WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Welcome to the first day of fall/autumn. I am looking forward to the milder temperatures. We will still have some days in the 90s, but overall the temperatures will slowly drop.

Lanette – Thank you for reading through my mantras and mentioning Kiki Dee. I had forgotten all about her (I’ve Got the Music in Me). It is definitely a great pick-up-the pace tune.

Heather – You and your husband make a beautiful couple. When I saw the picture I immediately thought of the song, “Lady in Red”. Thank you for sharing your story. You are an inspiration.

Michele – February is definitely a great month to visit the great State of Florida. Interesting, I used to attend the annual NASCAR Championship race down in Homestead. I love the fast cars and the crowds. I saw the Daytona 500 one year and enjoyed it very much. The sound of those engines.

Cheri – We were practically neighbors. I live in Deerfield Beach. Parkland has grown by leaps and bounds over the years (funny all of Parkland was either swamp or cow farms when I first moved to Florida). I absolutely love the Fit Desk bike. I am putting it on my wish list. I like the fact the wheel is covered. Other versions have an open wheel and I can just imagine Smokey the Cat sticking in his paw while he watches the wheel turn (he is a playful one).

I hope the day brings a spot of joy for everyone.
    SuziQ
    Broward County, FL
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello lovelies.

We are in the home stretch of the month of September. The next two weeks will be rather stressful at work. I am a stress eater so my goal for the next two weeks is to be sure I plan my meals and have lots of healthy sense-satisfying snacks around. It sure makes for a heavy lunch bag (I carry the day's water too), but I am looking at that as a form of exercise. :)

Stats
    08/24 - Starting Weight - 195.0
    09'19 Goal - 184.0
    09/01 - 189.0
    09/08 - 186.2
    09/15 - 186.0 - Two weeks to go - here's to getting those two pounds off for good!!
    09/22 - 183.2

I had to remind myself of the caloric measurements of a pound.......some are specific to me because we all have different lifestyles.

3,500 calories = one pound
    2,000 calories/day = maintenance
    1,500 calories/day = weight loss of 1 pound per week
    1,200 calories/day = weight loss of 1.5 pounds per week

As the end of September approaches I am starting to plan my October goals. I am going to shoot for 1.5 pounds a week which will put me at around 175 or so by the end of October. I am also thinking about ways to step up the exercise plan (I almost fit in to my "fat" yoga clothes) so I will be in search of yoga classes that do not cost an arm and a leg. :) It has been a few years since I practiced regularly so I am in need of classes.

Wishing everyone a great day/evening.
    SuziQ - Broward County, FL

PS: I noticed a few of you use "Spoiler" for longer posts. Would love to know how do use that feature for my longer "rants". :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Jan-19 ... 241.6 km (150.1 miles) = 27 hours 2 minutes
    Feb-19 ... 175.5 km (109 miles) = 19 hours 8 minutes
    Mar-19 ... 170.3 km (105.8 miles) = 28 hours 21 minutes
    Apr-19 ... 160.3 km (99.6 miles) = 25 hours 4 minutes
    May-19 ... 164.0 km (101.9 miles) = 29 hours 10 minutes
    Jun-19 ... 246.2 km (153 miles) = 25 hours 40 minutes
    Jul-19 ... 217.3 km (135.0 miles) = 33 hours 45 minutes
    Aug-19 ... 162.5 km (100.9 miles) = 28 hours 4 minutes

Goal: More than August!!

Sunday, 1 September 2019 … 5.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 2 September 2019 … 4.3 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs + pilates
    Tuesday, 3 September 2019 … 6.9 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 6 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 4 September 2019 … 2.9 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 2.4 km rowing + 6 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 5 September 2019 … 1.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 2.5 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs
    Friday, 6 September 2019 … 2.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 7 September 2019 … 2.1 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

Sunday, 8 September 2019 … 0.0 km walking + 10.2 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 9 September 2019 … 3.6 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Tuesday, 10 September 2019 … 5.4 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 11 September 2019 … 6.6 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 6 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 12 September 2019 … 3.5 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Friday, 13 September 2019 … 1.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 14 September 2019 … 1.5 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

Sunday, 15 September 2019 … 0.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 16 September 2019 … 0.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

Tuesday, 17 September 2019 … 1.2 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 18 September 2019 … 1.2 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 19 September 2019 … 2.5 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs
    Friday, 20 September 2019 … 3.6 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 21 September 2019 … 0.0 km walking + 11.1 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

Sunday, 22 September 2019 … 1.3 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 23 September 2019 … 4.9 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs + Pilates!

2019 Monthly September
    Walking Distance (km): 61.2
    Walking Time (min): 761.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 21.3
    Cycling Time (min): 86.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Number: 42.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Time (min): 33.6
    Rowing Distance (km): 4.9
    Rowing Time (min): 33.0
    Other Distance: 0.0
    Other Time: 60.0 (Pilates)

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 87.4
    Total Distance (miles): 54.3
    Total Time (min): 974.4
    Total Time (hr): 16:14:21

Crawling along. I'm so ready to be active again, but my body just isn't quite that excited about it yet. Last bit of recovery.

