You're not good enough..

Options

Replies

• AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm worried I'm not good enough to be a parent. I'm pregnant with my first and I have no *kitten* clue what I'm doing. My anxiety is kicking in and I'm terrified I'm going to be awful at it. My mom has said many times she thinks she's a bad mom and didn't want kids and my sister is a horribly selfish parent to her son so what if it's genetic and I'm exactly like them?

I couldn’t believe they let me leave the hospital with my baby.

Even good parents feel the way you describe fairly often. And even good parents *kitten* up. And your kids will definitely blame you for something no matter what you do.

If I could do the baby time over again, I’d get/accept help so I could sleep more, I’d cuddle and look my babies in the eyes and smile a lot more, and I’d communicate my needs more clearly and forcefully to my partner.

Great advice
  • pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    I'm worried I'm not good enough to be a parent. I'm pregnant with my first and I have no *kitten* clue what I'm doing. My anxiety is kicking in and I'm terrified I'm going to be awful at it. My mom has said many times she thinks she's a bad mom and didn't want kids and my sister is a horribly selfish parent to her son so what if it's genetic and I'm exactly like them?

I have 4 and I think the best advice is to just spend time with them. It is hard to remember but my kids are happiest when I make sure my phone is away, TV is off and I am just wrestling or running around with them. You got this. Have fun with it! Good luck

until they get older and your very presence is either an embarrassment or enough to start an argument over basically anything
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    g2brijn3ha8k.jpeg
    Nope I’m not good enough, I’m over weight still and have along way to go. According to current standard I’m an ugly pos

FWIW to me you look very pretty, young & sorta tough in a good way.
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    g2brijn3ha8k.jpeg
    Nope I’m not good enough, I’m over weight still and have along way to go. According to current standard I’m an ugly pos

i'm the one who disagreed on this. you have beautiful hair and gorgeous skin. be gentle and kind to yourself. <3
  • kindalikevelma
    kindalikevelma Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    More days than not.
  • Pandemonium_
    Pandemonium_ Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I like to pretend I'm John Snow. But deep down, I know I'm not. Maybe parts of him, but then I wonder: How much Ramsey Bolton? And really, I'm good with not being John Snow. Still coming to terms with my inner Bolton though. Its going to take time.
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    g2brijn3ha8k.jpeg

Couldn't be further from the truth. Screw "standards". You look great.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I like to pretend I'm John Snow. But deep down, I know I'm not. Maybe parts of him, but then I wonder: How much Ramsey Bolton? And really, I'm good with not being John Snow. Still coming to terms with my inner Bolton though. Its going to take time.

Flaying is a hard limit
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I feel like "I'm good enough", just not 'lucky enough' or 'fortunate enough' or 'ambitious enough' or 'driven enough' or 'school smart enough', or 'stable enough', or 'social enough'
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I feel like "I'm good enough", just not 'lucky enough' or 'fortunate enough' or 'ambitious enough' or 'driven enough' or 'school smart enough', or 'stable enough', or 'social enough'

Yup. All of these. My entire life. A neverending cycle.
  • Pandemonium_
    Pandemonium_ Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

Flaying is a hard limit

I've never tried it. Withholding judgement.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options

Flaying is a hard limit

I've never tried it. Withholding judgement.

🤦‍♀️
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I've had social phobia, which is a poorly named anxiety disorder where you avoid social activities that other people can take part in. As a result, I never had a girlfriend until the age of 24. As a man, that had a significant affect on me. I wondered why I couldn't get a girlfriend, I hadn't connected the dots from anxiety to never dated.

I always had two sayings in my head, that I wasn't good enough to get a girlfriend, and that I didn't deserve love. That took a long time to get those thoughts out of my head, maybe 10-15 years
  • Plague_Doktor
    Plague_Doktor Posts: 44 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @threewins wrote: »
    I've had social phobia, which is a poorly named anxiety disorder where you avoid social activities that other people can take part in. As a result, I never had a girlfriend until the age of 24. As a man, that had a significant affect on me. I wondered why I couldn't get a girlfriend, I hadn't connected the dots from anxiety to never dated.

I always had two sayings in my head, that I wasn't good enough to get a girlfriend, and that I didn't deserve love. That took a long time to get those thoughts out of my head, maybe 10-15 years

I hugged this
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    I am that friend that checks in on everyone, but when I go silent for a month no one reaches out. I am not a good enough friend. That is precisely why I think friends are overrated.

@pizzamyheart you deserve to buy yourself something nice. Even if you aren't at your "ideal" weight.

@LyndaBSS just because you don't look like other woman doesn't mean you aren't beautiful!!

@J_NY_Z I am sorry that you feel that way! I don't know you, but I bet you have a lot to offer as a friend!!

