July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @emmamcgarity sounds like you picked up some great tips there!
    @rheddmobile can you find a wetsuit anywhere?
    @quilteryoyo awesome job and cool bling! In my head the second half of a run is always downhill. Shame the roads and trails didn't read that memo 😂
    @katharmonic thanks, I need to research strava statistics and move to a town of slow runners so I can actually run with someone. I've even tried to start my own group but apparently the only other person my speed is a grumpy old man who hates people 🤔
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Since this was the One Small Step race in celebration of the moon landing, I decided to run where this "woman had never run before" - the Tusculum Trail about 45 minutes from my house. I got started with the run at about 7:50.
    According to my Garmin, it was 75°F with a humidity level of 89% and no wind. Garmin says the feel like was 75°F, but I beg to differ! It was HOT!!!

75F with 89% humidity is horrible. With that much water in the air your body's cooling systems fail miserably. Well done getting your race done and PB's despite the heat!
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    So the local idol I mentioned earlier messaged me to invite me to join a group of women who run together near here. I said thanks but they're out of my league for now. She was like 'meh they train at 6 min per km.' Umm I train at like 8 min per km 😥 She gave me a thumb up and went silent. Now I feel like that kid nobody wants on their team at school 🙄😂
    Great job on the devil hill segment @eleanorhawkins! Glad my comment was helpful to you too. Love the devil hill run mileage, so perfect.

And don't let that conversation with your "idol" get to you. We're all in different places. I know what you mean, when someone's "oh, I'm so slow" is so much faster than me. Doesn't mean you're not awesome!

Yeah, see the problem is what you are used to. When I saw to my wife "yeah, just going to get a slow run in cause I am tired" or whatever, I am still running several minutes per mile faster than she does. So your "idol" runs say 4 min/km - then "6 min/km" IS SLOW, for her. And that is her world. People used to that level often forget the rest of the paces. To someone whose world is 4 min/km, 8 would be like walking. You have to deliberately force your mind to readjust ranges when you are dealing with people outside your own ranges. It is not something that comes naturally.

It is like me saying "a short run" - by which I mean like 8 or 10 miles, and people on this thread be like "8 miles? It would take me WEEKS to run that far!"

I doubt she meant anything by her comment, it just takes extra thought and time to mental readjust and she probably was not ready for that.

@PastorVincent oh yeah I totally get that, she's a really nice woman and she's the local 'idol' because she wins everything out there, so obviously it's a bit like when I read on the forums that someone maintains on 2800 calories per day when that would be 2 days for me. Brain just cannot compute it 😂
    I was merely raging at the fact that I'm unable to find anyone to run with due to the fact that I am... one of the most sedate. I know, I know, still lapping the ones on the couch.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @Tramboman true that, just gets a bit lonely sometimes but luckily I have all of you awesome folks for 'company'.
    @Avidkeo awww thanks! Go pick up some heavy stuff 😁 Fingers and toes crossed for the house, it's cooooooool!