What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Today’s workout was a 14 mile hike.
    Yesterday’s workout was a 19 mile hike.

Tomorrow’s workout will be to not go anywhere or do anything...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    <snippity>
    I also envy anyone who can get more than 5 coached rows a week...Mind you all of mine are necessarily coached - I haven't taken the captain's test to take a double out without a coach, let alone a single...on a river, having sculled in a single fewer times that I can count on one hand (and we only have the one rec single which I might get out in on Sunday fingers crossed). And yeah, a novice single at HOCR...mayyyyybe a junior who has been rowing 5-6 days a week year round mostly in a single. Maybe. But I can't imagine a coach giving that bid to a novice unless they were brilliant or it was an excruciatingly small team.

I don't get any coached rows, unless I pay for them. And I don't have the wherewithal to pay for 5 a week, for sure.

One of the advantages (?) of tiny clubs is (often) a major lack of formality . . . sometimes even a scary lack of formality. We have a good-sized batch of new scullers every year who are pretty darned alarming in a single, but they're out there anyway, getting stuck in tree branches or weed mats, rowing obliviously out of traffic pattern, and all manner of distressing things. They're not even forced to do a flip test (encouraged, yes; required, no).

Our club is mostly singles, among the club-owned boats (a lot of rec models, a very few racing models since people who get serious often buy their own and rent rack space), something like 3 club doubles (maybe 4?), and 3-4 quads (not sure which are rowable, but we need them for the learn to row class).

At our place, you take the 6 week class (2 nights a week), row a few times at an open rowing session afterward, pay your dues, and you get a key to the boathouse to row anytime you want, at your own risk. (A year or two ago, I arrived to find 2 newbies sitting the rec singles on the dock before rowing!!)

As a single sculler, I believe one could enter the HOCR lottery on one's own, with a club affiliation perhaps, or even unaffiliated with a USRowing membership (for which one just pays money). The requirements to enter the HOCR lottery for entry slots are remarkably slight. Keep in mind that many people own their own singles. (I do, and have only been in it twice this season. ;) ). Used are not that expensive, necessarily.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    an hour 15min barre/yoga mix
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited August 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    <snippity>
    I also envy anyone who can get more than 5 coached rows a week...Mind you all of mine are necessarily coached - I haven't taken the captain's test to take a double out without a coach, let alone a single...on a river, having sculled in a single fewer times that I can count on one hand (and we only have the one rec single which I might get out in on Sunday fingers crossed). And yeah, a novice single at HOCR...mayyyyybe a junior who has been rowing 5-6 days a week year round mostly in a single. Maybe. But I can't imagine a coach giving that bid to a novice unless they were brilliant or it was an excruciatingly small team.

I don't get any coached rows, unless I pay for them. And I don't have the wherewithal to pay for 5 a week, for sure.

One of the advantages (?) of tiny clubs is (often) a major lack of formality . . . sometimes even a scary lack of formality. We have a good-sized batch of new scullers every year who are pretty darned alarming in a single, but they're out there anyway, getting stuck in tree branches or weed mats, rowing obliviously out of traffic pattern, and all manner of distressing things. They're not even forced to do a flip test (encouraged, yes; required, no).

Our club is mostly singles, among the club-owned boats (a lot of rec models, a very few racing models since people who get serious often buy their own and rent rack space), something like 3 club doubles (maybe 4?), and 3-4 quads (not sure which are rowable, but we need them for the learn to row class).

At our place, you take the 6 week class (2 nights a week), row a few times at an open rowing session afterward, pay your dues, and you get a key to the boathouse to row anytime you want, at your own risk. (A year or two ago, I arrived to find 2 newbies sitting the rec singles on the dock before rowing!!)

As a single sculler, I believe one could enter the HOCR lottery on one's own, with a club affiliation perhaps, or even unaffiliated with a USRowing membership (for which one just pays money). The requirements to enter the HOCR lottery for entry slots are remarkably slight. Keep in mind that many people own their own singles. (I do, and have only been in it twice this season. ;) ). Used are not that expensive, necessarily.

Yeah I knew that individual people could enter the HOCR lottery, but I also know that there are only so many spots. I also suspect that most juniors in the US rowing singles (or rowing period) are probably rowing in clubs which is why I mentioned the coach giving (or not giving) the bid to a novice junior. Actually it looks like more or less all of the juniors categories are required to bid via an "institution" so a kid's parent wouldn't be able to do that for them. Also thank you for the reminder, I need to renew my USRowing membership this month :P

I do like my five coached rows a week, but it's also not like I'm paying for 5 private lessons a week. If I had that sort of money... I also don't think I would be able to mentally put up with 5 private lessons of anything a week.

