Help please! I'm a beginner at all of this..

Options
Hello, I am an extreme beginner at eating healthy and losing weight, I've tried multiple times over the years but nothing seemed to work for me and I gave up easily. I'm sticking to it this time.. two weeks now of logging meals and finding hethy alternatives, I still snack late at night but that is a current battle. I'm getting frustrated because I have not been losing ANY weight. Not even 1 pound! I walk 10,000 steps at least 5 days a week. I will incorporate more exercise as I lose weight, but I'm to uncomfortable at my size. I don't know what to do and I wish I had a mentor through all of this. I am 232 lbs and 5'9". I gain weight evenly everywhere so my problem fat deposits are, well, everywhere. My goal is to lose 80 pounds by summer 2021 and be physically active at that point. Is there anyone out there who is willing to give me some tips to help improve myself? Thank you! P.S. sorry if this isn't the proper spot to ask this, I'm very desperate for help...

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Hi. What is your daily calorie allotment?

Do you use a food scale?
  • chefbender5310
    chefbender5310 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Set goals you can keep each day. Walking by itself is good and it sounds like you are doing well with that! Good job! The evening snacking needs to be your priority it sounds like...so when you do your food diary be honest and put that amount that you think you will be eating in there and adjust your other meals to account for the calories if you can..best of luck to you!
  • KayPoel93
    KayPoel93 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Do you use a food scale?

2100, I don't use a scale..
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    KayPoel93 wrote: »

Do you use a food scale?

That seems high. Are you really tall? NHS recommendations are 2000 calories per day for women.

One of the top reasons people here don't lose at first is that they fail to weigh what they're eating. It's a good investment.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Do you use a food scale?

That seems high. Are you really tall? NHS recommendations are 2000 calories per day for women.

One of the top reasons people here don't lose at first is that they fail to weigh what they're eating. It's a good investment.

10k steps puts her in a pretty active category. Without knowing for sure it should create about a 750 calorie deficit over the course of 7 days for 1.5 pound of loss per week. Without a food scale, of course, it would be hard to verify her actual calories.

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Do you use a food scale?

10k steps puts her in a pretty active category. Without knowing for sure it should create about a 750 calorie deficit over the course of 7 days for 1.5 pound of loss per week. Without a food scale, of course, it would be hard to verify her actual calories.

With 10k steps, isn't the average burn nearer 500cals?

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Do you use a food scale?

With 10k steps, isn't the average burn nearer 500cals?

I am not 100 percent certain being still new to steps myself. I know people around here often say that puts you in a fairly active category so I ran the TDEE based on that. Either way it would create a deficit since her sedentary TDEE is about 2100. Either more calories are being eaten or the weight loss is being masked by TOM or another water weight fluctuation.
  • tkmcc85
    tkmcc85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Forgot to note that my calories from walking became considerably more accurate (and lower) when I put Pedometer++ on my phone and linked it to MFP. Walking doesn't burn as many calories as the exercise database entries indicate. Sedentary lifestyle assumes 5000 steps/day, so I don't start getting many walking exercise calories until I'm over 5000 steps.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You don’t mention anything about how many calories you eat or how you’re tracking your food.

Weight loss is 100% about consistently eating fewer calories than your body burns. You can ensure that you’re in a calorie deficit by weighing and logging all your food.

Exercise alone will not cause you to lose weight. Eating “healthy” alone will not cause you to lose weight. Cutting out snacking alone will not cause you to lose weight. The only way those things are relevant to weight loss is if they help you stay in a calorie deficit.

All of this!

I started out years ago losing weight by the method of "eating healthier, eating less at each meal, exercising 10X more" and it worked....SLOWLY. It took me over 6 years to lose 45 lb doing that. I started over 300 lb.

I then tried the calorie counting here with religiously tracking every bite I ate. I lost 90 lb in a little over 1 year and got to where I want to be. I've now maintained for 6 years doing the same, although I've relaxed in my logging considerably as I've learned what works & doesn't work and have a better idea of calorie/macro content of my meals.

It really does work, if you don't mind logging everything...totally worth it.

PS another thing that made a huge difference for me was figuring out the best times to eat my meals and how many calories for each meal. I tend to eat only 10% of my calories at breakfast and then 40% at lunch and 50% at dinner, very rarely snack. In the past I was eating 20% at breakfast, 20% at lunch, 30% in various snacks through the day, and 30% at dinner. This is all kind of TMI I'm sure, as different things work for different people. But it has helped immensely with my feeling satisfied & energetic all day. When I was snacking more and eating smaller lunch & dinner, I felt vaguely hungry ALL the time and never satisfied.
  • KayPoel93
    Options

Do you use a food scale?

I'm 5' 9" average height. I am going to stick to just 2000. Thank you!
  • KayPoel93
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You don’t mention anything about how many calories you eat or how you’re tracking your food.

Weight loss is 100% about consistently eating fewer calories than your body burns. You can ensure that you’re in a calorie deficit by weighing and logging all your food.

Exercise alone will not cause you to lose weight. Eating “healthy” alone will not cause you to lose weight. Cutting out snacking alone will not cause you to lose weight. The only way those things are relevant to weight loss is if they help you stay in a calorie deficit.

All of this!

I started out years ago losing weight by the method of "eating healthier, eating less at each meal, exercising 10X more" and it worked....SLOWLY. It took me over 6 years to lose 45 lb doing that. I started over 300 lb.

I then tried the calorie counting here with religiously tracking every bite I ate. I lost 90 lb in a little over 1 year and got to where I want to be. I've now maintained for 6 years doing the same, although I've relaxed in my logging considerably as I've learned what works & doesn't work and have a better idea of calorie/macro content of my meals.

It really does work, if you don't mind logging everything...totally worth it.

PS another thing that made a huge difference for me was figuring out the best times to eat my meals and how many calories for each meal. I tend to eat only 10% of my calories at breakfast and then 40% at lunch and 50% at dinner, very rarely snack. In the past I was eating 20% at breakfast, 20% at lunch, 30% in various snacks through the day, and 30% at dinner. This is all kind of TMI I'm sure, as different things work for different people. But it has helped immensely with my feeling satisfied & energetic all day. When I was snacking more and eating smaller lunch & dinner, I felt vaguely hungry ALL the time and never satisfied.

I am currently doing small meals and a lot of snacking throughout the day, still always feel hungry, I'll try bigger meals. Thank you for the insight!