WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Temp hit 112 here yesterday. I’m worried about our air conditioner and fridge in the RV. They are 20 years old. Still going strong now, but....

After long wait the 5 min doc visit DH appointment is next Tuesday for surgery. Glad it’s scheduled.

Today only supposed to get to 95 so heat relief. Feels like fall outside this morning at 75 degrees, windy and first cloudy day in a month!

RV Rita

Pa Still KETO strong!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I read a book about organizing that said that being organized was not about how neat your house is. Her definition of organized was that everything had a place and you knew where to find everything that you have. Our house has several areas that appear "cluttered" but it is specific clutter that gets used and put away in a logical manner. Jake does his work and TV watching from several different places and he has "stuff" in these areas. I do all my work at the dining room table where I have my computer. I watch TV from the exercise bike and have some "stuff" nearby that I need to be able to reach. Everything in our house has an exact place so things are easy to find and easy to put away.

:) One of my friends just came back from south Texas where she was visiting son and grandchild. She said she loved the hot weather--temps over 100 F--and wished she lived there.

<3 Barbie in NW WA where it will be a comfy 75 F today

I like this. I usually can find something I am looking for in our home. I don't mind if sometimes I have to look a bit harder because then I sometimes find other things I make a note of where they are so when I need them I can find them. My organization method is to put like with like and things I use the most often in a convenient place. I do like to at least once a year go through a room to thoroughly clean it and organize it. This summer the goal is if it belongs to one of our sons it needs to be in there space not ours. I don't feel everyone of my possessions needs to spark joy. Sometimes it is just something I need. I also have things that spark memories that are difficult. I keep these as a reminder of lessons learned and to not to repeat the mistake. For me contentment is born out improving myself and helping others not in the things that I own. Creating and appreciating beauty is also on the top of my list.

I would never impose my organization of someone else because I believe what works for one does not necessarily work for someone else.

I have subbed in classroom that are filled to the gills and ones that are bare boned. The teachers in both setting are excellent teachers. I respect what is their comfort level. In either case I know I have to learn the class quickly for my safety and the safety of the students. In the bare boned I almost tripped on a cord and in the cluttered a box. The key is awareness.

This said I know extreme hoarding can be a safety hazard and makes it difficult for the others in a hoarders life to find their voice and space. When it is that extreme help is needed for the whole family. Just like losing weight the hoarder needs to find the internal motivation to change. Confronting them and demanding change rarely works.

Margaret
  • b4leaving
    b4leaving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    I like shows like House (the last show that I watched/recorded every episode). My shows need a snarky, brilliant, good looking doctor with a drug/relationship problem.

Kelly - have you watched Nurse Jackie? It sounds right up your alley. :)

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Michele NC- for JR because we had to transition him extremely early we stuck the crib in the bedroom with us took it apart moved it to the baby room as a toddler bed later (crib still for your grand baby) I stuck an extra twin mattress in the room for when needed (couch to sleep on in Daughter 2 decades ago). I have a twin bed next to JRs full bed right now but only cause he can open doors y always wants to as he puts it
    “I GO OUTSIDE!” “Yeah yeah Outside me”. Lol 😂 he trying to escape luckily he thinks out loud. Gives me a heads up...it’s when he’s quiet I worry! Talks in his sleep so sometimes I get a pre-hint of what’s to come.

Best products so far for grand babies for larger weight y height or longevity of kid grows normal rate is
    1. Graco Toddler Booster Seat (60lb limit can go anywhere even restaurant!) Easiest to clean can be used on smaller babies too.
    2. Safety first swing arm lock for potty 🚽
    3. Summer Infant comfy clean deluxe newborn to toddler tub! Y their potties 🚽 look like a real porcelain but it’s plastic.JR outgrew but most do not.
    4. Delta children chair looks like arm chair they have one for up to 100-150lb ranges wood based.
    5. Playhut collapsable tents (easy storage when not using! ) I bought one with no ceiling.

Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    u9slyj8d6y7p.jpeg
    duxuq41eyufc.jpeg
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Gothchic - welcome to the best support group out there!

Diabetes Who on here is also suffering diabetes? Just curious how people are controlling their blood sugar...

