For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    bbgz9ga30h6c.jpeg

These are from MY tree!! Not my dads... mine! My first batch!!

@purplefizzy 😯 Wow!!!!!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I love pea shoots! Pretty good protein-wise. Last time I bought them was from an Asian market, didn't do anything fancy with them, just added to salads.

Super weird (for me) that I love them but didn’t know they were protein-heavy for veg. Awesome!

Me neither! Our shops here in the U.K. have only been selling pea shoots for a couple of years and I suspect I am single-handedly keeping the demand high! Unbelievable flavour and now there’s even more reason to eat them! 😋
  • violetcreams
    violetcreams Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    3axy2sthlsmj.jpeg

A very lovely lunch. Left over ottelenghi stuffed courgette with a kohlrabi and apple salad with parsley and a truffle mustard vinegrette. So delicious

This is one of my FAVES and the only reason I have tamarind paste in my cupboard!!
    3axy2sthlsmj.jpeg

A very lovely lunch. Left over ottelenghi stuffed courgette with a kohlrabi and apple salad with parsley and a truffle mustard vinegrette. So delicious

This is one of my FAVES and the only reason I have tamarind paste in my cupboard!!

I saw it on this forum and knew I had to try it!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,561 Member
    Options
    bbgz9ga30h6c.jpeg

Beautiful! I just bought one to put in my Thanksgiving salad and haven't had one in years.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    bbgz9ga30h6c.jpeg

Beautiful! I just bought one to put in my Thanksgiving salad and haven't had one in years.

How do you deal with the seeds in the salad? I only eat the poms by themselves, spitting out the seeds.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,608 Member
    Options
    I love pea shoots! Pretty good protein-wise. Last time I bought them was from an Asian market, didn't do anything fancy with them, just added to salads.

Super weird (for me) that I love them but didn’t know they were protein-heavy for veg. Awesome!

Me neither! Our shops here in the U.K. have only been selling pea shoots for a couple of years and I suspect I am single-handedly keeping the demand high! Unbelievable flavour and now there’s even more reason to eat them! 😋

You can grow your own quite easily from marrow fat whole dried peas sold for cooking. In the winter you can even do them indoors on a window sill. I've grown them successfully other years but my current batch is looking pathetic probably because I planted them too late outside on the balcony when the weather was already too cold.

https://verticalveg.org.uk/how-to-grow-pea-shoots/
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

You can grow your own quite easily from marrow fat whole dried peas sold for cooking. In the winter you can even do them indoors on a window sill. I've grown them successfully other years but my current batch is looking pathetic probably because I planted them too late outside on the balcony when the weather was already too cold.

Oh my! I’ve not even thought about those dried marrowfat peas sold in boxes since I was a child and my mum had a battered box of them in the cupboard with her flour! It was what she used as baking beans for blind baking pie shells! I still remember the little tablet of drying agent (or maybe it was bicarbonate to keep them green while cooking?) wrapped in a little parcel of muslin that came in the box!

I’m very tempted to buy a box (if they’re still sold in my local supermarkets) and have a go at growing some on the kitchen sill.

By the way - I have an old peanut butter jar with dried cannellini beans which I keep as baking beans, so the tradition continues!
  • acpgee
    Options
    These are fava bean shoots I had in August that cropped three times. Please excuse dirty windows. The current pea shoot crop looks pathetic in comparison. I might try a tray indoors on a window sill.
    d3pu7qfb6s6g.jpeg

• acpgee
    Options
    Cleaner windows but pathetic pea shoot crop.
    2i2j229stjhu.jpeg
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Options
    Unfortunately I’ve just come back from Sainsbury’s and no joy with the dried peas! I’ll keep it in mind as I’m out and about though, see whether anyone carries the old fashioned dried pea!

Does it work with other dried pulses? Such as Aduki, maybe? I might try a dish with cotton wool or kitchen roll dampened to see what sprouts (or not!)
  • acpgee
    Options
    Unfortunately I’ve just come back from Sainsbury’s and no joy with the dried peas! I’ll keep it in mind as I’m out and about though, see whether anyone carries the old fashioned dried pea!

Does it work with other dried pulses? Such as Aduki, maybe? I might try a dish with cotton wool or kitchen roll dampened to see what sprouts (or not!)

I found the dried marrow fat green peas at a large Tesco branch. I've done this with fava beans in the summer too. Haven't tried other dried pulses. I did prefer the sweetness of the pea shoots to the beaniness of the fava shoots.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that corn shoots grown from popcorn kernels make nice eating. In the video at the bottom of the link they suggest finding your dried peas at health food stores.

• BarbaraHelen2013
    Options
    Ahh I’ll give Tesco a go next time I go that way. Thanks!

In the meantime I’m going to do some experimenting with the large selection of dried pulses in my kitchen! 🤔
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Cleaner windows but pathetic pea shoot crop.
    2i2j229stjhu.jpeg

At least they don’t steal the thunder from the Gherkin anymore - hehe 😉

• acpgee
    Options
    Roll your own California hand rolls. Veg was pickled turnip, cucumber, chive, avocado. Protein was Japanese omelet, surimi sticks, poached prawns. Condiments were kewpie mayo, a tube of prepared wasabi, yamasa and kikkoman soy.
    db54ioz5wwnh.jpeg

• Katmary71
    Options
    What are your produce plans for Thanksgiving? I'm bringing roasted vegetables (beet, turnip, delicata squash, onion, mushrooms, garlic, 3 colored carrots, brussel sprouts) with balsamic and olive oil (still deciding on spices) and a salad with pear, pomegranate seeds, feta, almonds, and maybe dried cranberries with a vinaigrette. I'm nowhere near as fancy or experienced of a cook as all of you so I'm curious what you're planning!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    bbgz9ga30h6c.jpeg

How do you deal with the seeds in the salad? I only eat the poms by themselves, spitting out the seeds.

I'm confused. You don't eat the seeds? What do you eat from the pomegranate, I thought the seeds were the only edible part?
  • Katmary71
    Options
    These are fava bean shoots I had in August that cropped three times. Please excuse dirty windows. The current pea shoot crop looks pathetic in comparison. I might try a tray indoors on a window sill.
    d3pu7qfb6s6g.jpeg

You can grow them inside without much light? I'm guessing I'd be able to grow a tray on my deck though they wouldn't get much sun over winter. How much sun is required? Most of my herbs overwinter so perhaps these would do well too. I'm in CA (9b).