Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How often to weigh in maintenance

2»

Replies

• pjwrtpjwrt Posts: 86Member, Premium Member Posts: 86Member, Premium Member
    Daily on wake up. The weight tells me how much I'm going to eat and exercise that day. Hey, I bought another scale to see if my old one was wacked. They never agree; always .5-1.5 pounds off. They take turns being the heavy. I take turns believing the light one.

That said, this NFL player I met at his friend's public gym told me his waist size is what he personally thinks is the most important. No, he doesn't play center...
  • staticsplitstaticsplit Posts: 503Member Member Posts: 503Member Member
    It varies for me. Sometimes it's every day, sometimes once a week. I just weighed myself this morning for the first time in 3 weeks and I was down about 4 pounds, which isn't surprising as I've had a cold for 2 weeks that has messed with my appetite. I have another 2 pounds in my maintenance range--if I dip below that it's time to break out the peanut butter.
  • MaxxittMaxxitt Posts: 1,084Member Member Posts: 1,084Member Member
    Using "happy scale" to note trends has been really helpful - those normal pounds fluctuations smoothed out over weeks and months helped me identify when I needed to tighten up a bit - and I can see with a year's data now that I have been "maintaining." It's more useful if I have more data points and so I weigh in a few times a week.
  • walktalkdogwalktalkdog Posts: 84Member Member Posts: 84Member Member
    For me, when I weighed in once a week if the weight was higher I'd get very discouraged; it seemed too long to wait for the next weigh in. So now I weigh every day and log it on Libra and when it's been a few days of higher weight I rein in my eating.

Sigh, so now a rant about maintenance. It doesn't seem to get easier, at least not for me. My body just wants to weight ten pounds more, and I have to be in a constant state of awareness. Yes, I will let myself indulge in occasional celebrations, but then always return to vigilence. My stats: female, 62 years old, height 5'7",current weight fluctuating between 155 and 157. I want to maintain under 155. (and I did for a very short while) I follow a good exercise plan.
  • mtaratootmtaratoot Posts: 1,432Member Member Posts: 1,432Member Member
    Every day shortly after I get out of bed. Close to the same time every day under similar conditions. Then enter daily data to a spreadsheet that calculates a moving average to even out the inevitable daily spikes. I also use a website that does a weighted moving average which I like better because it assigns a higher value to measurements in the recent past versus farther in the past (about ten days).

I have seen many times when, if I had been only weighing once a week, the scale would have told me something that I would have completely misinterpreted. Weighing every day that I am near my scale works great for me. All that said, I haven't COMPLETELY disassociated my emotional response from the number I see each day. It's still a little bit of a challenge. But I KNOW in my head what it is, and I try to convince my heart (or liver depending on where you think emotions come from :smile: ) that it's just a number, and then look at my TREND. I'm a recovering scientist, so data are my friend.

As an example, here's the graph of the last six months from Trendweight:

3o27rb3ajg1u.png

As an example, if I weighed myself on Sundays, my scale weight between September 1-8 went up four pounds, but the weighted moving average went DOWN a third of a pound. Conversely, between August 18-25, my scale weight went down 1.8 pounds, but my trend was UP 1.3 pounds. It's the trend that's most important. I will continue to work on disconnecting from the daily readings because without taking the daily readings, the trend is less accurate.
    edited October 12
  • BreezyWernerBreezyWerner Posts: 17Member Member Posts: 17Member Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Every day shortly after I get out of bed. Close to the same time every day under similar conditions. Then enter daily data to a spreadsheet that calculates a moving average to even out the inevitable daily spikes. I also use a website that does a weighted moving average which I like better because it assigns a higher value to measurements in the recent past versus farther in the past (about ten days).

I have seen many times when, if I had been only weighing once a week, the scale would have told me something that I would have completely misinterpreted. Weighing every day that I am near my scale works great for me. All that said, I haven't COMPLETELY disassociated my emotional response from the number I see each day. It's still a little bit of a challenge. But I KNOW in my head what it is, and I try to convince my heart (or liver depending on where you think emotions come from :smile: ) that it's just a number, and then look at my TREND. I'm a recovering scientist, so data are my friend.

As an example, here's the graph of the last six months from Trendweight:

3o27rb3ajg1u.png

As an example, if I weighed myself on Sundays, my scale weight between September 1-8 went up four pounds, but the weighted moving average went DOWN a third of a pound. Conversely, between August 18-25, my scale weight went down 1.8 pounds, but my trend was UP 1.3 pounds. It's the trend that's most important. I will continue to work on disconnecting from the daily readings because without taking the daily readings, the trend is less accurate.

A recovering scientist.... I am a recovering electrical engineer. Totally get it.
  • jrwms714jrwms714 Posts: 421Member Member Posts: 421Member Member
    Every day for me for the last 7 years, 5 of them in maintenance. It took a while for me not to freak at the number and Happy Scale helps with that. But when you are in maintenance for a while, you learn what works for you and how to handle numbers.