@your_future_ex_wife There are plenty of successful people that didn't even start College. Just keep plugging away, your chance will come!!!

You are all good enough.....you're more than enough!!!!

I feel this pretty hard. This has always been me, too...and sometimes I just stop talking to people to see if they'll reach out, and every time I lose friends that way it hurts. I've always been the person who reaches out.

I guess, on the flip-side, when people have reached out to me to check in (a few of you folks are on here and you know who you are) I'm so appreciative I probably gush about it to a point of making them uncomfortable. Oops. But I don't care, it means a lot.

I lost my best friend of over a decade because of this. I was accused of "never being around" when in fact, the opposite was true. If anything, he never reached out to me except when something was wrong. Never once was I checked in on, even when he knew I was isolated and alone and going through a really bad time. Less close friends checked up on me more than he did.

And in the end, he accused me of being a fair weather friend and flipped out on me, only to abandon me even though he said he never would.

All I've learned is that people can't be trusted, so everyone is held at arm's length or further now.
  • Reckoner68
    Options
    I am that friend that checks in on everyone, but when I go silent for a month no one reaches out. I am not a good enough friend. That is precisely why I think friends are overrated.

@pizzamyheart you deserve to buy yourself something nice. Even if you aren't at your "ideal" weight.

@LyndaBSS just because you don't look like other woman doesn't mean you aren't beautiful!!

@J_NY_Z I am sorry that you feel that way! I don't know you, but I bet you have a lot to offer as a friend!!

@your_future_ex_wife There are plenty of successful people that didn't even start College. Just keep plugging away, your chance will come!!!

I feel this pretty hard. This has always been me, too...and sometimes I just stop talking to people to see if they'll reach out, and every time I lose friends that way it hurts. I've always been the person who reaches out.

I guess, on the flip-side, when people have reached out to me to check in (a few of you folks are on here and you know who you are) I'm so appreciative I probably gush about it to a point of making them uncomfortable. Oops. But I don't care, it means a lot.

I lost my best friend of over a decade because of this. I was accused of "never being around" when in fact, the opposite was true. If anything, he never reached out to me except when something was wrong. Never once was I checked in on, even when he knew I was isolated and alone and going through a really bad time. Less close friends checked up on me more than he did.

And in the end, he accused me of being a fair weather friend and flipped out on me, only to abandon me even though he said he never would.

All I've learned is that people can't be trusted, so everyone is held at arm's length or further now.

Seventh grade for me; I don't remember the incident, but I trusted someone at school with a secret and they let it out and I swore that I'd never let myself feel like that again. I can't tell if I don't trust anybody now, or if I just try to hold as much as I can in an open-hand so I don't care if it gets out, but I still remember that day and deciding I'd never let myself get burned like that again.

Since then it's just been me trying to keep in touch with folks and when it hits a point where I feel like I'm the sole-reason communication is alive, I just let it go. No animosity, but I know that people will keep talking to be polite and if they don't want to converse with me, I'm just saving everybody time

It does get lonely tho, sometimes, but <shrugs> such is life
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

Seventh grade for me; I don't remember the incident, but I trusted someone at school with a secret and they let it out and I swore that I'd never let myself feel like that again. I can't tell if I don't trust anybody now, or if I just try to hold as much as I can in an open-hand so I don't care if it gets out, but I still remember that day and deciding I'd never let myself get burned like that again.

Since then it's just been me trying to keep in touch with folks and when it hits a point where I feel like I'm the sole-reason communication is alive, I just let it go. No animosity, but I know that people will keep talking to be polite and if they don't want to converse with me, I'm just saving everybody time

Probably a little bit of both, honestly.

That wasn't the first incident, but it was the most recent and most meaningful. It definitely ended up being a one-sided relationship with me going so far as to drive 12 hours to pick him up, drop him off at a friend's wedding (he was the best man, I was merely a guest).. flew out another time to help him deal with massive depression and help clean up his apartment to pass inspection.. yet I'm a "fair weather" friend. Riiiiiight.

And yes, it gets lonely.. but at least no one can hurt you if you live on an island.
  • Reckoner68
    Options

Probably a little bit of both, honestly.

That wasn't the first incident, but it was the most recent and most meaningful. It definitely ended up being a one-sided relationship with me going so far as to drive 12 hours to pick him up, drop him off at a friend's wedding (he was the best man, I was merely a guest).. flew out another time to help him deal with massive depression and help clean up his apartment to pass inspection.. yet I'm a "fair weather" friend. Riiiiiight.

And yes, it gets lonely.. but at least no one can hurt you if you live on an island.

Heh, nobody else can anyway :P