Lanette Sorry you are sore today. My experience has been the third day is the roughest, then it gets better. I, too, have had several surgeries.

Getting older has been tough. Definitely not for the faint at heart! I am so grateful to still be here...especially after my brush with death in my 50s, but the physical pain and tough times can be really rough.

For the newbies, I am 62...until December. I was injured in a car wreck 11 years ago and have had several physical injuries to heal from, and was sedentary for 10 of those years...now diabetic. I've lost 33 pounds since January.

Ohio Ladies Please forgive me if you are Ohio State football fans...I was born and raised in Ann Arbor and went to the Univ. of Michigan, so Ohio State are dirty words during football season. <3 to you all in spite of my strong Maize and Blue roots!

Luci in WNC
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Janet So glad you are safe! That storm sounds horrible!

Heather The children are adorable on the beach! What a great shot!

Machka Beautiful room with the sofas! We have a sofa and loveseat...I had dreams of cuddling on the loveseat together in the evenings, but we always sit on opposite furniture. :'(

Vicki Sorry your fair has been rained on. We have the Apple Festival this 4 day weekend and I am hoping our weather holds up. Also, sorry to hear you have been having storms!

Luci in WNC
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @gothchiq hi. do you have issues all over your body or is the arthritis worse in some parts and less bad in others? what is your usual workout? I'm just having some left limb issues so I (just) started working on upper body, and arms after a week of not much movement.

@matcha 'im sorry about your arthritis. orthotics help? and pilates is supposed to help?
    my gym is supposed to start having pilates starting in September. I don't think they will be state-of-the-art classes but hopefully ok.

@barbiecat I rather like hot weather too. especially Texas is not muggy.i don't know about 100 but could go 90 in dry climate with shade for sure.

@JRsLateInLifeMom my cleaning lady has at least 1 friend, my previous cleaning lady (who's now a young new grandma). she says they see one and other every Friday. she said that here they ask the kids their preference when they are 12, so it could be that the daughter (and mom) stay here until 12 and then ask to go to Portugal. of course who knows what she will want in 3 years. But also the mom. She is young and could very well meet a nice guy here, and make a life, at least for a few years. You surely can't count on where kids are going to live after 18. They could go work in Singapore or canada... What an amazingly tall toddler.

@cityjaneLondon heather, I would love to be more OCD about cleaning. I can't stand the mess! (paper mess at present). I'm better when co-habitating though, cause don't like to leave a mess for the other. cute pics! you could show that to them some day in 10 years (or 10 days) when they are annoyed w one and other!

@lllooper congratulations on going down in august.

@drkatiebug congratulations on the lb down. 7h15 sleep seems good, right?

@katia49 you didn't like being away without your DH or didn't like taking the plane on your own? (or both or something else ?)

@exermom I had no idea Jane Fonda kept doing exercise videos. looking quickly at a clip it looks better than the ones from th 80s. I called one of the doctors and he sounded surprised that the meniscus was torn. ("so it really was torn!")He had first said, rather dismissively, probably not and "it's usually men who get torn meniscus and usually from high impact" (seems inaccurate- according to web info most meniscus tear-sufferers are over 50 and the cause is degenerative). applesauce sounds good. crackers and pretzels can be lots of calories. (I don't know any GF pretzels but I don't miss them). frozen apple sauce sounds good. I don't really have big digestion issues at present, thank goodness, it's the calories and weight and heavy feeling I'm concerned about. i think I might have had a bit of a Gyn issue too with chlorine. there's a low-chlorine pool a few km away but it's a bit of a hike and often full or very full of people. there are lots of city pools here and I used to go to the one 7 min walk away. I'm not good at taking a 40 mi round trip to to get exercise. thanks for the tip though, I just bought some lotion today as my legs are very dry looking.

@Vickil57 Im glad you can still make the concert;

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Carol - that is an adorable photo. You both look so well suited! <3

Great British Bake Off starts again tonight. I have boycotted it for a few years because the company who makes it switched from the BBC to Channel 4 for the highest bidder. I was incensed! Most of the original presenters left in protest. Now time has passed and I am prepared to forgive their greed and watch it again. How frail am I. :'(:/

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is World Rock Paper Scissors Day!

