Why we need carbs.

Options

Replies

• GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Im outie.... no sense in wasting my time!!!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    No i dont, but my mothers entire side does and all of them eat like crap (fried food and lots of sweets).... my father side is Greek and they all eat a Mediterranean diet and all have lived to be 90 years or older with no health problem where my mothers side all have diabetes and heart problems to boot!!! Do what you like and i will do what works for me!!!

GiGi76, thank you for answering my diabetic question.

I'm diabetic educated. That's why I have shared what I know. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Sorry to break it to you but you don't owe this website. Can't tell me where to post and not to post.

I'm just going to ignore you. So, you can quote me all you want. I will not respond to you.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    boo hoo hoo
  • bennight72
    Options
    I'm not here to debate the high- carb/ low carb battle.

Personally, I think everyone has their own "thing" that works for them. My roommate's theory is "calories in, calories out". Another friend watches her calories. One lady does HCG. I personally have done the Atkins and loved it! It worked FOR ME... not for any of them.

We are all different, so why shouldn't our life style choice be?
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    ahh, I couldn't cut out carbs if someone paid me! I pretty much subside on toast and noodles. Bad, I know. But oh so yummy :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    From someone being a T2 Diabetic since 2003 - I can tell you first hand that Doctors, Endocrinologists, Diabetic Nutrtionists and Dieticians DO NOT say to eat 45 grams of carbs per meal and 15 grams of carbs per snack - unless you want to keep giving yourself a shot everyday.

This is WAY too many carbs for someone that is Diabetic.

Please share with me, the amount of carbohydrates your diabetic nutritionists told you to eat per meal and per snack.

It was recommended to me similar to the article to keep between 20-30 grams of carbs per day, higher fat and moderate protein until I was off the Diabetes medications for at least 6 months to ensure stabilization of my blood sugar numbers and my A1C.

Then as the Atkins book mentions to start climbing the carb ladder and adding in the foods as it is recommended in the book.

When diagnosed in 2003, my Endocrinologist handed me the Atkins book and told me to read it and get started while writing prescriptions for the medications. I went every 2 weeks until I was weaned off the medication while doing Atkins and have only had to go back on medication 1 time in the past 8 years and that was due to an car accident in which I didn't have control of what I was eating.

And, the research is showing that a VERY low carb diet will in fact reverse T2 Diabetes. So it is just silly to say we should be consuming that many carbs - that is 1980's mentatlity that led my grandmother to having both of her legs amputated up to the hip and then the start of having one arm amputated. I am not going to live like that.

How many carbs should a person, diabetic and non diabetic should be eating?

The number of carbs should always be controlled for a diabetic and as we are finding is best to keep them controlled as non-diabetics also. However the number for each person is going to vary, whether they are Diabetic or not.

There are a number of factors that go into the carb threshold for each person. Nothing is a one size fits all, however the 20 grams of carbs is used to help the body detox from the sugar and carb addiction utilizing fat, protein and carbs in the form of green, leafy vegetables for the first 2 weeks. In the case of most diabetics, the 20 grams of carbs is maintained until the blood sugars are stabilized with no medications. Then you will start adding in more vegetables, next is fruits, then nuts, dairy, alcohol, legumes / other starchy vegetables, and lastly grains.

Grains are added in last on Atkins because they are the highest on the glycemic index and most likely to cause cravings for unhealthy carbs to pop up due to food intolerances.

1. Age
    2. Activity Level
    3. Fitness and Exercise level
    4. Other health factors
    Etc..................
  • AZackery
    Options
    Carbs are good for my body.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

I am happy for you, they are not so good for mine
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

That's sad. There aren't many foods that don't have carbs. What do you eat? Or do you just have to eat them and suffer?
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Nothing sad about eating loads of bacon! hahaha
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nothing sad about eating loads of bacon! hahaha

JUST bacon would be pretty sad to me. I suppose you could take supplements to get nutrients but still, that would be a pretty boring diet. And, since it does have some carbs if you actually ate enough bacon to be full you might still have problems if your body didn't like carbs.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    It seems to me that there's a lot of room for debate about this topic.
    Low carbs may not work for some people, but may work for others.
    I am just going to stick to a balanced diet that includes complex carbs, protein, dairy, and fruits/vegetables.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    OH my days, I read a post maybe 20 mins or so ago..where someone basically said `I will sit back and watch the fireworks`...and it is so true!

Wow, it has got very angry and heated...bree2012 you have put the cat amongst the pigeons... I hope you did not intend to do that???
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

That's sad. There aren't many foods that don't have carbs. What do you eat? Or do you just have to eat them and suffer?

eat eat some carbs from veggies , just have to keep my total rather low
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    When I was diabetic (gestational) the highest amount of carbohydrates that my body could handle was about 30 g at breakfast and 45 g at meals. Any more than that and my blood sugar would be above the normal levels.

I followed the diet, felt great, didn't gain excessive weight during pregnancy and lost it easily afterwards. I didn't get the sleepy feeling after lunch anymore either. I never had to use insulin or other meds.

I had a lot more issues with my weight and pregnancy in general the third time around when I didn't have diabetes and didn't have to follow a low-carb diet.