but happens All. The. Time. Twelve inch (plus) wake is dangerous to a boat with four inches freeboard! Once had 3 *%$#@* guys in home-built JetSki-like craft flip a single, then race around her flipped boat in tight circles as she tried to right the shell and get back in. WTF? Don't try to kill people: Think! I want everyone, including speedy powerboaters, to have fun in the water (and I get that some hydroplaning hulls throw less wake at speed) . . . but just be kind, people!

Garmin: Got chest belt? Wrist-only not that great for rowing IME: Loses contact, too much arm flexion. If already have chest belt . . . dang to the dang, eh?

That is completely and utterly appalling about the single that flipped. Last summer a power boat pulling a water skier flipped a quad. A quad! Thankfully there was a dragon boat crew out and one of the people in that boat had the peace of mind to predict what was about to happen and take a picture of the identifying information of the power boat. From what I understand they were fined and their permit was revoked

The second wake, on the 4th, was large enough that our coach wouldn't let us row through it in an 8.

Today's row was far more uneventful - around 11,500 meters. The water was amazing and my coach coach-coxed because of how few rowers we had (holiday weekend and such). That and there's a regatta coming up (that I'm not racing in) so a group went out in a quad in their race lineup, two people went out in a pair, and then a few people went out in singles. I feel like if there's anything I got out of today, it was blade work - backing the blade in and such....
    Also it sounds like at the regatta I'm going to in August I'll be in a 4 and a quad, but I'll have a better idea when lineups are officially announced (I would like to be in a mixed double but some chatting needs to happen between coaches).

Re the Garmin - I have a chest strap or two somewhere. I haven't worn one since I got the power meter on my bike and I'm honestly not super concerned at this point. I will probably get a new chest strap sometime this month likely the Wahoo Tickr due to its ability to transmit over ANT+ and Bluetooth. That way I'll have HR data when I start erging again.
  • aokoye
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Very easy 5.5k, first time rowing my single this season. Some weaving around speeding single, several pairs, a four, and the coach-launches from the development camp the local university is running.

I'm wondering if Garmin falsely gave me extra calories for fear-induced elevated heart rate (not from the camp boats; from first-in-season rowing the 12"-wide-at-the waterline, 26-foot-long single shell, especially in the spots with grabby weeds . . . man, I hate swimming, especially if it happens when I really mean to be rowing). Stayed dry, except for sweat! :)

Glad you got to take out your single! I don't remember if I mentioned, but I ended up contacting one of the sculling coaches to see about getting a private sculling lesson. I'm hoping I get put out in the rec single tomorrow, but we'll see. Depending on how early I get to the boat house, I'll probably just ask - I always get there early, but typically I'm not the first there and lineups for sculling start getting made fairly quickly.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Walked up a mountain, and along a ridge, and not quite in a circle, and through a bog, and back down again.

Probably about fifteen miles of hiking on Cader Idris. Just a pity the views were mostly of cloud :(
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Shoulders, elliptical, and stretching.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Long run Sunday.
    9miles at easy pace. Challenge atm is to keep going without stopping or walking. I can do the pace I want for my half next month in run/walk intervals but my PT wants me to run the whole thing. Today's run was a lot more hilly than the half I'm training for (but I am running a 5 miler on part of the route in a couple weeks), and I was slightly slower than I need for my pr attempt. Battled with the legs from mile 6 onwards too, they wanted to stop and I wanted to keep going. So all in all proud that in the last few months I've gone from run/walk intervals for anything over 3 miles to running 9 miles without stopping.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Yesterday, I indoor rowed 4 intervals of 800m with 2 minutes rest between intervals. Average pace was 2.10, quickest was the last at 2.05.

On a walk through throygh a park, I attempted a muscle up at the pull up bar. (I do pull ups throughout the day, and did 5 on this bar before coming up with this cunning plan.) I have never tried one before, and I don't understand the technique. It did not go well.

Then, later, I lifted, working up to sets of 5 in:
    55 kgs bench; 5 sets of 120 kgs, deadlift.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    7/6
    Yoga and elliptical
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @drmwc, impressive that your last round was the fastest. That’s a goal of mine when doing running intervals that I’ve yet to achieve.

Good job!
  • dvmmcw3094
    dvmmcw3094 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    80:20 Long run 60 minutes.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1/2 mile run (and it only hurt a little), 1 mile walk, exercise video
  • aokoye
    Options
    ~6,300 meters in a single today. A not rec single though because we only have one rec single, there's another person who will only go out in a rec single, and thus I compromised. It actually probably ended up being a good thing given the coaching situation and my general goals. Today was also the Portland Bridge Swim so there were 100 swimmers that I had to avoid and they were everywhere. Which is to say, they were across the entire width of the river at one point.

But yeah I ended up getting a lot more comfortable in the single which was good. The primary person who was coaching me focused on my grip (made more difficult because the oars that are my for people my height were taken so I had to take ones that were too long for me) and the drive and about a third of the way through practice I started getting really comfortable. I got to the point where I was able to row comfortable while out of sight of a launch which was great. Essentially, the fact that my coaches are very aware of my needing to not develop bad habits in a single is part of why being in an intermediate single isn't a terrible thing. That and it gets me used to the tippyness quicker. I also managed to do a pretty good job of docking (with a bit of help, but I didn't need anyone to pull me in).
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Bench Press Warm up
    5 x 20.0 kg (44lb) x 3

Bench Press Main
    5 x 25.0 kg (55lb) x 2
    7 x 30.0 kg (66lb)

Bench Press Boring but BIG sets
    10 x 22.5 kg (49lb) x 5

Close grip bench press
    10 x 20.0 kg (44lb) x 5

Crosstrainer x 10 mins
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I went for a hike today. I aimed for 17 miles; I spotted a fun diversion and did 20.