Machka in Oz

rmevfb9d6hi1.png
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

@SuziQ113 , in order to make a spoiler, highlight the text you want to put in a spoiler, and select the pilcrow (the backwards P-looking, paragraph symbol). Under that, you'll see quote, code and spoiler. Selecting "Quote" will put it in a gray box, so it sets it off but it still shows, and "Spoiler" will give you the hide/show button and hide the longer bits. Please note, if you'd prefer to use the HTML code, you can type the word spoiler in brackets before your text and then after, with a slash in front of the word, and it works, as well. I've shown this below, but added a space in each so the code doesn't trigger. The first use of the word starts the action, and the second use of it, with the / symbol stops it from continuing.

[ spoiler] all your text would go in the middle here [/ spoiler]

Just a quick note before I head to the gym. My weight has leveled off, and even come back down a few pounds since 9/9, which I appreciate. The intermittent fasting works when I can hold to it, but I find myself STARVING in the mornings, as my exercise time is between 6 and 7 a.m. due to work hours and husband husbandry.

That time is not going to change, as I do spend as much time as I can with my husband when he's home from work in the evenings as I can... I only found him 11 years ago next month, and still feel every moment is precious, you know? One of the many reasons I'm trying to pay attention to my health is that I want just as many years with this husband, who treats me well, as I had with the first, neglectful one, and that means I'll be nearing 80 by the time I even out. :) My first marriage ended after 28 years. I'd rather these were healthy years!

So--recommitting to IF this week. My best friend's doctor told her that you must feel hungry sometimes in order to lose weight. Not sure I completely agree with that, as those with blood sugar issues do need to eat more frequently--but it's a reasonable thought. I do know I'm quite conditioned to leaping up and snagging food far too frequently, as I work at home, so it's time to get that sorted out, I'm thinking.

Whoops, got to fly,
    Later, my dears,
    Lisa in AR

• Machka9
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    So--recommitting to IF this week. My best friend's doctor told her that you must feel hungry sometimes in order to lose weight. Not sure I completely agree with that, as those with blood sugar issues do need to eat more frequently--but it's a reasonable thought. I do know I'm quite conditioned to leaping up and snagging food far too frequently, as I work at home, so it's time to get that sorted out, I'm thinking.

Whoops, got to fly,
    Later, my dears,
    Lisa in AR

I also believe that it doesn't hurt to feel hungry now and then ... that we don't always need to feel full.

I've got blood sugar issues too, but for some reason, I can usually manage to go without food between about 11 pm and nearly noon. Of course, I'm sleeping for at least 7 hours of that ... and generally relaxing between 11 pm and 12:30 am so I'm not burning much in the way of calories until I'm up and at it after 8 am. Between 8 am and noon, I'm usually quite busy ... as long as I don't think about it, I usually don't need a morning snack. :) A rumbling tummy isn't going to hurt me. I just turn my desk fan on. :)

I will, however, eat if I'm starting to feel lightheaded and like I can't concentrate and do my job.

And I have a lot more trouble going a long period of time without food later in the day.

M in Oz

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🤗
  • Machka9
    Options
    "Attending" last week's lecture this evening. :wink:

I'm watching the lecture recording at 1.5x speed.

I know there were some students there at the beginning because one asked a question about the assignment, but then at 55 min, at least 2 students left. The lecturer did not stop for a break at all, so I'm guessing that after those students left, that was it. No one was left in the room.

I don't know why the lecturers don't just record the lectures in a studio. I keep suggesting it. It would make things so much simpler.

Oh well, that's another lecture done. :)

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Lisa - I am ALWAYS hungry. I am even hungry after eating. I could eat all day. I don't wait for cues to eat as I would be always in the fridge.
    I have set times for eating and I eat the same kind of thing at the same time. Breakfast is always the same, made by my husband. 8.15. Lunch is some kind of light sandwich. 12.15. Afternoon is usually 200 calories, often avocado and cottage cheese. 15.00. Dinner is variable calories, but normally starts at 18.15 and goes on until 20.30. I don't eat outside those times, unless my DH is away and I resort to comfort eating, raiding the fridge, and all goes to pot! :sad:
    We have an aperitif at 17.00. :D
    This routine works for me, because, believe me, there is NO curb on my appetite. >:) If I don't eat regularly I get very lightheaded and can't function.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Tracey and Margaret – feel better fast

Cheri – my friend from college lives in Parkland. Her daughters went to the school where the shooting was.

Pip – how was the concert?

Went in the pool then strung more popcorn. I’ve declared that I am finished for this year. Had dinner then worked on Colby’s diamond dotz.

Oh come on pip – Yogi needs a mentor!!!

