Teachers or Future Teachers

Options

Replies

• Ittee
    Ittee Posts: 285
    Options
    Foxie: I am glad that they are starting so early, and also that they still maintain their class. I think our students would greatly benefit from already being adjusted.

For my meals, I'll go frozen or just choose from a couple of fast food (but high on sodium). Leftovers are the greatest assest that I've found. Someone suggested frozen mango, so I picked up that for snacks (not as easy in between short passing periods) and I've also bought some dried (non-sugar sweetened) fruit. My personal favorite is granola bars however. It's quick enough to hurry through halls, or on your way down the bathroom, in between classes.
  • jonbrittim
    Options
    This is my first post...and I can't wait to see if it turns out right.

I am a teacher also but have been home raising children for 11 years (that's when the last stage of my weight gain happened). I have been subbing for the last few years so the staff room nightmares weren't really a problem since it feels funny eating other people's snacks when you're a guest. BUT, I am going back to the classroom this year. I will be teaching a 2nd Grade Dual Language. I worked long term in this building last year and everyone was doing Weight Watchers (as a free insurance benefit that I couldn't get as a sub). They lost a ton of weight and the snacks changed significantly in the staff room. I have to admit that when I got the job it did cross my mind that I wouldn't/shouldn't bring the yummy goodies that I love to bake to the staff room this year! That disappointed me because it's something I enjoy. I will have to learn to make more weight-loss friendly snacks.

My best friend introduced me to this website in the last 2 weeks while I was on a 3-week road trip with my family. The first few days of the trip I knew I was going to be in trouble because of all of the fast food meals, snacking and family cooking. I told her there was no way I could start this on the road. BUT, about a week ago before we started our trek back from Independence, MO to Oregon (we drove the Oregon Trail) I decided to commit to it! It was easy to PLAN what I would eat at the fast food places having the mobile site with me to check ahead of time! There were a few days I went over but all-in-all I had a successful week. I returned late last night and weighed in this morning. I am down 2 pounds which I never thought possible 3 weeks ago starting out on this trip! Off I go...back to the classroom with healthy lunches and no staff room naughtiness...I think I can lose 5 pounds a month each month until Feb. 23 - my 45th birthday and be at my first goal of 150!
  • jonbrittim
    Options
    Karylee,
    Your story is so similar to mine...wow! I am finally going back to my own classroom this year after 11 years off and a couple years of subbing. I'm hoping that this helps my weight loss having a more structured day/year! Way to go on your weight-loss! It looks like you walk or run for exercise. I am a power walker and also do Zumba 2x a week but never lose weight. I hope that the simple act of counting calories will be my golden ticket!!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
  • joimichele
    joimichele Posts: 382
    Options
  • joimichele
    Options
    How is everyone! How did the first weeks go? My first week was awesome and hectic and I loved every minute of it.
    For those of you who wanted to start the challenge we will start next Monday.
  • smlandry
    smlandry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First day with the kids...whew! It was a whirlwind! I am up way too late and so now I'm cutting this short to get some sleep. Hopefully tomorrow is not as crazy. Good luck everyone!
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Yesterday and today were back to school conferences. Normally the kids are a bit quiet and shy. Not this year. Chatty from the get go....makes me a bit nervous, I'll admit. Tomorrow is the first day with kids.

I need to go back through and read posts. What is the challenge?

Have a great school year everyone!
  • hbkanumalla
    hbkanumalla Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey Heather!

I teach Middle School ELA too. Our Middle School concept is 5th and 6th grade in Texas. What grade do you teach?

Hi Erika!

Sorry for taking so long to respond...I haven't checked the thread in a few days!

Our "Middle School" is 6th through 8th grade. I'll be working with students in all three grade levels, but since my specialty is Special Needs students, they won't be at grade level. For example, I know one of my students will be entering 6th grade, but currently has a late 1st grade reading level.
  • joimichele
    Options
    I am doing better than I thought. I eat the same way as at home. Small snacks in between meals etc...How is everybody else doing?
  • christinechipchase
    christinechipchase Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump for later xx
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    So far so good. Been packing my lunch and snacks, and walked past the table of bagels the other day. I did stop once, to grab a yogurt!
  • mtaylor3348
    mtaylor3348 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    dAY 1 Bru ha ha. Food everywhere! Basically ate 1/2 of a few sweets and avoided fats. Healthy lunch (should have brought left over home!) because EXHAUSTED! and no energy to cook. True to form I woke at a ridiculous hour (5). Got a great, 3 mile sweaty walk/ run before work. Ok....tomorrow another day & prep for hurricane!:tongue:
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Friday was the last pre-service day... CRAZY! I think I'm ready for day 1. This year it has been much easier to get ready because I don't have the responsibility of the department chair position:-)

My goals for next week:
    Stay away from the team room food (had a problem with that on Friday)
    Exercise EVERY day (this is so difficult as the year intensifies)
    Keep positive (also difficult as things get stressful)
    Have FUN (the first week with kids is the best!)

I hope all of you have a great week:-)
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Not a teacher yet, but I'm attending teacher's college this year in Ontario. I'm very excited to start my career next year.
  • Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I'm in my 3rd year of teaching and I'm just about to start my UK Teacher Training while teaching full time in Post 16 Special Educational Needs.
    Nice to see so many and such a range of teachers on here.
  • joimichele
    Options
    Are any of you educators in the way of the hurricane? If so, be safe!
  • climbingpanda
    climbingpanda Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow. I've come to the conclusion that I have got the worlds best head teacher (principal for all of my American teachers), I've been off work since April with neuro issues. Got the all clear and was dreading going back to school full time on the 5th September ... I've been told that I'm only allowed to go back part time, I'm to take it slow AND the school will still pay me full time :0)

What a lovely man. He wants me to aim to be back full time by May! Can NOT believe it :0)

So happy now ... just have to adjust to sharing classes for a while :0S
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That's GREAT news! Good for you! Have a good year!
  • foxieboxy
    foxieboxy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Climbingpanda, Awesome news!!

Tempation -- augh! Today in my department meeting, one of our admins brought in a big ol' bag of peanut butter cups. I had to walk on the other side of my classroom, so I couldn't smell them. The meeting was over, and the bag of candy was left. I will fully admit that part of me wanted to run right over there and scarf down some chocolate! :) I didn't, but, man, it was tough.