WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did an advance Pilates DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do some training games on the Wii

One of the ladies at ceramics’s is birthday next Sat. so I made her a tofu/chocolate infinity pie. Of course, to Vince it’s just an infinity pie. I’m thinking that I’ll also make a chocolate pudding pie a) for mahjongg we’ll have here and b) for Vince to finish. I’m also going to make some chocolate scones to have in the freezer for Vince. The plan is to make some zucchini patties for me to have.

Had my weekly weigh in today. I’m down ½ pound. Not much. I know that if I don’t have much in the evening, maybe only applesauce or saltine crackers (which is what I had last night), I lose. Now to put that into action….

I have a feeling that Denise is now realizing that the furniture that she got is too large for the townhouse. Wait until PJ gets older and has more and more toys and things (like a high chair). There honestly isn’t going to be room. But she’s going to learn.

Connie in KY – (((HUG)))

SuzyQ in FL – my biggest problem with any job that involves fresh fruit/veges ( farmers market, the place like yours that lets you pick) is that I’d eat all the profits at a farmers market and the food I picked would never get home….lol

Butternut squash is on sale next week and so is spaghetti squash. Oh, I can’t wait for the Instant Pot. Butternut squash in 10 minutes, spaghetti squash in 7 minutes. My mouth is watering. Well, for right now I’ll roast it in the oven. But once I get that IP…watch out!

M – I’m always amazed at how much you accomplish in a day. Taking care of your husband, cycling president, don’t forget to take care of YOU. You’re amazing

Luci – So sorry for your losses. To lose a friend at such a young age must have really affected you. I know that to this day I do not smoke because my mother was a very heavy smoker and she died when I was so young. Even before the Cancer Society associated smoking with death, my young mind associated it.

Michele in NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    DH has gone out birdwatching with his pals. DYD called and we went for a long walk along the coastal path past the marina where we keep our boat.
    This is the marina form the promenade:
    abodd4g6zvb4.jpg

This is our wee boat:
    78qsr3ucyww1.jpg
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Happy waking up in own bed this am. Got a good night's sleep. Grocery shopping done. Was actually excited to use food scale to weigh breakfast! I do not like the guessing portions, but according to scale, didn't do much damage. It is funny how we get used to certain things. Initially, weighing food and logging was awkward, now it is a habit I do not care to give up.

Off for a walk before it gets too hot, can't believe the type of September we are having. Supposed to be in the 90s several days this week, then dropping to 70's so I guess fall will really come at some point.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »

Off for a walk before it gets too hot, can't believe the type of September we are having. Supposed to be in the 90s several days this week, then dropping to 70's so I guess fall will really come at some point.

I noticed our Pacific Northwest gals are predicted to have winter weather very soon! t118031.gift118027.gif

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    I love that wet pic of lil yogi.he was so cute. still is
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Pip you caught Yogi between fully wet and the shake that quickly follows - I have tried to catch Levi like that but the shake is always to quick!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Your ship board room looks comfortable and attractive. Very nice! :heart:

Sharon: My mom spent the last few months in a senior living facility near us that is probably similar to what you were describing. They had delightful meals and regular entertainment in the evenings. She made friends there and was as happy as I’ve ever known her to be. She enjoyed living there until very near the end when she had to be moved to a hospital and then a nursing home because of failing lungs. Both of my parents lit one cigarette from the last on a regular basis beginning in their teens. Mom’s parents were also smokers. :sad:

Gingerbeeric: Welcome. I’ve seen the Dragon Boats racing on the Willamette River in downtown Portland. Do you live in the area? :huh:

RV Rita: I was diagnosed with colitis in the long-time past. It turned out to be caused by lactose intolerance and giving up milk was a huge step in the right direction. Now it is easy to find lactose free milk in the grocery stores and lactaid pills are readily available for occasions when milk or cream is part of a meal. There is a restaurant in Olympia that has the best ice-cream cake on the planet. Lactaid to the rescue!!!! I hope that you find ways to change your eating and still get to keep some of the things you enjoy. :heart:

Rebecca: LOVE the cartoon. :laugh:

Pip: That’s the one! Floyd and his hairy chest is a great photo. :bigsmile:

Rori: My son has intentions of going sailing with me next season. I hope it comes true. :smiley:

Connie in KY: I’ll keep you and your mom in my good wishes. :heart:

Terri: Thanks for sharing the beautiful photo of your marina! It is huge compared to the marinas in our city. :bigsmile:

