August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JMNagain
    JMNagain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Finally made it out of bed early and did 6.7km before school today. Yay! Warm but not too hot yet.

Whoever sets up the challenge, I promise I'll answer the monthly question this time!

exercise.png

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    5 miles today. I remembered that I can program my treadmill, so I set it up for what should have worked out to 9 miles, but then I didn't feel like running for that long, so I didn't. Maybe tomorrow.

The car flashed it's light at me when I started it today, instead of just as I arrived at my destination. Still haven't addressed the spare. My husband said that one of his friends had the sensors removed from his tires. "But," I said "that would mean the light stays on all the time." "Yes," he said. "But, if I didn't have a problem ignoring the light, I could just leave the faulty sensors in the tires!" Do you guys think I should use electrical tape or school glue and maybe a small sequin or button to cover the stupid light on the dash? Hot melt glue? I don't want to leave any sticky residue or damage the dashboard plastic. I tend to drive my cars until they're ready for the junkyard (not so much a next driver) but I'm trying to be hopeful about replacing it before it crumbles to rust in the driveway.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    5 miles today. I remembered that I can program my treadmill, so I set it up for what should have worked out to 9 miles, but then I didn't feel like running for that long, so I didn't. Maybe tomorrow.

The car flashed it's light at me when I started it today, instead of just as I arrived at my destination. Still haven't addressed the spare. My husband said that one of his friends had the sensors removed from his tires. "But," I said "that would mean the light stays on all the time." "Yes," he said. "But, if I didn't have a problem ignoring the light, I could just leave the faulty sensors in the tires!" Do you guys think I should use electrical tape or school glue and maybe a small sequin or button to cover the stupid light on the dash? Hot melt glue? I don't want to leave any sticky residue or damage the dashboard plastic. I tend to drive my cars until they're ready for the junkyard (not so much a next driver) but I'm trying to be hopeful about replacing it before it crumbles to rust in the driveway.

exercise.png

You could pull out the dash and remove the light bulb. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @rheddmobile - I had to look up leucistic blue jay. Very cool and very rare! I hope you can get a picture! I have been very intrigued by our local finches who seem to be very attracted lately to the block wall outside my office. There must be bugs or something there. Also we have a family of hummingbirds that are fearless and seem to watch all the goings on in the backyard. They come right up on branches, just a foot or so away, land and chatter at me.

Me too! Cool, will have to watch for them... though I have not even seen a regular blue jay here yet.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 - most craft type stores and even maybe Target and Walmart have lots of fun decorative tapes used for planners and such that you could pick from to cover it and change out as your mood shifted...

@katharmonic, @rheddmobile and others who go out to eat, shop and/or run errands after you run... How do you manage being all gross and sweaty after you run and then doing these things? Or maybe it is just me who is all drippy, sweaty and gross and would never go anywhere except a shower like that. I even take a jacket/cover of some type for after I do strength training at the gym, if I need to go somewhere. I have thought about going to Starbucks on some long runs for an iced something that I could order and pay for with my phone but I haven't even been able to do that...

Oh and a replacement watch is coming... soon I hope...soon...
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

@katharmonic, @rheddmobile and others who go out to eat, shop and/or run errands after you run... How do you manage being all gross and sweaty after you run and then doing these things? Or maybe it is just me who is all drippy, sweaty and gross and would never go anywhere except a shower like that. I even take a jacket/cover of some type for after I do strength training at the gym, if I need to go somewhere. I have thought about going to Starbucks on some long runs for an iced something that I could order and pay for with my phone but I haven't even been able to do that...

This is something I have always asked myself as well when I read or see photos of people doing stuff after a run! No matter what deodorant I use, I STINK after anything longer or harder than a couple of very easy miles.
  • autumnblade75
    Options

exercise.png

You could pull out the dash and remove the light bulb. :)

I know I won't go back and put it in before I sell, though. I know I suggested it, myself - but it really seems like too much work.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    @autumnblade75 - most craft type stores and even maybe Target and Walmart have lots of fun decorative tapes used for planners and such that you could pick from to cover it and change out as your mood shifted...

I actually spent some time shopping for small stickers last time this happened, before it reset itself. I had a mental image of a pink donut with a smiley face on it... But I really am concerned about residue. Something in the "post-it note" category ought to fit the bill pretty well for low-residue.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

This is something I have always asked myself as well when I read or see photos of people doing stuff after a run! No matter what deodorant I use, I STINK after anything longer or harder than a couple of very easy miles.

I definitely could not! That is for sure! After even a couple miles I am trailing rivers of sweat behind me! :D
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    There is a coffee shop walking distance from our weekly Parkrun. About 30 of us go over there every Saturday morning to visit while the organizers post results. A few runners change shirts in the restroom but most don’t. Several of us choose to sit outdoors in the patio. We see many runners in there that were not part of the event too.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bit behind with the posts, will try and catch up over the weekend!

01 Aug - 1.8 miles (treadmill)
    03 Aug - 6.2 miles (outside)
    11 Aug - 6.2 miles (outside)
    15 Aug - 1.8 miles (treadmill)
    16 Aug - 1.9 miles (treadmill - getting faster though which seems to be helping!)
    17 Aug - 4.5 miles (outside)
    19 Aug - 1.75 miles (treadmill)
    22 Aug - 1.8 miles (treadmill incline fun)
    23 Aug - 7.5 miles (outside but it's warm again so it was a bit of a slog!)
    26 Aug - 3.1 miles (outside)
    29 Aug - 2 miles (treadmill)
    30 Aug - 2 miles (treadmill)

40.55 miles/50 miles
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Oh, I'm for sure gross and sweaty. I wouldn't go to a restaurant* or shopping for clothes or anything, but I will run in to the grocery store or to get coffee. I will sometimes throw on a sweatshirt or long sleeve if I can. I usually have a towel in my car too. But really, I figure I'm not the worst thing people have seen (or smelled) and they can tell from how I'm dressed that I was just working out/running - and stay clear :). Who cares, really. There are a couple of coffee places I frequent after running, as do a lot of other runners, and they often ask how far I ran, or how it was today. Go get that Starbucks if you want it! I promise no one cares.

*Actually, I have done this a couple of times with a group of runners. I managed to change at least my shirt if not my whole outfit and use wipes to clean up a bit.

I have done the "duck into the bathroom and change clothes" thing to go eat with other runners. But I did wait a while to cool down so I was not pouring saltwater out of my pores all over the place first :)