September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Way to go on your half @hamsterwheel6! Physically you could probably manage another half in two weeks but your legs will still be recovering so it may be a bit of a struggle.

@hamsterwheel6 Sorry, I missed that you asked this question...

I run 3 halfs in a row, back to back, on a regular basis and can follow that with a 20 mile run just a few days later. Some people need weeks to recover from a half. Everyone is different in this. So the answer is pretty personal.

Whatever you do, do not compare yourself to anyone but yourself. You need to figure out where you are, and what your body needs. Learning to listen to your body is key in endurance sports.

I suggest you take it easy and build slowly and discover your limits. Much better to build too slow than too fast.

• PastorVincent
    Great report @rheddmobile!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    @rheddmobile Great race report and congratulations on the AG win and trophies for both of you!
  • PastorVincent
    edited September 2019
    So had to work a bit late today, which meant by the time I got out of the gym it was too late for my normal run, so I only did 8 miles. Much prefer 10-13 if I am going to bother with the whole get changed, run, shower get changed again thing but convinced my self 8 miles still beat 0 and went out.

Of course, life being what it is, I got back to the gym later than normal (since started late) and by the time I showered and left the gym all the doors to the parking garage (which is at my work, not the gym) were locked.

And being essentailly what D&D/RPG players would recognize as "Neutral Good" - I, umm, bypassed the locked doors so that I could get in my Jeep and drive home. I also contacted the powers that be and told them I would like "after-hours access" which they said I could have, but it is anyone's guess how long that will take.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Great race report @rheddmobile! You and your husband have really progressed through the years! 😄💪
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Congrats @rheddmobile!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Way to go on your half @hamsterwheel6! Physically you could probably manage another half in two weeks but your legs will still be recovering so it may be a bit of a struggle.

@hamsterwheel6 Sorry, I missed that you asked this question...

I run 3 halfs in a row, back to back, on a regular basis and can follow that with a 20 mile run just a few days later. Some people need weeks to recover from a half. Everyone is different in this. So the answer is pretty personal.

Whatever you do, do not compare yourself to anyone but yourself. You need to figure out where you are, and what your body needs. Learning to listen to your body is key in endurance sports.

I suggest you take it easy and build slowly and discover your limits. Much better to build too slow than too fast.

Quite right. I could do it, but maybe should take it easy since this was my first. Did 5 miles today. Not great, but not bad. So yeah. Build slowly. But You know the runners high thing....that's what this I can do it thinking is.
    I may still do the 10 miler though at the end of October. That might be better ha.