Karen in VA: Today is gorgeous. Winter weather will happen, and it will involve lots of rain. Some years we get snow and ice, too. We’ll see what comes. Last winter was amazingly mild. :ohwell:

I noticed a change in one of my moles this morning. I have an appointment with my doctor next week before I leave for Illinois.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) Back to practicing non attachment. The charging cord won't plug in to my phone and Jake has been put on hold for ages trying to get help from our mobile phone company. :'(
  • Rho97070
    Rho97070 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good morning/afternoon to all and happy weekend! :smile:

Reinventing Rhonda - Day 27
    Didn't get car back from mechanic's yesterday, but that's okay. 1st of the month bills, i.e. rent, is priority now. I'll probably pick it up at the end of next week after the coffers have been replenished.

BF (who works from home) is out doing his errands today. It's nice to get some girly preening done while he's away as well as laundry, cutting up veggies and meal planning for the next few days.

I'm still down a little less than four lbs lost since the beginning of the month, so holding steady. That's not a lot of weight loss, I know, but I consider myself still in training mode - what to eat and what not to eat to keep energy up and sugar and fats down and developing portion control habits.

Changed the sheets this morning and added the electric blanket Yup! PNW temps are definitely dropping :grimace:
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Flowers All the photos were a nice touch. They brightened my day. I especially liked the trumpet vine. My BF will bring some home every-once-and-a-while, and I melt! What is it with women and flowers, eh?

Heather UK Your suite is very posh :smile: Glad to know you're enjoying the amenities aboard ship. What a way to celebrate your 70th!

Sharon My days of crawling on a kitchen floor and reaching for things in the way back of a lower cupboard are numbered. I wish I had pull-out shelves . . . perhaps I'll put add them to my project list for next year.

Rebecca Athena sure looks to be a happy girl : Do you get to spend much time together? Thankfully, eldest son, wife and my GDtr Alice live in the next town :smiley: P.S. Just curious - why are you giving up coffee?

Lisa in AR Nice to know your DH is enjoying the mudroom reno (sure beats the alternative :-)

Rori Could you please explain what Reiki is? How is it administered? What does it feel like? What are the effects? How does it differ from, say, acupressure or massage?

Machka Like Michele, I too am amazed (and bewildered) over how much you accomplish! P.S. Fab photo of you in your biking gear!

KJ and fruit flies I'm fly-phobic also. What works for me to deter fruit flies is to use a left over dosage cup from cough medicine with about a teaspoon of bleach in it. Wha-la! No fruit flies :wink:

Kim Your housekeeper quote . . . a new mental picture is planted in my mind. Yuk! And thank you!!!

Welcome Gingerbeeric Always had an interest in Dragon Boat racing but I could never make it either in the a.m. or p.m. to the spot where they practice from since it's about 45 min from my home. Know a couple of gals on teams, though . . . Kudos to you!

Photo of the Willamette River near my home where BF and I walked this morning
    toexkpzp6c33.jpg

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    Yvonne, :heart: Luna and her new boots! Is she giving you stink eye? Fingers X'd that translating Philips menu plan into an online shopping list works out. Have you asked him which chore he'd like to do to save you time? (hahahah I can hear Joe saying “None!”)
    SuziQ I would have freaked out and probably killed the twit who put his pet trantula on my arm.
    Beth and Michele feel the same way about this group as you do. You all are my cup of coffee gab fest problem solvers. Was lucky enough to have one walk through the door, help hide the body, loved me flaws and all BFF. Miss her sorely all these years later.
    Lanette yes, I am one of the four or five fragile seniors who cling to the chair from time to time. The other 20 or so gals manage with a few wobbles. Guessing the ages range from 50-80 with me at the bottom of the top third ;)
    Rori you give me hope that shape change is possible! Brava! And for the grace with which you care for your husband and brother, Bravissima!
    Laurie in VA as LIsa (and Barbie) have said find out what you will do. For me, classes work much better than self discipline, so my exercise consists primarily of Better Bones and Balance (was T'ai Chi) MWF mornings, Line Dancing Tues and Fri pm, Dog group/pack walk Wednesday and Saturday afternoons. Puttering in the garden, walking Tumble down to the cistern and VERY occasionally shoving the vacuum around and th tha that's all folks!
    Carol, the racerback bra from JC Penney is very comfortable, and better than the J Jill shelf bra/tank for corralling the girls under a Hawaiian shirt, or so I thought 'til I saw myself in the mirror at line dancing last night. Not that they were bobbling away in opposite directions, but that they were smooshed together and down so I looked like I had TWO spare tires instead of one. [sigh] Will keep it for exercise class, as grit-my-teeth motivation.
    Sharon and Rebecca, thanks for the BP/dump trucks explanation. I was lost! Sharon where you live would appeal to me, if only it were a little warmer and drier. ;) Rebecca your Dogs involved... chocolate prescription and Trainer memes were exactly what I needed. Thank you!
    Welcome Kimberly in VA.

