Somebody help me wrap my head around this.

Replies

• Addictead
    Addictead Posts: 66 Member
    The opposite happened to me, My TDEE is in the range of 250-400 higher than expected from all the calculations, All I figure is that I pace around/fidget more than a normal person my height/weight/age is calculated for. Maybe the opposite is true for your husband, Even with the extra exercise maybe the daily movement he does is less than expected?
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Check into that antihistamine (some have been known to cause a bit of problems with weight), then get his free thyroid hormones, free testosterone, and cortisol levels checked to rule anything like that out. Consider age and genetics as small factors to why his calorie needs are low for his weight. With as much time as you are together, I doubt he's fooling you esp. since he seems so determined. He may just be scale number driven in his mind, and it's harder for him to see the changes to his body that you see and that the tape measure proves. Sometimes it takes a long while for us to forget what we looked like before we made the changes. There's a delay in our brains. I don't think you said what his bf% is, but it is entirely possibly he's close to his goal, and is just really frustrated with how slow it is.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Is your husband as concerned about all this as you are? Why isn’t he starting his own thread to get input and advice?

He uses MFP but has never been active in the forums.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Thank you for your perspective. We talked quite a bit today, I suggested he keep eating what he's eating and if it takes him a year to lose 5-10lbs, well so be it - as long as he's still making progress. I know, it's a lifestyle, it's not a temporary thing.

He said he'd be so happy to have this kind of progress and recomp - if he'd lost a few more pounds first. If he had made it to a healthy weight for his height, he'd be happy to stop losing and recomp. It's just so close.

As far as his lifting, he is also frustrated with his progress there too and he's put it up to eating at a deficit. He's lifted weights off and on all his life, he isn't new to training per se - but he's taken some time off or lighter here and there. He's getting serious about it and feels he should be able to progress more in his lifts for his age, size, etc. He also feels the extra weight holds him back too, he still can't get one chin up or pull up, and I'm sure if he lost weight it would be easier.

I think we do need to celebrate his victories. He's down to a 34 in pants, he started with 38's being tight. He's wearing a medium belt (barely) that he has had since Christmas and been unable to wear. He bought a pack of large undershirts only to get home and realize he really needs mediums.
    With all due respect...I've read every reply in this thread and firmly believe what your husband needs more than anything else is perspective.

There are 2 million threads in this forum telling people to take it slow, let the process work, learn that new lifestyle of eating properly and getting fit, and it sounds to me as if that's exactly what he is doing.

4" off his waist....Four inches, that's awesome! Not being able to do pull up? Maybe he just isn't there yet. It took a good friend of mine over a year dropping from ~255 to ~180 before he could do any. Have him just do aussie pullups for a while to build the proper muscle groups.

Sounds to me as if he's doing just fine and is just a little frustrated. Start hanging pics of him at his heaviest around the house. He will see it before long.

This is also a strong possibility. We all don't progress at the same rate, but progress is progress...
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Is your husband as concerned about all this as you are? Why isn’t he starting his own thread to get input and advice?

He uses MFP but has never been active in the forums.

But is he even concerned about his progress or is this just something that is bugging you for whatever reason? Are you reading him all these responses?

Yes, he is concerned. He brought it up (constantly) which is why I was asking.

I have always just assured him it will work with time, but I was starting to feel like a broken record just saying "don't worry, give it more time" over and over.

I have summarized the information, I don't read him the verbatim responses.