Underrated foods?

Options

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I would also like to say that orange marmalade + butter + toast is under appreciated
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Strawberries
    Cucumbers
    Tomatoes
    Onions

I especially love adding cooked onions to dishes to beef up flavor and volume, without drastically changing the macros.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not arguing with the list and all that makes sense, I just think it probably varies by location and it's interesting to see how perception varies. Now that I know what you mean by runny cheeses I'd say that's contrary to my perception too (in the sense that if someone orders a cheese plate or brings one to a party it will include that sort of cheese and it will be one of the most popular), but I do agree when it comes to what people are likely to have at home.

Both of my parents liked fish and I grew up eating it (and going fishing with my dad and his friends), so I think my perception of how popular fish is could be distorted.

Our ideas about which veg are the most common differ (but again it's going to depend on all kinds of things). I would expect anyone, even people who don't eat lots of veg, to have onion on hand and to use it, maybe shallots for people who cook more. Even people who don't like veg will usually eat cole slaw too. Potatoes (since you mentioned), I'd also consider popular (it's the only veg, if one considers it that, that Americans actually eat in any significant amount). Brussels seem popular, but right now (since not in season) I don't see people buying them since they aren't as available -- the ones in my local store right now are giant and unappealing). The veg I see people buying all year, along with carrots, celery, are cauliflower, onion, broccoli, peppers, and then bagged greens of various sorts. Kale is semi trendy still (more so a few years ago) but still it seems more disliked than not, and same with beets (although people mostly seem to love or hate beets).

But I've decided I can't really tell.

Just throwing out what I perceive as support for my view on fish from another current thread, when a meat-avoiding OP was asked if they ate meat:
    I've got no prob eating salmon, tuna..

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10763760/cutting-down-on-meat-need-help#latest

:smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not arguing with the list and all that makes sense, I just think it probably varies by location and it's interesting to see how perception varies. Now that I know what you mean by runny cheeses I'd say that's contrary to my perception too (in the sense that if someone orders a cheese plate or brings one to a party it will include that sort of cheese and it will be one of the most popular), but I do agree when it comes to what people are likely to have at home.

Both of my parents liked fish and I grew up eating it (and going fishing with my dad and his friends), so I think my perception of how popular fish is could be distorted.

I ate a fair amount of fish growing up Catholic, but mostly it was a frozen breaded product, and I thought I didn't like fish, when what I didn't like was frozen breaded stuff. A light bread crumb coating you apply to a filet yourself is fine, but the stuff my folks bought when I was growing up was a thick coating that developed into a layer of mush between the crispier outer crumbs and the actual fish, and generally tasted just shy of burned and just shy of rancid -- the burned could be due to overcooking but the oil was already embedded in the crumb coating, I believe, so I don't think my mother could have been to blame there.

We did on rare occasions have fresh fish from fishing excursions, which I liked better, except for the fear of choking on a bone. (I'm wondering now if somehow my mother didn't really know to filet a fish, despite knowing how to clean and cook fresh fish?)

So maybe my perception is skewed by that, but when I first wrote it, I was -- at least on a conscious level -- more thinking about much more recent experiences in restaurants and dining in other people's homes. I don't think I have ever been served fin fish other than salmon or tuna in someone's home.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I ate a fair amount of fish growing up Catholic, but mostly it was a frozen breaded product, and I thought I didn't like fish, when what I didn't like was frozen breaded stuff. A light bread crumb coating you apply to a filet yourself is fine, but the stuff my folks bought when I was growing up was a thick coating that developed into a layer of mush between the crispier outer crumbs and the actual fish, and generally tasted just shy of burned and just shy of rancid -- the burned could be due to overcooking but the oil was already embedded in the crumb coating, I believe, so I don't think my mother could have been to blame there.

We did on rare occasions have fresh fish from fishing excursions, which I liked better, except for the fear of choking on a bone. (I'm wondering now if somehow my mother didn't really know to filet a fish, despite knowing how to clean and cook fresh fish?)

So maybe my perception is skewed by that, but when I first wrote it, I was -- at least on a conscious level -- more thinking about much more recent experiences in restaurants and dining in other people's homes. I don't think I have ever been served fin fish other than salmon or tuna in someone's home.

I have different experiences re what I see people ordering in restaurants, but I don't think fish is a common thing to have at dinner parties, true. I don't think I've ever served it beyond one time I did skate in brown butter because it's so fast.

I do think salmon and (canned) tuna and tilapia are likely the most commonly consumed fish. The later two are pretty cheap, and salmon is just really popular. I'd say trout and some others are underrated vs. salmon for sure (I dislike canned tuna, although I like tuna steak, and I think tilapia is overrated and usually don't eat it).
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Roasted seaweed
    Liver
    Okra
    Lima beans (and beans in general)
    Kefir
    Alliums of all sorts (onions, leeks, shallots, etc.)
    Cabbage
    Fin-fish other than salmon and tuna
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Seitan

Lynn, I wanna be your friend just based on this list!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    I think apple butter is underrated, mostly. All those little jam packets at breakfast restaurants, only rarely apple butter - in my part of the country, at least, even though it's an apple growing region.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Roasted seaweed
    Liver
    Okra
    Lima beans (and beans in general)
    Kefir
    Alliums of all sorts (onions, leeks, shallots, etc.)
    Cabbage
    Fin-fish other than salmon and tuna
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Seitan

By "fin-fish" do you mean fish that have fins? Tofu, tempeh, and seitan are definitely popular here, but I'm also in Portland, OR. We have at least one local tofu producer (that apparently makes really good tofu - my stomach hates tofu so I don't eat it which sucks) as well as a "specialty food manufacturer hand crafting unconventional, soy-free tempeh" that my among other restaurants, my Saturday post rowing breakfast spot gets their tempeh from.

