Am I really committing a crime against humanity?

Options

Replies

• 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    When you are trying your best not to eat something because it will not help with your weight loss, having it constantly placed in front of you or being asked to eat it can be rough. It is kinda like you really do want to eat it but you are choosing and trying not to eat it. But you can be easily swayed by all the pushing.
    I have officially become abstinent with soooo many foods. Just started this on Monday (yes, had to restart on a Monday). It seems that if you do not have a certain issue, people just don't understand. Yes, just eating that one doughnut could make me start binging for a week, a month or even a year. Some very wise people wrote great posts here. I copied a lot of it to reread later. It is so much easier to not take that first bite than to resist having the second bite or second or third or fourth portion. And for me, when people talk about good or bad food, for me, I do believe there is a distinction. Bad food - the food that can cause high blood pressure, heart problems, clogged arteries, diabetes etc., foods that are unhealthy for your body - I mean, are we just here to lose weight or are we here to help get a healthy body? I wish for the OP to be firm in her "No thank you".
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Processed and ultra processed are not the same. Frozen spinach is processed. Whole grain bread is processed, rolled oats are processed, canned tomatoes are processed, cottage cheese is processed, smoked salmon is processed, boneless, skinless chicken breast is processed.

Ironically, the link defines ultraprocessed as microwavable and ready to eat, so would not include the oh so evil homemade pie.

But again not the topic of this thread.

While you are correct that processed and ultra processed are not the same, everyone I know IRL, along with most new posters on MFP, say "processed" when they mean "ultra processed".

This is the first I time I remember seeing the term ultra processed used. The subject was confusing as it was so adding this layer just makes my head hurt.

Really? New posters generally say "processed" when they mean what many MFP regulars understand to be "ultra processed" so I often come along and point this out and drop in the link to the Brazilian definitions. Ultra Processed starts on p 39: http://bvsms.saude.gov.br/bvs/publicacoes/dietary_guidelines_brazilian_population.pdf
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Re the little tangent of not throwing out food because people are starving somewhere else.

My husband, who is over weight, has this thing about eating all the food on his plate, eating the last peice of cake etc so it doesnt get wasted because when he was a child they were hammered with this Eat it all, think of starving children in Africa/India/China/Somewhere

Although rationally, whether he eats the above or throws it out or gives it to the dog make zero difference to anyone else in the world.

If he wanted to do something planned, like not buy packets of biscuits or make some other cost saving change to his diet and donate that money to Savethechildren or similar, that would make sense.

Just not eating or not eating random excess food does not.

Yes, as a child I too was brainwashed by my mother about the "starving children in Africa." This was not so much a problem at home, where reasonable portions of balanced meals were served, but did become a problem for me once I left the house and was eating at restaurants, where the portions were quite excessive.

It took a lot of effort on my part to reprogram my brain out of the "Clean Plate Club" mentality.

As you and others have said, me eating excess food or throwing it out makes no actual difference to hungry people. I do try to minimize my own food waste, but more practically, do things like contribute to my churches' food drives, participate in making meals for the homeless, and donate goats https://www.oxfamgifts.com/gifts/donate-goat/ (lots of other ways to donate, but we had goats when I was a kid (pun intended) so I have a fondness for them.)
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    What I find amusing...in the real world (outside MFP) I have never run across anyone that is confused about some of the terminology that is often the center of debate here..."junk food"...processed..."good/bad food". No one seems to care how you phrase things...they all seem to know what these terms mean. I was shocked the first time that I read one of these arguments about those terms...terms that I have heard, used and understood my entire life.

Also...I don't think that whatever terminology that you use doesn't guarantee success or failure.

This is soooo true.