August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Just signed up for my HM on Nov. 3rd. I've put the correct times in the Run for Kevin spreadsheet. Kind of terrified now because I made the mistake of reading the small print and the cutoff time is 2:40. I managed to do my first and only HM back in December in just over 2:30, but I was doing 9 minute run, 1 minute walk intervals for that whereas now I'm stuck on 1 or 1.5 minute runs and 30 second walks. AND I messed my legs up last time. So yeah, the panic begins now and will continue for the next 3 months! Sorry folks!
    Signed up for a 5.5k race the Sunday afterwards too, although I have no idea whether I'll be in any state to run it. But the scenery is pretty and I didn't get the chance to run that one last year. You only live once, right?
    I've asked the local women's running group to let me know when they're planning a short/easy run too to go see if I can keep up, cause I'm feeling rather lonely atm and it might help me make some friends outside my computer. But that would mean interacting with other human beings. Argh!
    Coffee anyone? lol

A 5k a week after a HM should be fine. A lot of people advise running a 5k the day after as a "recovery run" even. I would not stress that.

You have 3 months to get ready for the Half, and since you have already run a half, I am sure that will be plenty of time. Pick a good training plan, and stick with it and you should have no issue.

You got this! :)

Yip, started it yesterday. And I've just taken a few cutback weeks after following a 15km plan (well it was 9 miles actually, dunno why it was classified as 15km lol) which went fine. I know I can do the distance, and I am pretty certain (famous last words?) that if I run-walk-run it and take it easy I should have no issues physically. Trouble is that cutoff isn't very generous for those of us who are 'velocitically challenged' and that will be sitting in the back of my mind the entire time. Serves me right for reading the boring stuff most people ignore! I may be resisting the urge 13 weeks out to ascertain and write down the exact times I would need to be passing the check points (every 5km) to match my time from last year. But that would be silly, and obsessive. Right? :-D

Umm... it could be but... uhh... well that IS what the many runners do. :) My marathon this year I had my splits tattooed on my arm so that I could hit my desired times:

edzd7mc8yee9.jpg

Really, it is a good plan if you have a time you want to hit or beat.

Yeahhhhhhh but did you wear that for 13 weeks beforehand? :-D
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Just signed up for my HM on Nov. 3rd. I've put the correct times in the Run for Kevin spreadsheet. Kind of terrified now because I made the mistake of reading the small print and the cutoff time is 2:40. I managed to do my first and only HM back in December in just over 2:30, but I was doing 9 minute run, 1 minute walk intervals for that whereas now I'm stuck on 1 or 1.5 minute runs and 30 second walks. AND I messed my legs up last time. So yeah, the panic begins now and will continue for the next 3 months! Sorry folks!
    Signed up for a 5.5k race the Sunday afterwards too, although I have no idea whether I'll be in any state to run it. But the scenery is pretty and I didn't get the chance to run that one last year. You only live once, right?
    I've asked the local women's running group to let me know when they're planning a short/easy run too to go see if I can keep up, cause I'm feeling rather lonely atm and it might help me make some friends outside my computer. But that would mean interacting with other human beings. Argh!
    Coffee anyone? lol

A 5k a week after a HM should be fine. A lot of people advise running a 5k the day after as a "recovery run" even. I would not stress that.

You have 3 months to get ready for the Half, and since you have already run a half, I am sure that will be plenty of time. Pick a good training plan, and stick with it and you should have no issue.

Yip, started it yesterday. And I've just taken a few cutback weeks after following a 15km plan (well it was 9 miles actually, dunno why it was classified as 15km lol) which went fine. I know I can do the distance, and I am pretty certain (famous last words?) that if I run-walk-run it and take it easy I should have no issues physically. Trouble is that cutoff isn't very generous for those of us who are 'velocitically challenged' and that will be sitting in the back of my mind the entire time. Serves me right for reading the boring stuff most people ignore! I may be resisting the urge 13 weeks out to ascertain and write down the exact times I would need to be passing the check points (every 5km) to match my time from last year. But that would be silly, and obsessive. Right? :-D

Umm... it could be but... uhh... well that IS what the many runners do. :) My marathon this year I had my splits tattooed on my arm so that I could hit my desired times:

edzd7mc8yee9.jpg

No, but many people set their watches to beep at pace/time/distance so that they can do the same. Seriously if you have a target time or pace, it only makes sense to track where you are in respect to that target.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Coffee anyone? lol

edzd7mc8yee9.jpg

No, but many people set their watches to beep at pace/time/distance so that they can do the same. Seriously if you have a target time or pace, it only makes sense to track where you are in respect to that target.

