Carbs are bad. Yes or no?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Keto diet certainly isnt for me either.

So, I suppose I like carbs too.

But question seems a bit to me like BOOKS - Pages or writing? which are good? which do you like?

Obviously you need both - just like you need carbs, protien, fat.

It isnt a choose one scenario
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Carbs are great but in little doses. Gotta love rice, pasta and potatoes etc. The body needs carbs. Hate Keto diets

Why little doses? Also, what is a little dose?
  • ryanmichaelhorn
    ryanmichaelhorn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a bad macronutrient. You need them all, including carbohydrates, as the following papers have found:

"Reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize."

Sacks, F. M., Bray, G. A., Carey, V. J., Smith, S. R., Ryan, D. H., Anton, S. D., ... & Leboff, M. S. (2009). Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. New England Journal of Medicine, 360(9), 859-873.

"KLC and NLC diets were equally effective in reducing body weight and insulin resistance, but the KLC diet was associated with several adverse metabolic and emotional effects. The use of ketogenic diets for weight loss is not warranted."

Johnston, C. S., Tjonn, S. L., Swan, P. D., White, A., Hutchins, H., & Sears, B. (2006). Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 83(5), 1055-1061.
  • ryanmichaelhorn
    ryanmichaelhorn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a bad macronutrient. You need them all, including carbohydrates, as the following papers have found:

"Reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize."

Sacks, F. M., Bray, G. A., Carey, V. J., Smith, S. R., Ryan, D. H., Anton, S. D., ... & Leboff, M. S. (2009). Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. New England Journal of Medicine, 360(9), 859-873.

"KLC and NLC diets were equally effective in reducing body weight and insulin resistance, but the KLC diet was associated with several adverse metabolic and emotional effects. The use of ketogenic diets for weight loss is not warranted."

Johnston, C. S., Tjonn, S. L., Swan, P. D., White, A., Hutchins, H., & Sears, B. (2006). Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 83(5), 1055-1061.

This is where it gets slippery. Technically we don't need carbs to survive. Then that get's turned into we don't need them at all. Do you want to survive or thrive...?

Sugars, sure, but what about fiber derived from carbohydrates? Probably just a discussion about my original phrasing or our conversation centering completely around energy balance, but I would argue that cutting out 100% of carbohydrates would lead to insufficient nutrient intake resulting in a myriad of health problems.
  • J72FIT
    edited August 2019
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

This is where it gets slippery. Technically we don't need carbs to survive. Then that get's turned into we don't need them at all. Do you want to survive or thrive...?

Sugars, sure, but what about fiber derived from carbohydrates? Probably just a discussion about my original phrasing or our conversation centering completely around energy balance, but I would argue that cutting out 100% of carbohydrates would lead to insufficient nutrient intake resulting in a myriad of health problems.

I am not disagreeing with you. I am just saying this is what the "anit-carb" crowd like to say to defend their point of view. Yes it's technically true, but in the big picture IMO it is not a good idea long term. Of course it is important to point out that there will always be outliers that skew the thinking...
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Carbs in one form or another have been around for millions of years, feeding just about everything on earth. How could carbs be "bad" overnight?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Leave off the carbs then what happens in the case of type 2 diabetes? :)

???