"The earliest form of Rock Paper Scissors was created in Japan and is called Janken. This is a variation of the Chinese games introduced in the 17th century. By the early 20th century, Rock Paper Scissors had spread beyond Asia, especially through increased Japanese contact with the West. Its English language name is taken from a translation of the names of the three Japanese hand-gestures for rock, paper and scissors; elsewhere in Asia the open-palm gesture represents 'cloth' rather than 'paper.' The shape of the scissors is also adopted from the Japanese style."

Meg - Thank you for the recommendation of The Peanut Butter Falcon. I've seen the trailer a couple of times and thought it looked like something I'd enjoy.

Michele - I can't say for sure how many calories the yogurt has. I just log it as "Yogurt - Plain, whole milk." (It's possible to make it with 2% milk but I use whole milk.)

Ginger - For some reason Netflix has forgotten that I've seen all the Midsomer Murders episodes. So now I'm enjoying watching them all again from season 1! Still not sure how there are any surviving villagers...

Bananas - Fly Lady's "clean sink" philosophy was an eye-opener for me! Who knew it would feel so good to have a clean, shiny sink? I am taking an iron supplement - was originally on iron sulfate but switched to a different form that is easier on the digestive system. I only just recently noticed that I'm supposed to take it on an empty stomach though.

Kate - Maybe your friend thinks all indoor-only cats are prisoners. I've known a lot of people who felt that way and they're entitled to their opinions. For us, we keep our cats indoors-only because it's far safer, and we just try to provide a lot of enrichment for them. Neither of our boys is particularly interested in going outside for very long but some cats aren't happy as indoor-only kitties.

Heather - Love the photo of the girls in the water. So cute!

Welcome to the newcomers! Looking forward to getting to know you a bit.

I'm doing OK so far with the reduced coffee intake. We make half-caff because nobody really needs that much caffeine, and the acid hasn't caused any problems for me. As far as iron absorption, it doesn't appear that caffeine is the culprit but rather other compounds in coffee. (They are also present in chocolate but I'm not giving that up!) So for what I'm doing now the only answer is to drink less overall, regardless of caffeine content. Mostly it's a behavioral habit to reach for a cup of coffee, so other than a cup or two in the morning that's the habit I'm trying to break. Think I'll give it a couple of weeks before trying again at the blood bank to see if it makes a difference.

Overcast today, which is giving us a little break from the sweltering heat. Right now my phone says it's 91 degrees but we're still under a heat advisory. Autumn can come any time as far as I'm concerned!

-Yvonne in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Vicki – yes, Jane Fonda is still making videos. Only now I think she is gearing them more for elderly people. You know what I do for the lotion? I take the small tubes from hotels. They are a good size for my gym bag. I still have some from when we went to see Jess in St. Kitts.

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    I am cutting down on coffee. I notice in doing so I have few leg cramps at night.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Lanette: Sending healing waves your direction. Take it easy.

Carol: Love the photo of you and DH. Happy anniversary and many more.

Katla: Yay for getting your trip booked. I'm excited for you. How long will you be away?

Janetr: I hope there is a non-invasive solution to your knee pain. Prayers going up for your DGD's friend. Thanks for sharing about the storm. I hadn't heard, and should check in with my OKC peeps.

It is a spectacular day today, but will get back into the 90's rest of the week. I feel somewhat caught up with housework, laundry and meal prep, so might grab a nap while DH does his floor exercises. Enjoyed all the comments on decluttering and organizing. I keep what I hope looks like a gracious, organized home. I do a light cleaning of at least one room per day, just to keep disorder and dirt in check. However, there are paper files and closets that could stand a good purging. I have many, many photos still needing to be reviewed and scanned. One day....

Love to you all. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited August 2019
    Options
    gkokfru5ipxp.jpg
    h311qzmi7iy2.jpeg
    lud86om2auah.jpeg
    lyli20aght18.jpeg
    m5my5wjdr2yn.jpeg
    b93we1iuh5v5.jpeg
    lzupd7vvx0l6.jpeg
    urzjpycu11u0.jpeg

Yes JRs tall that’s why I had to have 4 hip to hip y 1 up y down incision to get him out he was curled up at birth (Born early if he was born an hour earlier he would have been in the baby NICU for preemies ...they almost did anyways but his size made them reconsider lol )We our Tv to everything up high but he can still reach! A lot of NO’s all day long . Here’s a size reference picture our bar stool for the table versus regular patio deck chair at a desk. Then using barstool to show how everything was retro fitted for JRs height. Even our door knobs are taller but he still reaches lol. I’m 5”4 JRs over 4ft Sisters 5”2. Luckily hubby is tall bigger than most men lol so he does the reaching if I need it. Also why I keep hurting my back he’s big.