Rho – so glad Henry is off to his forever home

Michele in NC

I was thankful that he hadn’t lost his voice, hits sounded like the records

yogi has a mentor, it's floyd :0)
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @LaurieLynn62 ! Yep, that's about typical for us... 70 to 80 posts per day average. :) We do tell people that we're a chatty bunch. We mean it. :wink: Just enter conversations when and where you're comfortable--no expectations, no prohibitions except we stay away from politics and religion, which is a refreshing change from other social media. Perhaps why I've stayed with this one and dropped everyone but family on Facebook. And some of my family are unfollowed for 30 days at a time if they get too noisy! :blush:

My son and daughter were Air Force and Army respectively when I started chatting with these amazing ladies a few years back, and both stationed in Germany. Then the son went to Saudi, the daughter came back to the states. Now the son is out of the military, and both are stateside (one moving to Kansas in a few weeks, and one in Oregon in school), and yes, I also feel better with them somewhere I can drive to, if all heck breaks loose. It matters.

Heather - thank you for that description - yes, I think the time tick on the fasting is part of what's making it successful for me. Need a better schedule, and starting to get one.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rho: I was having trouble with my disappearing cel phone, and repeatedly lost it whenever I set it down somewhere. Then I had an aha moment. The screen side is black. The backside is white. If I lay it down on a white countertop I let the black screen side show. If I put it down on a dark surface, I put the white side up. I’ve had lots less stress since that aha moment and wonder why it took so long to figure it out. :embarassed: The Tile idea is a good one. I’m delighted to know that your service dog has found a good home. :heart:

Heather: I hope your DH has no more fainting episodes. Has he been in to see a doctor yet? Keeping you both in my good thoughts. :star: Thank you for sharing Nine things to Give Up if You Want to Be Happy. I’m happy to hear that your son is doing well.

(((Rori & Machka))) You are both in difficult situations and handle those difficulties with grace and good sense. I admire you both. :heart:

Cheri: I loved the TV series, Tugboat Annie when I was a kid. Too bad there isn’t a way to watch all those old shows “on demand.” I also loved a series with Pa and Ma Kettle. I think the actress who played Tugboat Annie also played Ma Kettle. She was Marjorie Main. :smiley:

Lisa in AR: I’m sorry your organization was hacked. What a load of stress and work it has caused! :grumble:

There are no to-do items for today, but tomorrow I have a visit to the dentist after yoga. This is a regular checkup and shouldn’t be more than a peek from the dentist & having my teeth cleaned.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    :) I don't know whether you have to feel hungry to lose weight, but what worked for me was to plan my meals and snacks for the day and stick to the plan, no matter what. My history is that everything feels like hunger (thirst, boredom, stress, excitement, exhaustion) so I eat regularly. Barbie

barbie That is me to a tee! Regular meal plans and regular/repetitive patterns are the key for me to stay on maintenance. I get thrown off by anxiety, boredom, happiness/holidays, you name it. Eating a regular meal plan that is healthy and keeps me full is the strategy that works best for me.

NYKAREN
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    There is so much to read/skim here. It'll take me a while to catch up.

Books: A few years ago, the Mister took a risk and bought me a Nook for a gift. He wasn't sure I'd like giving up the physical book. Turns out, I prefer it much more. This is especially true when traveling. He recently switched it to a Kindle Paperwhite because the Nook was quirky/buggy and I just didn't love it. I also love the free Prime books and the library connection and the ability to download the library books to my Kindle.

Low Cal Snacks: Cherry tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries (any berries), roasted cauliflower (I roast it a head at a time and eat it when I get snacky), any roasted veggies, bacon (if you can limit yourself to 2 pieces). I actually try to avoid snacking because those calories can add up quickly. I measure out my "snacks" in the morning, leave them on the counter and eat them throughout the day. I get come combo of 5 olives, 10 almonds, and 1/2 ounce of cheese, maybe some avocado, etc. That way I don't over eat and it's all counted in my daily counts. I also have an amino acid powder that is flavored and add a half scoop to water and it's like a snack and adds no calories.

Pets: Making the end of life decisions for my pets were three of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make and I don't want to do it again. This is one reason I no longer have pets. I enjoy watching the birds, squirrels, dragonflies, butterflies, lizards and other critters in my yard. My thoughts go out to those who are making those choices now.

Husbands/Partners/Men: I am fortunate that mine takes care of himself. He also eats well, because I am in charge of the menu. He is not picky and eats what I give him. So, he has healthy breakfast at home, leftover lunch, and dinner at home most of the time. We don't eat a lot of processed foods. He goes to the gym 4 times a week and does cardio the others. One day on the weekend, we run together. He is in very good shape and is only dealing with the "poor genes" he inherited. But he prefers to manage them through diet and exercise and avoids prescription meds. He also takes very good care of his teeth. Yes, I am "lucky" in that way.

Better do some work now....which means I will start looking at recipes for lunch and dinner for the week, completely ignoring work.