Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    durhammfp wrote: »
    @adampeart I like Hal Higdon plans a lot. You can download them for free and there are some that have you running 4 days a week. A lot of other plans have 5 days a week but that doesn't always fit my schedule.

@kgirlhart Are these plans in the form of an app? Or are they just paper schedules? I'm looking to replace my Active C25K app and I really like just doing what I'm told to do when I'm told to do it, without having to think of it too much.

I guess what I might need at some point is a watch that allows me to set my own intervals, and that has some bluetooth connectivity so that it can tell my earphones when I should start and stop running.

Actually I'd really like a watch that can do that, as well as connect to WiFi so I can download apps and check my email etc. I have never had a smartwatch before and I am getting tired of carrying around my phone when I run.

What is the difference between an Android smartwatch that basically replaces most of the functions of an Android phone versus a Garmin? People on this thread seem to really like Garmins. What do they do (or not do) that makes them preferable to a generic Apple or Android smartwatch?

As far as I know the Hal Higdon plans don't have an app. I just downloaded it and printed it up and used it as a guideline, tweaking it to fit my goals and training level.

He does have an app, it is not free though so I never looked into it.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    adampeart wrote: »
    @adampeart I like Hal Higdon plans a lot. You can download them for free and there are some that have you running 4 days a week. A lot of other plans have 5 days a week but that doesn't always fit my schedule.

Yer saw them mentioned elsewhere and had a look but my timings aren't going to fit them near the end. I have only 30 mins during the week really and it's getting less with the sun coming up later.

You could also learn the "art" behind writing up training plans if you want, then you can make one that is perfect for you. Check out this book on Amazon:

t3erbskditue.png
    Avialbe on Amazon and else where I am sure.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So Australia is basically on fire, are all our members okay?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

I'm still struggling with improving my pull-ups and pulling strength. My trainer has been bugging me to do a "microdose" at home every day, just 5 reps. And every day I walk past my pull-up bar and ignore it, thinking I'm too sore or tired or whatever.

I do negatives every morning before I shower, if I don’t make them a routine I don’t do them. I’m not exactly improving but at least it keeps me from going backwards!

I have been looking at another challenge on MFP for pullups. I really need to work on this but I do not know where to start... that is, I do not understand what a "negative" is. Do any of you know of a video online somewhere that clearly illustrates how to do a negative? I need to see someone do this. Thanks!

I can post a video tomorrow night if i remember.
    Basically, jump or take a chair and get into a "final" pull up position and slowly lower yourself down

I forgot tonight. I'll do it tomorrow night.

Grrr icy night.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options

I'm still struggling with improving my pull-ups and pulling strength. My trainer has been bugging me to do a "microdose" at home every day, just 5 reps. And every day I walk past my pull-up bar and ignore it, thinking I'm too sore or tired or whatever.

I do negatives every morning before I shower, if I don’t make them a routine I don’t do them. I’m not exactly improving but at least it keeps me from going backwards!

I have been looking at another challenge on MFP for pullups. I really need to work on this but I do not know where to start... that is, I do not understand what a "negative" is. Do any of you know of a video online somewhere that clearly illustrates how to do a negative? I need to see someone do this. Thanks!

I can post a video tomorrow night if i remember.
    Basically, jump or take a chair and get into a "final" pull up position and slowly lower yourself down

I forgot tonight. I'll do it tomorrow night.

Grrr icy night.

Thanks for thinking of me. Also, stay warm out there.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between an Android smartwatch that basically replaces most of the functions of an Android phone versus a Garmin? People on this thread seem to really like Garmins. What do they do (or not do) that makes them preferable to a generic Apple or Android smartwatch?

My Garmin is a completely self-contained unit. It CAN be used with a phone, but even if you do not own a phone it can do 100% of what it does. Android and Apple watches all depend on the phone in varying degrees.
    So it comes down to what do you want. Do you want a second screen for your phone, or do you want a dedicated device that nails activity tracking and does most of what you need from a smartwatch? I am pretty deep in Apple Gear, and love the ecosystem, but dumped my Apple Watch for my Garmin 935 simply because the Garmin did all the things I cared about on the Apple watch, but for sports tracking was far more accurate, and far better battery life. I can not SEND a text, email, or make a call from it, but I can read texts, deny/accept incoming calls, and in general read all notifications. That is plenty for me.
    I did not know this about the mainstream watches being tethered to their phones. Garmin sounds like a much more useful watch to have.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

So, practical day to day differences...

My Garmin 935 goes WEEKS without needing a charge. My Apple watch needed to be plugged in every day. Some times in 1/2 a day.

My Garmin 935 can record a full 24 hours of running with full GPS/HR/etc. My Apple Watch could not survive more than a few hours. This meant I could not use it for longer races or long runs during training.

My Garmin is a completely self-contained unit. It CAN be used with a phone, but even if you do not own a phone it can do 100% of what it does. Andriod and Apple watches all depend on the phone in varying degrees.

Smartwatches tend to really just be a second screen for your phone and tend to depend on far less accurate GPS sensors, but offer far better control over the phone.

So it comes down to what do you want. Do you want a second screen for your phone, or do you want a dedicated device that nails activity tracking and does most of what you need from a smartwatch? I am pretty deep in Apple Gear, and love the ecosystem, but dumped my Apple Watch for my Garmin 935 simply because the Garmin did all the things I cared about on the Apple watch, but for sports tracking was far more accurate, and far better battery life. I can not SEND a text, email, or make a call from it, but I can read texts, deny/accept incoming calls, and in general read all notifications. That is plenty for me.

So, as I said it comes down to what you want from the hardware. Most devices this day can interface with any app (My Garmin reports to Garmin Connect, MFP, Strava, Final Surge, AND Run Keeper. Every run goes out to all of them for different reasons). I can also pair other sensors like my foot pod to the Garmin.

I also like that my Garmin uses a transflective display that can easily be read even in the brightest of lights. Most smartwatches have to ramp up battery usage to make that attempt. I also like that my Garmin is NOT a touch screen, though they do make touch screen models.

Picking a device in this category is very personal. For me, battery life and accuracy beat out all other features. For you, different things might matter more.

When I was debating my Smart/Running Watch purchase, I did my own research, narrowed it down, then listened/watched (snort, see what I did there?) what other, more experienced runners here had to say. Have to say, @PastorVincent was one of those who swayed me to a Garmin 935.

Over 2 years later, and I'm NOT sorry! Just this week I found new features on it I wasn't even aware of! The only issue I've had with it was the clasp to hold the strap down broke off. For now I use a hair elastic. Eventually I'll get a band replacement, but so far, I'm a Garmin (935) Gal!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on completing the C25K programme @durhammfp and you have the 5k in the bag after this as well. I don't who the expect to do 5k in the time limit after this programme!

On the apple watches there are two varieties, cellular and non-cellular. Non-cellular are tied to a phone, cellular act independently. As an apple watch owner they are definitely limited and, as @PastorVincent said, they need charging every day. I think their max monitoring life is about a marathon though if you switch of the HRM they last longer, but isn't the point that it gives you an HRM?

I'm impressed by everyone getting out on the cold. This morning was 38 degrees F and 100% humidity and that is about as cold as I would want to be.