What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    1 hour of tennis. A 1.5 hour long walk and 30 minutes of stretching/calisthenics.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    10 miles | 30:03
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    warm-up and boogey-board surfing today for my legs... and for fun! total 1 hr+
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Today was gymnastic rings training session - so hard but so fun

Workout consisted of 30 minutes movement pattern warm-up (Ido Portal style)

Then
    -wrist warmup
    - 5x2 Muscle ups using the harness trainer
    - 5 x 5 sets up eccentric chin ups using doing 3s pauses at top, middle then just before the bottom
    - 5x5 dips
    - 3 x 5 assisted chin ups
    - 3 x 8 pike push-ups
    - 3 x 8 incline dumbell bicep curls.

The 15 minutes of handstand practice after class. My shoulders are so sore right now.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Saturday

Active rest today.
    15 min progressive run. And that's it
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    9/28

Yoga this morning. Maybe jumprope later this afternoon...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Pre-race day mixed 8 practice. We had a partial line up for tomorrow's regatta. After our warm up, we did a 3k sub-race pace piece which felt good until we got to some really squirly water. I think the key for our warm-up tomorrow will be pause drills so we can have an easier time finding each other.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Thirty minutes track walking, 5 minute hot tub break, 60 minutes of water exercises, hot tub break shower then home.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    bench presses
    squats
    cable rows

i'm wondering if anyone has advice on squats. the fitness center i use has no barbells. would i be better off doing squats with the smith machine, or with dumbbells?

also, using dumbbells for deadlifts...ugh. but i have no alternatives (that i can think of).

i've only been strength training for about 9 months so i'm still using a beginner program (jay's)

I'm not a serious lifter like some are, but I have had to work around a bad back and a terrible structural right knee with dumbbells and kettlebells. I have access to barbells, but I'm afraid that my muscle is stronger than my joints, so I try to get creative. My right knee would pretty much fall apart under heavy weights.

One thing I found that helps me with deadlifts is Pendulum Deadlifts. You can use dumbbells, but I like heavy KBs. They are amazing.

Not sure if I can help you with the squat question. I do mostly Goblet Squats because my knees. I have done some light Barbell ones at the gym, but I don't trust my one knee with heavy weights. I would think a Smith Machine would be a good option for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uA1PLNIWK8

This is an idea for you on the squats. If you go heavy enough, Goblet Squats don't need much equipment and can be a burner.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-the-heavy-goblet-squat
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    stretching 15 min, ocean swim for 45 min, strength training 45 minutes for knee rehab, another 60 minutes full body strength training
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    10 miles | 30:05
  • corpsebride3406
    corpsebride3406 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just started country heat and done my first day......loved it!!!!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Long run Sunday.

8miles race pace in preparation for next weeks half.
    Last official training run of the year and my PT challenged me to run without the Garmin on my wrist. So I put my chest strap on and put the Garmin in my running bag. Slightly liberating but also quite tough on my aspergers brain, as I usually have it buzzing every 5min.

After next weeks race I'm going to take a couple weeks off the longer runs and then decide with my PT what we're going to focus on.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    First head race of the season and of my rowing career! 5k race and 12k rowed in total (including rowing past the start and then turning around to go to it).

Very very wet. So wet. So cold. I've learned that I can in fact row with my rain pants on (they don't get caught in the slide/wheels). There was also a lot of waiting because they race organizers decided that it would be smart to send the singles and the eights to the start of the course at the same time so we had to wait for all of the singles to get to the start, and then ended up waiting an extra 10 min, because why not?!

I also helped some juniors down the very narrow and slippery ramp to the start. And by "helped" I mean, more or less caught a junior who nearly fell because one of her feet missed the last step down and coached a few others down. This is what happens when you begrudgingly agree to be an oar lackey for one of the boats on your team, and then get trapped down on the dock because of the long line of people trying to get down.

This is character building...right?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    @Aokoye - great work! Congrats on your first 5K (head) race! That's awesome. Weather sounds God awful but that's all part of it, I suppose. Back when I used to run trail races, some of my most memorable ones were the swampfests. Those don't leave the memory banks.

Today was an epic Slow Steady fail. I don't emotionally (maturity wise) do well at the gym. I'm too competitive. On SS (Slow Steady) days, you're supposed to go right along, very slow and controlled. Abismally boring. So today I cut loose a few times, but I'll pay tomorrow when I'm supposed to do a harder sprint day. I'll likely cut the sprint part down a bit as I did some today, when I wasn't supposed to at all. 90% of Max HR isn't what you're supposed to be doing on 90 minute workouts!

sv6hloxl2rba.png
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I haven't logged here for a while.

25 and 26 September
    More diving with seals. Here is a video showing a playful pup with one of my friends:
    https://youtu.be/kRbedlOmLio

27 September
    The drive home was 7 hours'. I stopped off at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park for an 8 mile walk en route home.

I lifted in the evening, doing:
    Hangboard short hangs
    Bench (60 kgs max, just a single. 3 sets of 5 @ 55kgs.)
    Deadlift (2 sets of 5, 130 kgs, which is twice bodyweight)
    Banded facepulls

29 September
    Bouldering for 105 minutes. Not a great session, but not hopeless either.
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    33km | 65:07

I hit a wall hard at 26km. Had no energy at all. I didn't get a second wind until 31km in. I wonder if I was low on salt or just exhausted all carbs by that point. I chugged down my second litre of ketorade and felt fighting fit again at 31km in. Could have kept going another 10km at that point.

33km is good enough. This is what I'm hoping to do everyday until the end of the year. Gotta see what I can handle.
  • CaliValleyGirl
    CaliValleyGirl Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    85 mins on the bike, 13miles.
    Including 10 mins of HIIT that nearly killed me.
    18 mins calisthenics. Noticed an improved range of motion in my shoulders.

• TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Public holiday in my part of the world so a big exercise day. Started off the day with a lower body strength training session with a new trainer whose specialty is parkour so he though lots of jumps would be awesome
    - 10 minutes of dynamic jumps on various heights of boxes s
    - 3 rounds of barbell back squats 6 reps. I am focusing on depth so kept it light at 50kg
    - 3 rounds of split squats with dumbbells 8 reps
    - 3 rounds of jefferson curls
    - lying on the floor refusing to participate in a running and throwing game as i was hot and sweaty and was about to do a hour long handstand class

Then handstand class with the focus on lots and lots of balance work.

Then because it was a glorious antipodean spring day went for a 7km walk along the beach. My legs are very tired this evening.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My usual 42 minute walk. This afternoon I start incorporating elliptical intervals.