We have three club singles, one of which is currently out of commission (there's a gash in one of the side walls - thankfully one of our members repairs all of our shells and a large chunk of the shells in the metro area) and one of which is a lightweight single that I'd never be light enough to row in (think lightweight women's single). We have a fair amount of doubles and quads, though given the popularity of our sculling program, we have to go out in two shifts on Sundays which is when all of the scullers practice on the same day (there's also sculling Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri but those are specific skill groups - development, club, and competitive). There are also a number of people in my club who own their own singles and a few people who own doubles. Some of them store there boats at our boathouse and there are a few other docks that people in my club row out of as well.

Taking a single out on the part of the river that we row in without a coach, without having done a flip test, and being a novice would be...a terrible idea. I'm sure people do it, there are enough docks to row from in this city, but oof. Bad plan.

In an ideal world, I'd like to have a sculling lesson once a month, in part because I need to get comfortable in a single and that's one way to do it. I'm also hoping to compete in the novice men's single race at regionals next year and thus... Thankfully I'll also get a chance to practice steering on the course as we have our sculling picnic on that lake every year ;)
  • aokoye
    In non-rowing news. I just finished a good 60 min ride on Zwift. The 4th Zwift Academy workout which was a lot of VO2 sprinty sort of work which I love. The last two intervals, which were 2 x 3' at 125% FTP were hard, doable, but hard. That said, cardio wise, I'm feeling fitter than I used to be and my legs felt strong.

It also looks like the power dropouts that I'm dealing with primarily caused by interference from, among other things, the TV remote which is new. Annoying, but fairly easy to mitigate.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    @ Aoyoke - the long-term plan would be take a year or two of lessons and join a club regularly, then buy a used single eventually. I'm a few years off that plan, though my son's recent move to San Diego has me thinking two rowing venues for the future - Phoenix (90 minutes away) and San Diego, where I'll likely have a place to stay.

The guy I know actually rowed three years before the HOTC (I checked with him). He also bought a used single and is on it all the time now.

Today's row was to do at least 8 X 500m / 1 minute rest as I felt comfortable with without falling off a cliff. Was a nice workout without too much fall off. All were below 2:00 and ended up at 1:58 or so. Was hoping to do 12 of them but would have likely really been pushing too hard. Didn't want to get up more than 90% max HR.
  • aokoye
    edited August 2019
    @ Aoyoke - the long-term plan would be take a year or two of lessons and join a club regularly, then buy a used single eventually. I'm a few years off that plan, though my son's recent move to San Diego has me thinking two rowing venues for the future - Phoenix (90 minutes away) and San Diego, where I'll likely have a place to stay.

The guy I know actually rowed three years before the HOTC (I checked with him). He also bought a used single and is on it all the time now.

Today's row was to do at least 8 X 500m / 1 minute rest as I felt comfortable with without falling off a cliff. Was a nice workout without too much fall off. All were below 2:00 and ended up at 1:58 or so. Was hoping to do 12 of them but would have likely really been pushing too hard. Didn't want to get up more than 90% max HR.

Sounds like a good plan. At the end of the day, you're going to be fit enough to join a club. Your fitness will not hold you back. Today I was in a mixed novice 8 and of the five 5 minute pieces we did, the ones that were good were not good because of the combined fitness of the 8 rowers. They were good because of how people were matching each other, blade depth, hand heights, there not being a ton of check in the boat, how much pressure people were putting into the pin, and so on. I also know a fair amount of people who have rowed at the HOTCR in singles and in 8s, hopefully I'll get to do that at some point. I know a teenager who I think competed last year in a coxed quad, either that or an 8 (I'd have to look it up).

