WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Machka... well done on the video! I loved seeing both you and your husband.

Need some help gardeners. My niece, who recently bought this home, sent me a photo of these red flowers. She doesn't know what they are and says they're taking over in the area they're planted. Thick stalks. She lives in central Ohio.
    r2awvzks8ijp.jpeg

Beth
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Katla--I pray the PT does help DH and that they are right and he does not need surgery. I do hope you can work it out to visit the DGC soon.

Machka--Sounds like the wind we had last week. Still lots of trees down and city is running out of places for people to drop them off. It rained most the night and still off and on this morning.

Kelly--WOW!! I am so impressed with your space week.

Today is a better day. Weigh in this morning was up, but expected that. It's a new day and things are better.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    Lanette - Sending good wishes for next Monday. At least they are getting on with it quickly. <3 I have every confidence that it will all go smoothly.

Katla - I think it's good news that your DH isn't going to have to go through surgery again. I hope he can find a PT that gives him some relief. You should definitely take yourself off to visit the grandkids for a bit, having made arrangements for someone to keep an eye out for your DH. I have close friends with children in Korea, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand. They visit once or twice a year. I know you will be worried about him, but it can be done. As for your own fears - feel the fear and do it anyway. :D<3

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,143 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Machka – what a great video – I loved hearing you and seeing your husband.

Beth – Lanette said Hollyhocks, which might be, but my first guess was mallow, as hollyhock has multiple blooms on each stem where mallow has one on the end of each stem.

Kim from N. California
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Now I know why it's a good thing we don't eat out much. Went to Chili's and had a hamburger and fries...1,240 calories. Ugh :s Yes, I could have gotten salad but I didn't. Stress eating. Will do better tomorrow.

Carol in GA
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    carol last night we had a goodbye meal at a diner and I had an old standard—cheeseburger and onion rings :s regret it in so many ways!! :( But Today is a new day and simpler eating is starting to make me feel better.

NYKAREN
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Karen y Carol- I cut eat half the portions at a chili’s when I go y many restaurants take it home to eat later.I eat first what won’t reheat well like onion rings! Rolls! But the burger heats well from there for another meal! It’s portion control in that situation because they don’t have many low cal options at some restaurants. Think I got my records from Daughter visit. Might go over some or not at all if you cut it in half.

Amber Tx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Here’s 2 of my log from Daughter visit the one day was Starbucks y Outback Steak house! So after half my meal at Outback y a small frappe y cookie at Starbucks I ate some fish low cal Dinner!
    Another Day was takeout at home Chick-fil-A meal y Pizza 🍕 1slice only!
    kir36efmuqws.jpeg
    1gd0ult2izbh.jpeg
    I managed to maintain my weight during her visit if I put a pound or two on it cane off fast! It’s a learning curve.

Amber Tx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Beth it could be a perennial hibiscus too or a holly hock. Depends of the leaves. If she keeps it trimmed it could look very nice there. I would not trim the evergreen bushes now. Here in Minnesota we need to have that done by July 4 otherwise you risk winter burn. They will start to make new stacks if cut now and will not harden off enough for winter.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Margaret - is a perennial hibiscus the same as a Mallow?

silly me - Goggle to the rescue... Mallow and Hibiscus are in the same family!
    The common mallow is part of the large family of Malvaceae plants that include cotton, okra and hibiscus. It is an edible plant that has been used for medicinal care as well as food. The fruits are round and have cheese-like wedges which give the common mallow its nickname, cheese plant. Mallow stems are flexible and come from a central point, often lounging on the ground. This wild edible is used as herbal medicine in a variety of ways. It is an anti-inflammatory, diuretic, demulcent, emollient, laxative and an expectorant.

Distinguishing Features: Common mallow is a winter or summer annual or biennial, freely branching at the base, with a prostrate growth habit. It is a low growing weed, with a deep fleshy tap root. The seeds germinate through the summer and broken stems can also root. This plant has stems that originate from a deep tap root and are low spreading with branches that reach from a few centimetres to almost 60 centimetres long.

Flowers: The flowers are borne either singly or in clusters in the leaf axils blooming from June to late autumn. They have 5 petals and are white, pinkish or lilac flowers that measure on average, 1 to 1.5 cm across.

Leaves: Common mallow leaves are alternate, on long petioles, circular to kidney-shaped, toothed and shallowly 5-9 lobed, 2-6 cm wide. Short hairs present on upper and lower leaf surfaces, margins and petioles.

Height: This plant can grow anywhere from 10 to 60 cm in length.

Habitat: The common mallow likes to grow in lawns, gardens, roadsides, waste areas and cropland. It originated in Europe, Asia, and Northern Africa and is also in the Americas and Australia.

Edible parts: All parts of this plant are edible. The leaves can be added to a salad, the fruit can be a substitute for capers and the flowers can be tossed into a salad. When cooked, the leaves create a mucus very similar to okra and can be used as a thickener to soups and stews. The flavour of the leaves is mild. Dried leaves can be used for tea. Mallow roots release a thick mucus when boiled in water. The thick liquid that is created can be beaten to make a meringue-like substitute for egg whites. Common mallow leaves are rich in vitamins A and C as well as calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and selenium.

Other name: Cheeseweed.

Similar plants: Marshmallow.
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Machka-looks like perennial hibiscus.
    Debby In Va
    P S.i believe hibiscus and mallow are the same
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    440576q8wrax7se2.gif
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,143 Member
    Options
    Beth: I thought mallow or hibiscus too
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Machka… So glad you participated in the video. Loved hearing your voice and your excellent advice.
    KJ… wow you guys eat a lot of eggs!!! Very clever idea. Your kids will be so ready for school. Any news on Trenton?
    Katla… I am also relieved your DH doesn’t have to go through surgery. Has he thought of walking in a pool. Most YMCA’s have pools where he could walk year round.
    Suebdew in TX. Still hot.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,556 Member
    Options
    08xcz1fu47id.jpeg
    voljz9baw0h5.jpeg
    jlv5paigwfiq.jpeg
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Beth Whoever said hardy hibiscus has my vote. So pretty!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,556 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

day 23 (mon-fri)
    no gym workout

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.31min, 12.5amph, 129mhr, 1.56mi= 78c
    apple watch- 56c
    bike ride gym 2 sumn station- 53.20min, 13.4amph, 144mhr, 11.88mi= 503c
    apple watch- didn't record
    jog station 2 wrk- 5min, 142mhr, 10.04min mi, .49mi= 65c
    apple watch- 58c