Serial Starters

Replies

• arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Evening all, I’m back home from my trip to wildest Shropshire and wondering whether or not to be glad I sound like a Brit 😂 had a lovely couple of days and will try to add a picture of my new baby at the bottom, just to bore you all!

So glad this thread is so active. That veggie box of Sara’s sounds fab, I’d love that!

This weekend is going to be a tough one for me, my parents are visiting from Kent and staying until Sunday evening. I haven’t told them I’m dieting, my mum is the diet queen and will instantly try to sell me on weight watchers or similar, which I hate! But I don’t want to make it obvious that I’m doing anything, which is going to be tough. How to look like I’m eating as I normally would but not?

Something to think on! So anyway if I’ve managed to work out how to do it, there will be a picture of my new baby below, he’s 13 months old and is an Irish Draught horse. For those who know horses he’ll eventually be white and about 16.3hh.

fzhnj9x3mic3.jpeg

Beautiful horse! Hope you have a good visit with family..
  • arniedog74
    edited August 2019
    Sorry I haven't really posted, lately. The past few weeks have been different, to say the least. DH had been helping a friend with yardwork and such for a few months. The friend had stage 4 Pancreatic cancer... sadly, he lost his battle on the 18th. DH is now trying to help his widow, as she is needing to move into apartment above her shop. It needs so much work and I worry DH is going to overdo it. But, I'm not going to tell him not to help. His friend would do the same. Sadly, this was DH second friend to pass in 3 weeks. The other was killed in a UTV crash.

On top of this, I am beyond frustrated at work and just ready to say hell with it and look for another job. But, I know, there will be same issues no matter where I go... so, I stick.... plus, i've got so attached to so many animals...

Sorry for long post all about me..
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,325 Member
    Dawn, I have been writing essays for weeks - that is not a long post. If you can find enough good to stay where you are let the rest roll off you as best you can. Aroma therapy is helping me and I know Scentsy has certain aromas that might help - I appreciate you posting. What can you do right now today/tomorrow to help things? Can you find a way to sleep better? Can you help with move? Can you document on work situation so that you dont "rewind it over and over in your head"?

Dont have an answer just many suggestions - it almost sounds like nagging. I hope not.

Wishing all a good night.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    fatoldladyonamission Posts: 572 Member
    arniedog74 wrote: »
    Sorry I haven't really posted, lately. The past few weeks have been different, to say the least. DH had been helping a friend with yardwork and such for a few months. The friend had stage 4 Pancreatic cancer... sadly, he lost his battle on the 18th. DH is now trying to help his widow, as she is needing to move into apartment above her shop. It needs so much work and I worry DH is going to overdo it. But, I'm not going to tell him not to help. His friend would do the same. Sadly, this was DH second friend to pass in 3 weeks. The other was killed in a UTV crash.

On top of this, I am beyond frustrated at work and just ready to say hell with it and look for another job. But, I know, there will be same issues no matter where I go... so, I stick.... plus, i've got so attached to so many animals...

Sorry for long post all about me..

So sorry for your loss, and totally get why you want to let your hubby help. Mine would be exactly the same.

I had similar to you with my work recently, it's quite high pressure anyway but I'd had a few clients who decided to take their stresses out on me (I work with people with mental health issues) and it got too much. Eventually I told my boss how pressured I was feeling and we agreed I'd take some time off so I've just had a lovely 2 week break. Maybe that could work for you too? I feel like I'm going back with a better handle on things so hopefully it'll a stay in perspective now, maybe a break might help you?

Either way, I really hope things improve for you soon.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    SATURDAY

Good morning,

FOL - does your horse have a name?? Do you get to name him?

Will roast my vegetables because as much as I like eating raw vegetables, my stomach is not as fond of it.

Normal errands this morning, so soccer and knitting later.

Wave to all who follow.
  • skinnytacular
    skinnytacular Posts: 159 Member
    Good morning all!

Sara—I too prefer my veggies roasted or (this time of year) grilled. It just adds something.