My grad school search has also involved the question of, "is there a rowing club nearby?" Thankfully my first choice works as far as that's concerned, the Ottawa Rowing Club is apparently a 12 minute bike ride from the University of Ottawa (though there goes rowing outside in the winter). Also once you start rowing, you may be able to guest row at a club when you travel down to San Diego.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    Chalean extreme
    Elliptical
    Walking
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited August 2019
    Bouldering for 90 minutes. I did OK. I got a few new routes, including a former nemesis. I got every v1 and V2 I tried, but not many v3s.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    3mi TM. 15 min tempo run right into cooldown.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    8/12/2019 - rest day.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Get Moving Monday

20min easy paced run

30 min session with trainer, not sure what actually happened to get moving Monday. Straight in with a rather hellish hill sprint session with additional squats, push ups, lunges and planks

Bowling with my boys

30 min tabata

45 min barbell

School holidays are really cutting in to my training schedule so I'm getting what I can in when I can
  • aokoye
    Nearly 8k in a quad. Beautiful beautiful water. Well ok, the conditions were beautiful - very very flat for most of our row. The content of water was actually pretty gross.

Warm up followed by some steady state then one and a half 11 minute pieces with a pyramid rate. The first piece was interrupted by a crab from me (that I calmly but slowly recovered from - my big thing with crabbing is making sure I'm relatively calm) and the second was interrupted by a. needing to stop and turn around and b. someone water skiing at not even 7am and us extending our break after we had turned to wait for their wake.

I need to work on...wait for it...blade work. More specifically, I really need to work on feathering and squaring with my fingers.
  • susan5481
    susan5481 Posts: 64 Member
    🏋️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Spin class again. I feel like the excessive ** amount of long-ish steady state rowing this year has had an effect on my heart rate response that I ought to like, but I really don't. ;)

** Clearly, there is no "excessive" except with respect to one's own goals and fitness level, and this routine has been deliberate. I'm still babying my knees (partly out of fear, partly because they aren't improving as I'd hope, but they aren't getting perceptibly worse, either). I normally enjoy mixing more interval or race-piece work into the rowing just for variety, to increase the fun, but that comes at a cost of higher physical stresses.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Crazy Tuesday- my favourite day of the week.

No PT today, got an hour tomorrow to make up for it.

Around 3miles bike rides to get here and there.

45 min zumba class

Gym workout

15minute run on treadmill, 1.5miles so quite fast for me
    10 min on spin bike, doing standing hill climb intervals.
    Main workout was a pyramid workout with reps going down from 10-1 (except indoor sled push). Used an indoor tyre and indoor sled loaded with 40kg.
    Box jumps
    Press ups
    Sled push
    Split squats (both legs)
    Tricep dips.

Getting so much more confident at the box jumps now. May start to incorporate burpee box jumps in a couple weeks.

Cooled down on rower for 10 min then spent another 5 min stretching.

45min insanity class
    50min boxercise class, very cardio heavy, my hr spent a long time in the threshold zone, prob because I was partnering the instructor (who is also my PT)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited August 2019
    8/13/2019 - noon hour at park, 90F degrees and 29 percent humidity.

#1 - Double kettlebell overhead press (OHP) with a pair of 24kg KB x 3 plus two-hand KB swing with 24kg KB x 30 every 3:00 for 5 rounds completed in 13:22 - average HR = 140 bpm (78 percent) maximum HR = 160 bpm (89 percent) total 156 calories. Note: rep #3 of rounds #3 and #5 were push jerk not OHP after attempting OHP. 30-rep swing rounds appear more taxing than 2 rounds of 15 reps.

#2 - Run 5:45 walk 0:15 for 5 rounds and then run for 0:27. = 3.0 miles in 30:27 - average HR = 154 bpm (86 percent) maximum HR = 166 bpm (92 percent) total 408 calories. Planned on 60 minutes running but made a "business decision" to "treat" myself and call it quits at 30 minutes.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    30 minutes on the rower today (what a shock, right?) @ 18 SR, keeping HR in check under 150. Ended with only 15 on the bike to Cool Down. Had to take my pups to the vet today for their annual shots so cut it short.

Sometimes progress is slow to see when you're working every day. Looked back at my workout from mid July -- same workout. HR average today was 135 @ 2:23 pace/18 SPM (strokes per minute). Last month was 143 HR @ 2:23/19 SPM, so nice improvement on both power and HR dropping. Same pace, more power per stroke and lower HR all at the same time.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Kickboxing and Tabata with my daughter at the gym today. It kicked my butt. The Tabata piece was intense with a lot of burpees, mountain climbers, planks, push ups, squats, jumps, lunges, etc. My elbow feels OK, so it was a good idea to try it. Spin and Pilates tomorrow and using my new kayak this week! Finally!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    3mi easy run with run club. 108f :D
    Bit hot.