Weird things you do with food

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Lemon juice and granulated sugar on pancakes

Salsa on eggs

Vegemite, lettuce and mayonnaise sandwiches

Orange juice on my cereal instead of milk

This is how I was brought up to eat pancakes/crepes, and a common topping at creperies..it's delicious!

I love it and never thought it was weird until I went to the USA and everyone freaked out!

Haha.... Perhaps they are the weird ones :)

My European friends freaked out at Fairy Bread. They couldn't understand the amazingness of 100s & 1000s on buttered white bread! :p

Haahaa yeah, no one really gets fairy bread but us.
    I love fairy bread. Sprinkles don't taste the same here in Canada.

What's fairy bread?

White bread, buttered and sprinkled with 100s and 1000s (cake sprinkles).
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Burnt toast (very very burnt) with raw carrot!

Used to love this as a kid, later found out I had a cousin in Scotland who did the same thing, neither of us had got it via a parent. Weird!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    Lemon juice and granulated sugar on pancakes

Salsa on eggs

Vegemite, lettuce and mayonnaise sandwiches

Orange juice on my cereal instead of milk

This is how I was brought up to eat pancakes/crepes, and a common topping at creperies..it's delicious!

I love it and never thought it was weird until I went to the USA and everyone freaked out!

Haha.... Perhaps they are the weird ones :)

My European friends freaked out at Fairy Bread. They couldn't understand the amazingness of 100s & 1000s on buttered white bread! :p

Haahaa yeah, no one really gets fairy bread but us.
    I love fairy bread. Sprinkles don't taste the same here in Canada.

What's fairy bread?

White bread, buttered and sprinkled with 100s and 1000s (cake sprinkles).

This is similar to something we eat in Holland. A typical kids breakfast is bread, butter, and chocolate sprinkles. To celebrate new babies we eat buttered rusks with pink or blue cake sprinkles, depending on gender of the baby.

https://www.iamexpat.nl/lifestyle/lifestyle-news/brief-history-dutch-sprinkles-aka-hagelslag
  • anonuser369
    anonuser369 Posts: 76 Member
    lg013 wrote: »
    I crave salted green apples after workouts

I love salt on chilled grapefruit and green apples. Also pink salt on watermelon. I don't think it is weird at all :)
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    I just eat! Lol
  • sweetnsoftone1
    sweetnsoftone1 Posts: 1 Member
    Before this WOE, I used to like to mix baked beans and potato salad together and make a meal of it.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    another one I used to do as a kid....Baked potato, topped with baked beans and cottage cheese. YUM!
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Omelete with jam and cinnamon.. yum
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 284 Member
    tasty cheese sandwiches with jam (jello)
    steak must be well done.. if I order in a restaurant I say "Steak well done, brown on the outside, brown on the inside, no blood no pink no black please"
    ALL meat must be well done.
    I don't like meat that has been bastardized with any kind of sauce that you marinate with...I want it to taste like meat.
    I hate all deli meat
    Kiwifruit with the skin on
    Eggs can only be boiled,scrambled or poached.. hard like rubber, if I order out I ask for "eggs well done, yolk and whites hard, no slime nothing runny, inside yellow and dry..think rubber eggs please"
    I can't eat without drinking something ie: water..I feel sick after a few bites...my mother is the same.
    I put my toast in the fridge to make sure it is stone cold.
    I like my porridge to still have oat lumps in it.. my mother likes hers smooth as custard...she lives with us and is 90.
    I hate all berries(except if jam ((Jello)) or jelly)
    I don't like lumps in my jam, I avoid the lump bits.
    I don't like smooth yoghurt, I need lumps in it.
    I used to hate all nuts but have learned to like raw almonds and pistachios in small amounts (6)
    I like my vegemite spread on thick.
    I don't like to eat only one texture in a meal...I can do two, but prefer three, I mix the textures on my fork then eat.
    I don't like sweet french toast.. It is savoury with salt and pepper. My SO who is Canadian prefers them sweet with sugar.
    ThaT IS PROBABLY ENOUGH FOR NOW;)
    oops

• babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 284 Member
    I forgot to say, I put hot chilli flakes on all meals.
  • acpgee
    another one I used to do as a kid....Baked potato, topped with baked beans and cottage cheese. YUM!