Ama—welcome! I know what you mean about adding 10 lbs every time you restart. I have lost about 8 lbs with my recent effort, which means I’ve just finally worked my weight down to the high point the last time I lost weight. I need to figure out how to keep it off once and for all.

WSwalkin—welcome! Congrats on getting those workouts in. I really struggle with that. But, if you can just keep chipping away at it, make incremental progress, you’ll eventually get there!

Dawn—I’m very sorry for your losses. You’ve really been through the ringer, it sounds like. During this difficult time just try to focus on self-care, if you can, and be gentle with yourself. Take walks, listen to music you like, spend time in your garden (if that’s what you like to do), take baths.

FOL--I'm so glad you were able to recognize that you needed a break and then made sure you got one! Smart!

As for me, not too much in the way of plans for the 3 day weekend. State Fair sometime, probably tomorrow. Play date with my kiddo and a neighbor later today. Laundry etc. to get our household ready for the start of school next week.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    fatoldladyonamission Posts: 572 Member
    @Tilliesmommy1 hey! I'd definitely have roast veggies over raw any day and in fact an having them tonight, kinda mixing up fajita seasoning with roasted veggies, a little halloumi and having cauliflower rice with it instead of tortillas. Quite looking forward to it.

Horse has a posh name from his breeder, which is Indigo Easy Like Sunday Morning, because he was born on a Sunday morning and all of his mum's babies are named after songs. I get to give him a stable name for daily use but can't decide at the moment. Daughter wants to call him Binky after Terry Pratchett's horse that Death rides because he's going to be big and white but I'm not sure! Decisions are the worst! But a nice decision to mull over! 😂

Hope everyone has a lovely Saturday.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,835 Member
    Twiley510 wrote: »
    What happened to the "whoo" option?? :s

They posted several weeks ago that it would be going away by the 1st of September due to the misunderstanding over its meaning. Or more precisely the dual meaning it had taken on. Since "woo" was used as a derogatory reaction, often without clarification and civil debate, MFP decided to eliminate the possibility of dissension.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10759847/woo-be-gone#latest

Eventually, there will be a dislike button if they feel like adding it.

Thank you for knowing that Tracy. I had zero idea that it was anything other that short for a really exuberant and positive woohoo, yay, etc.

Lana

• LanaCabana537
    edited August 2019
    Lady on a Mission~~
    First of all, please be glad that you sound like a Brit !!!! I am glad that you are with us~~
    Your horse is a beauty. I don't know that breed, so it is fascinating to me that he will turn white. Does that mean completely white, so that he will lose the white blaze on his face?
    Also good luck with the family visit.

Dawn - I am glad that you posted and posted all about you. That's what we are here for. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. What a tough illness that is. And to lose two friends in such a short time is overwhelming. Your DH is benefiting from the help he is giving just as much as is the widow of friend.
    As for work, it may be appearing to be worse than it is because you are already burdened with the losses of these people in your life, so it's hard for you to be buoyant for work. Take care of yourself. You will make it.
    Big hugs~~

Lana
  • LanaCabana537

Hi Missy~~

I am totally able to trip on a flat surface or twist my ankle for no reason. I can also bite my tongue (ouch) when I'm not chewing--there is no food in my mouth. Gah!

Lana
  • arniedog74
    Dawn, I have been writing essays for weeks - that is not a long post. If you can find enough good to stay where you are let the rest roll off you as best you can. Aroma therapy is helping me and I know Scentsy has certain aromas that might help - I appreciate you posting. What can you do right now today/tomorrow to help things? Can you find a way to sleep better? Can you help with move? Can you document on work situation so that you dont "rewind it over and over in your head"?

Dont have an answer just many suggestions - it almost sounds like nagging. I hope not.

Wishing all a good night.

Doesn't sound like nagging to me at all...I appreciate you! I have been taking vitamins at night and that seems to help me sleep. I'm just so exhausted because I am back to not having a day off. Yes, that is definitely a HUGE part of my problem. I'm just so overwhelmed and feel like I am doing everyone's job, all the time. I have spoken with my Mgr. But, I know, nothing is going to change. Honestly, the only thing that keeps me there, is animals and pay. Going to another clinic, means starting over... I just feel stuck... again.. Thank you for your thoughts
  • arniedog74
    edited September 2019
    FOL- Thank you..I only hope, a friend would/ will step up, when that time comes. I'm proud of my hubby.

