August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    3.16 miles tonight and ZERO HIP PAIN. Felt good. I’ve been using the new Saucony shoes for these last 5 training runs and I think they make a big difference. I haven’t worn the Brooks on a run yet since I haven’t quite worked out a shoe rotation strategy. Since I’m still fairly new to running I’m interested in hearing shoe strategies from all of you.

So this is going to get you very varied answers:

1) Some people own more than one pair of active running shoes.. say 3 or 4 - all different brands/styles. They buy them staggered so they wear out at different times, and they rotate them through each run. Then when one wears out, they replace it with a new pair putting it in rotation with the others. The argument in favor of this is that your foot gets used to just 1 exact pair it can develop muscle weaknesses. I do not think this is true, but I have no proof.

2) Some people have just targeted pairs (one for street, one for the trail, etc) (or just 1 pair) and replace them every X number of miles (whatever the manufacturer claims for that shoe) - regardless if they seem like they need it or not. The argument here is that new shoes are cheaper than weeks of therapy if you get hurt from running on bad shoes.

3) Some people have just targeted pairs (one for street, one for the trail, etc) (or just 1 pair) and replace them when they think they are worn out. The argument here is that shoe manufacturers have a vested interest in you replacing your shoes sooner than they are needed.

4) Some people are shoe hoarders(or collectors). This category is self-explanatory. :smiley:

Those are the main groups, and of course, there is mix/match/variations on those schemes. In the end, I always advise you to experiment and do what works best for you.

Which category do you fall into?

Umm the category of "Do as I say, not as I do" LOL

Which means he frequently wears shoes well psst their manufacturer stated life, and possibly the actual life of the shoe.

I used to be option 3, mostly because shoes are so dammed expensive I could never afford more than a pair at a time. I would replace them when I start getting knee and/or ankle pain. Currently I'm option 1 because some very generous people gave me money towards a pair just as I managed to buy a cheap pair off amazon (not sure I'll repeat that), so I'm mixing it up. The are technically the same shoe but the American pair feels firmer and I'm not as happy with them as I am the kiwi pair - but that may be just a psychological thing.

Interesting... the pair I was wearing when I got the hip pain were from Amazon. I also had 300-400 miles on them and they were designed for trail instead of the roads I run on. They got me by fine for 6 months but now they are for casual wear. That hip pain was annoying and sidelined me from my usual activity. The prompt to get 2 new pairs was when I got a generous gift card for being employee of the month while sidelined.

If you wear a shoe and have pain. Switch to a new shoe and have no more pain, the that is conclusive proof the shoe is worn out (or if it is new, it is the wrong shoe). Toss it and move on no matter how many/few miles it has.
    Well... I might have also been doing other stupid things like overtraining beyond what my training plan called for, skipping rest days, and running on uneven sidewalks further distances than I was physically ready for, but let’s not talk about that....

Definitely not! ;)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent Congrats to you and your wife on your races. That cake looked amazing and, I agree, there are no calories in birthday cake (or birthday ice cream). I loved your comment to someone who was just starting to run. "Don't compare your chapter one to someone else's epilogue." I think I may just use that a lot. Happy Anniversary!!! Thanks for sharing the article on MobyCarp. He will be missed by so many people.

Thanks! It is not original to me, not sure where it came from, but I have been using it for a while now.

Also, Happy Birthday!

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    Options
    Thanks @PastorVincent !

@rheddmobile You are a brave soul. Glad you have a partner to run with. It doesn't sound like it would be safe alone.

@autumnblade75 Sorry about the fight with your husband and change of plans for the weekend. I truly hope you can work things out and today is a better day.
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    So....Very.... Tired...(and hot). Just felt like it was a chore to lift my legs. Kept having to stop and tie my shoes. Guess that was the universe trying to get me to slow down. I guess it kinda worked. Finished the 12 miles at the minimum 9:35/mi long run pace that my training plan says I should be doing.
    I think maybe after I hit my goal, I will take the remainder of the month off and try to rest and get my mojo back.

exercise.png

Is the Peachtree City Classic your next race?