So I now know EXACTLY the paces I need to run at both to stay ahead of the sweep cart and to match my other HM race time. Now the challenge will be stopping myself (in keeping with this easy pace for most of training theory) from doing every run at that pace just to convince myself I can. The plan I'm using this time includes a mid-week race pace run every second week, which the one I used last time didn't, but the longest of those is only 5 miles.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Coffee anyone? lol

edzd7mc8yee9.jpg

So I now know EXACTLY the paces I need to run at both to stay ahead of the sweep cart and to match my other HM race time. Now the challenge will be stopping myself (in keeping with this easy pace for most of training theory) from doing every run at that pace just to convince myself I can. The plan I'm using this time includes a mid-week race pace run every second week, which the one I used last time didn't, but the longest of those is only 5 miles.

Then do that, and do the pace run when it is asked for and only when it is asked for. :) You should not do EVERY run at race pace, but every other week to push yourself is a good idea. Stick to the plan, and relax. :)
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Coffee anyone? lol

I think it's good to be detailed in your planning, as long as you are prepared to make changes as necessary. Would save you from worrying about it and trying to do math while running the race!
  • zamirasoni
    zamirasoni Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo - Hope your ear infections gets better soon.

@Lazy_Bones_85 - That blows, hope you can get some antibiotics and get better soon.

@autumnblade75 - Life happens, as long as you get back in your own pace. This weekend, we get to travel 12 hrs to see my nephew and niece. So, all my runs moved to mid week.

@martaindale - I feel you, literally, since i live here too. Yesterday was my day off, but today temp was not much better. The humidity is making my runs miserable.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I DID A WORKOUT YESTERDAY!!! It was back & biceps but I did it. And I looked at last weeks step average (4k per day) and set myself a goal of 5k average per day this week. I hit that yesterday. Today I'll get my steps in and grocery shop so tomorrow I'll do another strength workout.

YAY!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    August goal: 100 miles

8/1: 6.30 miles
    8/4: 11.06 miles
    8/6: 6.27 miles

23.63/100 miles completed

I ran 6.27 miles this morning. It wasn't a bad run, but it was so warm. I'm really ready for summer to be over. The dew point was 69° and the temperature was 77°F, feels like 78°F with humidity at 76% at 5:50 this morning. There was a little 4 mph wind which helped a little, but I am definitely ready for some cooler temps. I did run through the water sprinklers at Mrs. Walton's house so that helped a little too, but everyone else is watering earlier or not watering at all. I do carry water with me, and when I took a sip about halfway through the run I poured some on the back of my neck and that helped too.

@eleanorhawkins I don't think that's silly or obsessive at all. I think that is just "being a runner". Good luck on the HM. You have plenty of time and you'll do great!

@avidkeo and @Lazy_Bones_85 Hope you both feel better soon!

@RunsOnEspresso WTG! Good to see you back on your feet!

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    @mbaker566 What a pretty place to run. And that dog party looks awesome! I always love your dog pictures.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @mbaker566 What a pretty place to run. And that dog party looks awesome! I always love your dog pictures.
    it is. i feel pretty lucky to have the trail.
    thank you, it's a rotating monthly dog party
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @polskagirl01 YAY!! Great job! sounds like a fun adventure.
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Wow! That is so awesome! Great job and lovely pictures!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    zamirasoni wrote: »
    @autumnblade75 - Life happens, as long as you get back in your own pace. This weekend, we get to travel 12 hrs to see my nephew and niece. So, all my runs moved to mid week.

If I don't make any further adjustments, but continue the 2 days on 1 day off pattern, I'll be fine for the month. If I have an extra unintended rest day somewhere, that's just adding to the miles in the bank, so I can run longer on a day I do run. With a goal of "No More Than X Miles" I'm better off not adding an extra run day to make up for it, anyway.

Enjoy the family visit. Totally worth rescheduling (or even skipping!) a run for that!