Taking time off from work is honestly NOT an option. I have plenty of vacation time... but, we are always short staffed, that I can't get away. I am working my days off... every single other person gets a day off but me...(I do get some Sundays and 1 weekend off a month ) I don't have a regular day off, like everyone else... I'm just exhausted...

Hope things are much better for you when you return to work..I kinda think i'm over adulting...lol
  • arniedog74
    edited September 2019
    Skinny- Thank you..I have been walking most days on my lunch... until we started getting crazy storms.. trying really hard to just relax at home..too much probably...I am struggling with food choices... trying not to eat too much, just not great choices...I did finally get a haircut and feel better, it was driving me crazy :D

Hope you enjoy(ed) the fair! LOVE fair food!
  • arniedog74
    Lana- Thank you..I appreciate you...DH is happy to help... I'm hoping to be able to help at some point... i'm just working so much, I don't know how often I will be able to.

I'm not sure what will make work better. Apart from more people quitting and hiring people that actually want to work... starting to think those people no longer exist... blah

I, too, can trip over nothing. Broke my ankle just walking, once... :D
  • arniedog74
    Kathryn- how are you?! Please keep us posted! HUGS
  • Tilliesmommy1
    SUNDAY

Good morning,

Moved pieces of furniture to get to cabinet which will be easy to clean out..... so much dust I could not sleep there until I vacuumed. Dont like to late at night and it didnt last long.....

Groceries then home. Michaels trip to get photo box and new binder for new job. Will have windows open today to air out.

I considered taking down curtains and tossing in dryer - they are replacing windows soon - not sure about that today.

Roasting vegetables. Plan is to do little tomorrow, except take walks.

Wave to all who follow.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Dawn, in every job there are people who dilly dally - and they hire their friends. If you have the PTO why cant you take it? How about a half day?
  • Hi All, happy Sunday!

We've been out to a riding competition this morning with daughter and her horse so it's only 2pm in the afternoon here but I've already done 7k of steps, so my exercise calories have gone mad! Wouldn't dare eat them all though! Still it's a good start and I'll be on the treadmill again later once the parents have gone home.

@arniedog74 I'm sorry to hear you can't take any time off. Is it possible to try some relaxation techniques and see if they help? I've tried a few different versions and they've helped me.

@Tilliesmommy1 sounds like you're doing really well, getting all of that done! I'm impressed! I'm literally about to collapse on the sofa for a nap! 😂
  • LanaCabana537
    edited September 2019
    Good morning Sara~~

Good morning Dawn -
    I do understand your frustration with not having a regular day off. Many stagehands work a show at night plus a Monday through Friday day job, and all their lives do not have a day off.
    Back to you....
    Imagine for a moment you were The Fairy Godmother Office Manager: What day would you assign as Dawn's regular day off?
    Figure out the most sensible or least-bad day off for balance of staff. If it doesn't divide evenly, then make it Wednesday in the middle....
    OR EVEN BETTER, make it whatever day fits best for spending time with DH!!......and........drumroll.......
    ....start TAKING that day off. Just do it.
    The point being that as long as it is you stepping up to put your finger in the dike, there is no problem for anyone else there! Why would anyone care? - they know you'll cover the job.

However, If you pull back and declare a day off, they will have to find a part-timer to fill the gap.
    Fib if you need to: claim medical tests, meteor showers, caring for your aging Aunt Lana, and that's your day to do it. Whatever it takes! Make it be something odd if need be - just get that one same day of the week off; it will eventually become your regular day off.

Be brave for yourself and your mental health.

Big hugs,
    Lana
  • LanaCabana537

Waving to Lady on a Horse and everyone else who stops by later on~~

Lana

253.8 today
    254.6 highest
    179.0 goal