Yes, as opposed to shell-fish.

I'm on the East Coast, and tofu, tempeh, and seitan are fairly easy to find in most of the grocery stores I shop in, so obviously somebody is eating them. But I would say that each one of those stores devotes significantly less shelf space to tofu, tempeh, and seitan combined than they do to plain greek yogurt. Or to almondmilk. Or to Pop Tarts. Or Cheerios. Or shredded cheddar cheese.

While I know people who eat tofu, tempeh, and seitan, it's a relatively small percentage of the people I know. And the ones that don't eat them seem to have generally negative views (or they do once you explain what tempeh and seitan are).

And I realize I left something off my list:

runny cheeses

Ah - I've never heard that term used before, learn a new thing every day. Salmon is really popular here, but I don't see that as a, "everything else is underrated/salmon is overrated". I'm in the Pacific Northwest and various salmon species are native to the area. Also popular is trout and halibut. I grew up eating rainbow trout way more than salmon actually.

What you said about allums is interesting given that they're in just about everything. I once had a friend who was allergic to allums and oh the sympathy I had. I see people getting onions all the time. Shallots not so much. But onions and garlic are very common.

I don't pay much if any attention to the tofu or yogurt sections (more to the yogurt section actually if only because I sometimes use it in recipes), but tofu is a very popular "oh you don't want meat in this dish?" option here. It has been for as long as I remember. The new players in that arena here are tempeh and seitan.

Mind you, this thread is also really specific to the type of food you eat and the types of stores/markets you buy groceries from, despite your geographic location. The two stories I buy groceries from most often are the above natural food store and a large Japanese grocery store. Needless to say, tofu is really common despite my not eating it. Most of the food that I eat, either cooking it myself or eating out, contains various allums.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Ah - I've never heard that term used before, learn a new thing every day. Salmon is really popular here, but I don't see that as a, "everything else is underrated/salmon is overrated". I'm in the Pacific Northwest and various salmon species are native to the area. Also popular is trout and halibut. I grew up eating rainbow trout way more than salmon actually.

My mom grew up in Washington, my dad in Alaska (mostly, also IA), and they met and married in Seattle. We moved around a bunch when I was a kid (from southern FL to AK) and spent a lot of time with relatives in WA, and salmon and halibut were staples when we were in the PNW. Now I eat trout way more, and its probably my favorite fish. But I do think salmon deserves its following (and that in a lot of places halibut can be underrated, but it's also expensive around here).
    What you said about allums is interesting given that they're in just about everything. I once had a friend who was allergic to allums and oh the sympathy I had. I see people getting onions all the time. Shallots not so much. But onions and garlic are very common.

This is kind of what I was getting at.

But again I totally agree that it depends on where you are, what your friends like, etc.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

My mom grew up in Washington, my dad in Alaska (mostly, also IA), and they met and married in Seattle. We moved around a bunch when I was a kid (from southern FL to AK) and spent a lot of time with relatives in WA, and salmon and halibut were staples when we were in the PNW. Now I eat trout way more, and its probably my favorite fish. But I do think salmon deserves its following (and that in a lot of places halibut can be underrated, but it's also expensive around here).
    Heh - I totally forgot to mention halibut. I was thinking about it earlier when I was thinking about replying, but it didn't make its way into the post.
  • bennim1
    bennim1 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Those mini red/orange/yellow peppers! I have stuffed them with cottage cheese, tuna, egg salad. But the biggest flavor-blast I have come up with for for red bell pepper is eating it with a piece of ginger, the pickled kind for sushi. I haven't tried with regular yet.
    I also think fresh ginger, fresh basil/dill/cilantro deserve a lot of love!
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

I have different experiences re what I see people ordering in restaurants, but I don't think fish is a common thing to have at dinner parties, true. I don't think I've ever served it beyond one time I did skate in brown butter because it's so fast.

I do think salmon and (canned) tuna and tilapia are likely the most commonly consumed fish. The later two are pretty cheap, and salmon is just really popular. I'd say trout and some others are underrated vs. salmon for sure (I dislike canned tuna, although I like tuna steak, and I think tilapia is overrated and usually don't eat it).

I agree with you on tilapia -- not that it's bad, but it seems to get way more attention than other, equally worthy or even more interesting fish. And there do seem to be trends in the "third" popular fish after salmon and tuna -- in my adult life I've seen the third, fad fish cycle through (blackened) catfish (I like catfish, but I seldom found that charring it improved it), mahi-mahi, Chilean sea bass, and now tilapia. I may have missed some of the fads.

In addition to exploring what's available in the freezers next to the fish counter (almost everything on ice at the fish counter was previously frozen, so I only pay extra for having the store defrost it if I definitely want something to cook that night), I've also discovered that I like canned fish beyond the usual tuna and salmon, such as sardines, mackerel, herring (kippers), and smoked trout.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Scallops... yum.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Liver
  • pancakerunner
    edited September 2019
    Options
    EGGNOG
    pdtewj5prw60.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    EGGNOG
    <snip photo for length>

Actual eggnog, with heaps of real cream and eggs and rum and such, with fresh nutmeg: Yes. Things in cartons from the store: Mostly, not so much. Some (not all) are OK, but not the same.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    EGGNOG
    <snip photo for length>

Actual eggnog, with heaps of real cream and eggs and rum and such, with fresh nutmeg: Yes. Things in cartons from the store: Mostly, not so much. Some (not all) are OK, but not the same.

Agreed.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    -Tofu
    - Yellow split peas
    - Dill
    - Cacao (has more nutrition than cocoa)
    - Light soy milk
    - Rooibus tea
    - Cottage cheese