Where I've lived:
    San Francisco, Ca
    Albany, CA
    Ukiah, CA
    Berkeley, CA
    Piedmont, CA
    Cazadero, CA
    Oakland, CA
    San Francisco, CA
    Oakland, CA
    Piedmont, CA
    Oakland, CA
    San Leandro, CA
    Boise, ID Whoops now THAT was a change!
    Nampa, ID
    North of Brookings, OR for good and all.

Only thru pg 86 of 96 but time to prep for dog group.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for September: grit
    Steps-3878 Wed, 1345 Thurs, 7077 Fri, vits-21 log-26 CICO-20 Tumble-12 mfp-23 AF-15
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rhonda: Beautiful photo of the Willamette River. I showed it to DH and he thinks it is near Wilsonville. Is he right??

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Ronda, Yes I am excited to see her! Well we live up on Whidbey and my middle son, daughter in law and sweet Athena live in Vancouver WA. Though you think we would just pop in down but I-5 down is the most ghastly drive, especially when you pass Seattle! Its 6 hours of high intensity driving, a task I just can't do. I learned to drive when I turned 50 and had a sickly husband, so now that he's well, well its a place I don't want to be at. My eldest son is taking his right hand drive can for the trip down. My husband might share in the driving, and its more spacious than our little cute Chevy Spark.👍
    My choice to stop drinking coffee came from me buying a large container of cheap coffee! I figured it was the world telling me that I needed to make a change. I love milky tea, so though it takes longer to prep, I think I won't miss coffee much. I am kinda switching one vice for another. But I can drink different kinds of teas now and then.👍
    💖Rebecca
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm caught up! I got behind a few weeks ago and have been desperately trying to get to this poiht!
    Rebecca, Athena is just a little doll! I don't remember if I told you or not, but her and my granddaughter, Rosie, share a birthday! I shall have to post a photo of her soon.
    Kelly, well, glad you heard from Trentin's mom, too bad it was just to ask you to care for her son after two months of no communication! Also glad that you said no. You don't need that drama in your life. I do feel for the kid tho...
    Heather, your cabin looks lovely! Miles above the cruise that we took, the main areas of the ship were very attractive, our cabin was tiny, but we didn't spend a whole lot of time in it anyway, so it worked out okay.
    Barbie, my sympathies with the charging cord issues. My charger only seems to like one outlet here at work and if I plug it into a different one, it just won't charge the phone. An easy fix, I know, but stupidly frustrating nevertheless! lol
    So many posts I wanted to comment on, but was so far behind, just please know that I have been celebrating your successes and commiserating with the non-successes! Life is going okay for me, I've put the bike away for the winter, it's just getting dark too early for me to be comfortable riding it back and forth to work. I did go back to the gym, made it all five days last week! Didn't go today, have to work earlier, but have tried staying active at work. Will go walking with a friend tomorrow (Sunday), that will be enjoyable. Last week met two friends (separately) so ended up doing two walks, it was great! The weather was just perfect and I thoroughly enjoyed catching up!
    I'm at work (of course!), and it's calling, so I must go for now.
    Hugs to those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    brnlcdkpe5f5.jpeg
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Annliz and Pip LOVE the dog pictures!! I am a dog fanatic! They are all so adorable! (And the poodle grooming looks fantastic!)

Heather Happy birthday and have a wonderful cruise! I took non-drowsy Dramamine on mine and was one of the only people on board who was not ill. We had some wild waves and were tossed around quite a bit, but I was fine!

Pip Love the picture in the water! You look so happy and in love!

GO BLUE! So happy my Wolverines won today!! I was beginning to think this season was a total wipe out, but today was a lot of fun! We went to Buffalo Wild Wings and watched on several TVs including a very big screen right in front of our table. The manager is really nice and knows us from previous visits so he even put the sound on for us!

Snacks Thank you to all who have given great snack ideas!! I had been having a rough time coming up with low calorie foods to snack on. I really appreciate all of the great suggestions!

Happy Saturday! Still catching up with reading pages...Luci in WNC

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)<3 Debbie in VA...sending lots of hugs your way. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.