Diabetes- Because of gestational diabetes on top of high blood pressure during I’m on a sugar free y reduced sugar diet,low to no salt items,y low calories,y cholesterol watching too. We try not to buy in-gout friendly items.
    SugarFree g Hughes bbq sauce,
    Sugarfree Walden Chipotle dressing
    Sugarfree ice cream to fudge pops
    Sugarfree y reduced juices
    Sugarfree Jello brand Jello (off brand ick)
    Sugarfree puddings
    Sugarfree Gatorade Zero tastes like regular one
    Etc etc etc also reading labels 🏷 on everything we buy even sugar can be added to chicken! Dad diabetics type 2 y MIL so got to be ready for their visits.

Amber Tx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: Lovely room! :star: My DDIL is a certified pilates instructor with all the equipment. She had pain issues and joined a class. The pilates healed her. She loved it so much she became a certified pilates instructor.

Lanette: Thank you for asking about the visit to the grandchildren. The flight reservations are made! Unfortunately, I won’t be going until October. DH is continuing with PT. I couldn’t arrange for anything before now due to DH’s health issues, and October was the best timing for my daughter. DH is doing much better, in my opinion, and I’m not worried about leaving him at home for a week. :bigsmile:

Barbie: I can’t imagine loving 100 degrees heat, Fahrenheit. Everyone has unique preferences. I like our weather just fine. Summers are usually glorious and falls are often great. Winter and spring can be less pleasant, unless a person loves soggy weather. :ohwell:

Heather: I love the photo of your grandgirls. :heart:

Lesley in NC: Congratulations on your diet success! Stop by here often for encouragement and support. :star:

NYKaren: Thinking about the elliptical and sore ankles. Are you wearing good shoes that give arch and ankle support? Can the elliptical be adjusted for your comfort? :flowerforyou:

(((Rita))): I’ve lived through summer temps of over a hundred. They’re pretty rare here in Oregon and even more rare by the river. They don’t last for weeks on end, but 112F is totally beyond anything I have experienced. If all else fails, get a fan onto your table and blow it over a tray of ice cubes so is soothes your face and upper body. :heart:

Vicki GINE: So glad that your DH took the day off to drive you to your meeting. I hope things are comfortable for you both. :smiley:

Rori: I’ll be travelling to see DD & the grandkids from 10/9 to 10/15. I’ll be returning to PDX during evening rush hour. DH will drop me off when I leave and pick me up when I get back. I really wanted him to come along, and he really didn’t want to travel. He hates air travel. That is why I originally wanted to go via RV. A long RV trip won’t happen this year but we may get some nice fall weather at the coast and get away for a short trip. :heart:

One of our favorite neighbors has a birthday coming up tomorrow. We’ve got a great card for him and I hope it will put a smile on his face. I’ve been thinking about a Starbucks card to go with it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,973 Member
    Options

Great British Bake Off starts again tonight. I have boycotted it for a few years because the company who makes it switched from the BBC to Channel 4 for the highest bidder. I was incensed! Most of the original presenters left in protest. Now time has passed and I am prepared to forgive their greed and watch it again. How frail am I. :'(:/

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

:) I found the Great British Bake Off on Netflix and have watched all the seasons. When the presenters changed, I looked online and found out why. I, too, was troubled about the ones who followed the money, but, thinking about myself, I chose to keep watching because I enjoyed the show and hated to miss any of it. How exciting to find out that there is a new season.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Been buying men’s T-shirt’s so if I get bigger or smaller can pass it on to JR like I did for Daughter. JR almost has my leg size I got short legs lol.
    zdi1k5tm62sl.jpeg
    t3vdirap7ea5.jpeg

Amber Tx

Relaxing now finished 2 hours of walking in the house.