This is not strange in the UK. They serve this at the cantine at work.
  • acpgee
    I like savoury french toast too. If you count ketchup as a savoury condiment despite the sugar content.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I pull burgers apart and eat each ingredient individually. I remove the topping from the pizza and eat the bottom first them the topping, and I refuse to eat store made sandwiches.
  • MrGuel
    MrGuel Posts: 1 Member
    I like to torta (almost) all of my leftovers.

I'd like to believe that there's 2 types of torta: One is where you put the ingredient/s in an omelette; the other is chopping up the ingredients into small/manageable pieces and then adding eggs into it, until you have a mix of scrambled eggs + what leftover ingredient you used.

Depending on the ingredient used, I typically add 2-3 eggs in it then eat my torta while it's hot!
  • jaelicious
    jaelicious Posts: 2 Member
    As I was dipping my toast with peanut butter in my coffee, I was wondering if anyone else has any weird things they do with food that others would raise an eyebrow at.

Another one for me is for when I eat chicken wings. I CLEAN them. Like to the bone. Crunchy bits and all. I don't always do that around others, as the crunching is a bit... off putting (my mother does it too, and man it's loud).

Almost everything you mentioned is normal for a Caribbean/West Indian person. LOL. Bread (or casava) and PB dipped into hot chocolate/or coffee is great... You’d get scolded for leaving anything on the bones (and no one would flinch if you sucked them dry! LOL)... Dinner foods are what we consider appropriate breakfast foods... You’re not as weird of an eater as you think! 😄

Also, I used to dip fries in milkshakes so the fry/ice cream combo seems normal to me too- but that stems from my American side! Hahaha
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    jaelicious wrote: »
    As I was dipping my toast with peanut butter in my coffee, I was wondering if anyone else has any weird things they do with food that others would raise an eyebrow at.

Another one for me is for when I eat chicken wings. I CLEAN them. Like to the bone. Crunchy bits and all. I don't always do that around others, as the crunching is a bit... off putting (my mother does it too, and man it's loud).

Almost everything you mentioned is normal for a Caribbean/West Indian person. LOL. Bread (or casava) and PB dipped into hot chocolate/or coffee is great... You’d get scolded for leaving anything on the bones (and no one would flinch if you sucked them dry! LOL)... Dinner foods are what we consider appropriate breakfast foods... You’re not as weird of an eater as you think! 😄

Also, I used to dip fries in milkshakes so the fry/ice cream combo seems normal to me too- but that stems from my American side! Hahaha

I do the same with the chicken wings! Sometimes I'm guilty of sucking the marrow out of the bone.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    When I was a kid I would dip my pb+j in milk. Got that from my mom.
  • LivyMarie93
    LivyMarie93 Posts: 134 Member
    I like to put a dab of mayo in stir fried rice. It’s so good
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

That sounds good to me too!

I like a combination of mayo & ketchup with fries or on a sweet potato.

I like white gravy, but prefer to have a little ketchup with it if possible. I put ketchup on green beans. I put ketchup on brown/pinto beans, any type of bean really.

Aside from the above, I actually dislike ketchup (with fries etc).

I like sour cream in almost anything...when my husband makes a very spicy stir fry or curry, I always put sour cream or cottage cheese in it to cool it down and honestly now I prefer it with those things mixed in.

I used to eat cottage cheese on pot pies (the cheap beef or chicken Banquet brand) as a teen. I haven't had that in probably 20 years but it still sounds kind of good and I wouldn't want a pot pie without cottage cheese.

I've started eating toast with coconut or cashew butter, and a fried egg on top. Sort of like a sandwich. For some reason the flavors just work.
  • acpgee

That sounds good to me too!

I like a combination of mayo & ketchup with fries or on a sweet potato.

I like white gravy, but prefer to have a little ketchup with it if possible. I put ketchup on green beans. I put ketchup on brown/pinto beans, any type of bean really.

Aside from the above, I actually dislike ketchup (with fries etc).

I like sour cream in almost anything...when my husband makes a very spicy stir fry or curry, I always put sour cream or cottage cheese in it to cool it down and honestly now I prefer it with those things mixed in.

I used to eat cottage cheese on pot pies (the cheap beef or chicken Banquet brand) as a teen. I haven't had that in probably 20 years but it still sounds kind of good and I wouldn't want a pot pie without cottage cheese.

I've started eating toast with coconut or cashew butter, and a fried egg on top. Sort of like a sandwich. For some reason the flavors just work.

In Holland, everyone eats fries with mayo. Sometimes also with ketchup and peanut satay sauce too. The last combination is known as "patatjes oorlog" or "french fry war".