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

Is the Peachtree City Classic your next race?

Yep! It SHOULD be cooler by then, right?!
    Hope to see you there 😁
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    Options
    Facebook started suggesting triathlons to me already so I guess it's inevitable. :)
    Yep, if Facebook suggests it, you gotta do it. Right?

@autumnblade75 Glad you got things worked out and I hope you enjoy your upcoming weekends of entertainment!

@polskagirl01 Hope the pain doesn't move to some other part of your body. Smart to take it "easy."
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So I have some new neighbors, I am not really sure I want them around...

[spioler]
    dqc4tptq1q7z.png
    [/spoiler]
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    So I have some new neighbors, I am not really sure I want them around...

[spioler]
    dqc4tptq1q7z.png
    [/spoiler]

Eep pass
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I set out this morning to do about 8 miles and had to stop around 4.5 miles. I left too soon after I had eaten breakfast and it was warmer than anticipated which meant I felt sick before I'd even hit 2k and felt awful the entire time. I probably could have pushed myself to go a bit further BUT I had to go meet my mum so I could accompany her to a hospital appointment and didn't want to let her down. I guess there's always tomorrow?

Wondering if anyone could offer their opinion though - I'm trying to work out when is best to do my LONGEST run? My first half marathon is on 6th October which I'm not REALLY following a plan online for, just kind of making my own. Seems to be working so far but my only concern is I work the whole weekend of 14th/15th September meaning I work 12 (busy!) days in a row from 9th-20th September. Do I run my longest run before work goes to hell? Or the weekend after when I'll probably be exhausted? I'm currently undecided about the best course of action. I feel doing it before is too far out BUT doing it after will mean I'm doing it exhausted/too close to the HM which might hider me in the long run (excuse the pun!). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

01 Aug - 1.8 miles (treadmill)
    03 Aug - 6.2 miles (outside)
    11 Aug - 6.2 miles (outside)
    15 Aug - 1.8 miles (treadmill)
    16 Aug - 1.9 miles (treadmill - getting faster though which seems to be helping!)
    17 Aug - 4.5 miles (outside)

22.4 miles/50 miles
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Squish815 wrote: »
    I set out this morning to do about 8 miles and had to stop around 4.5 miles. I left too soon after I had eaten breakfast and it was warmer than anticipated which meant I felt sick before I'd even hit 2k and felt awful the entire time. I probably could have pushed myself to go a bit further BUT I had to go meet my mum so I could accompany her to a hospital appointment and didn't want to let her down. I guess there's always tomorrow?

Wondering if anyone could offer their opinion though - I'm trying to work out when is best to do my LONGEST run? My first half marathon is on 6th October which I'm not REALLY following a plan online for, just kind of making my own. Seems to be working so far but my only concern is I work the whole weekend of 14th/15th September meaning I work 12 (busy!) days in a row from 9th-20th September. Do I run my longest run before work goes to hell? Or the weekend after when I'll probably be exhausted? I'm currently undecided about the best course of action. I feel doing it before is too far out BUT doing it after will mean I'm doing it exhausted/too close to the HM which might hider me in the long run (excuse the pun!). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

01 Aug - 1.8 miles (treadmill)
    03 Aug - 6.2 miles (outside)
    11 Aug - 6.2 miles (outside)
    15 Aug - 1.8 miles (treadmill)
    16 Aug - 1.9 miles (treadmill - getting faster though which seems to be helping!)
    17 Aug - 4.5 miles (outside)

22.4 miles/50 miles

I believe the general rule for tapering is taper about as many days as there are miles in the race, so two weeks out from a HM should be plenty long enough for you to recover from a long run. That gives you a couple of days to catch up on sleep after your work, then run, then have a couple of cut back weeks, then race.