Intermittent fasting, I don’t get it

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    hlwick12 wrote: »
    IF helped me. I was working 12-16 hour days (including gym time). If I ate throughout the entire work day, I’d eat significantly more calories. So, for a while, I’d skip breakfast (except a protein shake after the gym), and have my first meal at noon, then one around 3/4, then the last one around 7/8. A common misconception is that you have a “feeding window” - as a result, some people eat more during their 8 hours than they normally would (bc they eat throughout the 8 hours). However, you really should leave 3-4 hours between “meals.” Mostly a way to control calories in. Depends on your work/life schedule, dietary needs etc though

Why exactly to the bolded part?

Some people don't understand that calories still apply if they overeat during their feeding window. Spacing out meals helps the poster with calorie control, they just didn't choose their words carefully.
  • forknitsandgiggles91
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism so I deal with being really low energy and weight loss stalls. IF helps me absorb my thyroid medication better (give it a goog if you want more info). Since I've started I've seen a huge decrease in my symptoms. Also, splitting calories between two meals makes it easier to keep up with my calorie deficit.
  • riahmaxwell
    riahmaxwell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It’s actually worked really well for me. I used to snack more often, so my body didn’t get much of a break. So now for example I stop eating by 8 and start after noon. I used to get nauseous from hunger but none my body’s adjusted to longer periods of not eating and I feel fine. It was just used to eating every couple hours. I find it helps me maintain weight, control my appetite, and eat less overall. No breakfast is fewer calories, yes, but actually less likely to snack between lunch and dinner. I love intermittent fasting. Also coffee is my friend when I am hungry but have another hour or two to go.
  • hlwick12
    hlwick12 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    hlwick12 wrote: »
    IF helped me. I was working 12-16 hour days (including gym time). If I ate throughout the entire work day, I’d eat significantly more calories. So, for a while, I’d skip breakfast (except a protein shake after the gym), and have my first meal at noon, then one around 3/4, then the last one around 7/8. A common misconception is that you have a “feeding window” - as a result, some people eat more during their 8 hours than they normally would (bc they eat throughout the 8 hours). However, you really should leave 3-4 hours between “meals.” Mostly a way to control calories in. Depends on your work/life schedule, dietary needs etc though

Why exactly to the bolded part?

Some people don't understand that calories still apply if they overeat during their feeding window. Spacing out meals helps the poster with calorie control, they just didn't choose their words carefully.

Now I see why the confusion... the “mostly a way to control calories in” was not related to my point regarding leaving time between meals. The last two sentences were referring to IF in general
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of disdain or at least gentle dismissal for IF in this thread,

Is there??

I saw more of people, including me, acknowledging it works well for some people , even if they dont do it themsleves.

In fact your post seems dismissive of other options eg It's the opposite of the "6 meals a day" approach in which you're constantly nibbling while dreaming of your next cheat meal

I probably could be described as eating 6 meals a day - although I see them as 3 meals and snacks, but could be called 6 different size meals (or more or less, my number per day varies)
    But that isnt constantly nibbling nor do I spend all my time thinking of my next (non existent) cheat meal :*

Sure, it works well for you.
    It wouldnt for me - and my way has worked well for me for over 5 years.

but I made no derogatory comments about that WOE - unlike yourself who made above comment about 6 meals per day WOE

It wasn't my purpose to dis anyone else's WOE; perhaps there was some literary license involved ;) Ultimately each individual has to find what works for him/her; we'd all be on the same diet if there was one Best Plan.