Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Giving Out Candy on Halloween Adding to the Obesity Problem?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    S'possed to be raw, windy, with a rain/snow mix here on Halloween.
    I guess a lot of kids in my neighborhood will be saved from the obesity crisis after all.
    And I'm going to have a lot of leftover gummi bears.
    Wonder if I can make gummi soup....?

Vodka or tequila gummies are a thing. Yes, they kinda stick together. After the first handful or two, who cares? ;)

Back in with the recipe, because you know you need it:

https://mixthatdrink.com/vodka-gummy-bears/

If you thought I meant alcohol flavored gummies, no: It's actual alcohol-soaked gummies. For grown-ups. ;)

I've tried the tequila ones....hoo boy, that's a gummi that packs a punch.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    One year we ran out of candy, so we had a huge jar of coins (mostly pennies) that we put out. The kids seemed to be ok with that-we didn't get TP'd.
    Kids used to trick-or-treat for Unicef, and carried a little orange box for the coins.

Not sure why it was stopped, but it always seemed like a nice thing to do - thinking about others while loading up with goodies for yourself.

I definitely did that as a child. Small cardboard box for UNICEF, large handsewn witch bag for candy. I was probably 8 at the time. I would be delighted if a kid came to my door with a box for them.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    If I don't have cans of soup, can I give out dry Mr. Noodles? Or how about bouillon cubes? I'm trying to wrap my head around how I can meet expectations in this new world. I might have to stick to my traditional, shut out the lights and pretend I'm not home routine.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    So on top of the snow and then icy rain today, looks like the prediction for tomorrow is 35, wind, and snow, so I'd bet the kids might prefer a nice hot soup to sip on as they continue down my street.

I bought some candy, though. ;-) The old stuff left over from last year will come out if I have more trick or treaters than expected, especially since I don't feel so bad giving it to the older kids who come after official trick or treating is well over. (Nothing against them, though -- until last year I lived in a condo building where we never had trick or treaters, so being in a house on a street where they come is a fun thing for me and I'm happy to give candy to anyone who comes. Probably I'll eventually get so into it I'll be one of those over-enthusiastic adults who opens the door in a scary witch costume with a cauldron beside me full of -- wait for it! -- delicious hot soup.)

We are getting snow right now. About 2" on the ground and it is still snowing. Starting to stick to pavement so the ground is getting cold enough.

I am one of those who greets the kiddos. Last year I was in a witch's costume sitting in a rocking chair on the patio. I actually scared one kid so bad he refused to come get candy (he was an older kid too so I felt it was safe to be scary, unlike the little ones). Will be inside tonight but I have a kind of fun wizard costume. Chili about to go in the crock pot so it will be ready (yes, I have candy too).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    So on top of the snow and then icy rain today, looks like the prediction for tomorrow is 35, wind, and snow, so I'd bet the kids might prefer a nice hot soup to sip on as they continue down my street.

I bought some candy, though. ;-) The old stuff left over from last year will come out if I have more trick or treaters than expected, especially since I don't feel so bad giving it to the older kids who come after official trick or treating is well over. (Nothing against them, though -- until last year I lived in a condo building where we never had trick or treaters, so being in a house on a street where they come is a fun thing for me and I'm happy to give candy to anyone who comes. Probably I'll eventually get so into it I'll be one of those over-enthusiastic adults who opens the door in a scary witch costume with a cauldron beside me full of -- wait for it! -- delicious hot soup.)

We are getting snow right now. About 2" on the ground and it is still snowing. Starting to stick to pavement so the ground is getting cold enough.

I am one of those who greets the kiddos. Last year I was in a witch's costume sitting in a rocking chair on the patio. I actually scared one kid so bad he refused to come get candy (he was an older kid too so I felt it was safe to be scary, unlike the little ones). Will be inside tonight but I have a kind of fun wizard costume. Chili about to go in the crock pot so it will be ready (yes, I have candy too).

It's snowing here too, although it's just above freezing. Supposed to get to just below freezing by tonight and snow much of the day, so we'll see.

Sounds like you have fun Halloweens!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

It's snowing here too, although it's just above freezing. Supposed to get to just below freezing by tonight and snow much of the day, so we'll see.

Yup - hundreds of flights cancelled, but roads really good. Looks like most communities pushed Trick R Treating to Saturday.

I just ordered a new blower:

fh9y3ghxn1fe.png

Just in time!
  • earlnabby

I try. I lived for 15 years in an apartment where we had no trick or treaters. I am in a townhouse condo in a small town so I get some. I can even do a bit of decorating outside.

We are just enough north of you that the temp is hanging around 30°.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    My house was a big hit last night. At least 3 kids said that we were the best house in the neighborhood.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'm still eating individual bags of Cracker Jacks from last year. They're fine but the prizes suck :lol: Anyone want a Halloween sticker?

Is it a seal of ahhhhhh your ok approval? Lol
  • nutmegoreo
    NovusDies wrote: »
    My house was a big hit last night. At least 3 kids said that we were the best house in the neighborhood.

How drunk were they when they arrived?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2019
    Well now I have a 3 lb bag of premium candy and both my husband and I just decided we were getting tired of our weight trending upward and needed to get back to logging strictly and cutting out extras. It was just too cold here last night!

I honestly doubt that one night of pigging out makes a difference to whether or not children become obese, but I can tell you for damn sure that this type 2 diabetic wouldn’t be giving $13 of her money (and that’s on sale half off) to the Mars company if it wasn’t for this tradition. The candy companies are coming out winners in this situation.

There’s a bridge nearby with a homeless encampment and I am thinking of heading over there and giving this stuff away.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

How drunk were they when they arrived?

And were they breathing when they left?
  • earlnabby
    edited November 2019
    I feel like I have to post this on some Halloween thread, and this one has already turned South a few times, so I'll risk putting it here.

Aren't you relieved that there's organic candy corn? Evidently, they couldn't source organic shellac, but fortunately they did find organic carnauba wax. The non-organic carnauba wax is so unhealthy!

What the actual F?

Well, those little Lac beetles will go where they want to so there is no way they can control if they eat organic or not. Got to have more control over your livestock to call it organic. At least they know where the palm trees are for the wax.

• nutmegoreo
    edited November 2019
    I feel like I have to post this on some Halloween thread, and this one has already turned South a few times, so I'll risk putting it here.

Aren't you relieved that there's organic candy corn? Evidently, they couldn't source organic shellac, but fortunately they did find organic carnauba wax. The non-organic carnauba wax is so unhealthy!

v0pxbm3gq7qd.jpg

What the actual F?

It's gotta be healthy, the shelf life is less than a year from now! Not a treat I would want around for the zombie apocalypse, but until then.

(ETA: Eh, I still wouldn't want them, but we can feed them to the drunk children that show up at @NovusDies' house.)