Thanksgiving: What are you bringing to the table?

Options

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I'm going to try pickled grapes for the relish dish, based on a recommendation from @estherdragonbat.

And pecan pie...

ti9fi51obb5y.jpg

Yes, I am dredging up the first post from the thread because I MADE PICKLED GRAPES.

THEY ARE AMAZING.

That is all.

fun fact: i hate grapes lol

If you are at all open to trying a grape, these are excellent grapes. If not, I also pickled some pineapple guava.

Also hate pineapple... and guava! HAHA.

Fortunately it’s neither pineapple nor guava; it’s a fruit called feijoa. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feijoa

hmmm.. what's the flavor profile like??
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try pickled grapes for the relish dish, based on a recommendation from @estherdragonbat.

And pecan pie...

ti9fi51obb5y.jpg

Yes, I am dredging up the first post from the thread because I MADE PICKLED GRAPES.

THEY ARE AMAZING.

That is all.

If you are at all open to trying a grape, these are excellent grapes. If not, I also pickled some pineapple guava.

Also hate pineapple... and guava! HAHA.

Fortunately it’s neither pineapple nor guava; it’s a fruit called feijoa. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feijoa

hmmm.. what's the flavor profile like??

The inside of the fruit is very mild and slightly sweet. The peel is a little sour.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options

And pecan pie...

ti9fi51obb5y.jpg

THEY ARE AMAZING.

That is all.

I particularly like chevre/toasted pecan covered grapes
  • apullum
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

And pecan pie...

ti9fi51obb5y.jpg

THEY ARE AMAZING.

That is all.

I may add my pickled grapes to my kale, apple, and candied pecan salad for Thanksgiving. A bit of chèvre on top of that would be nice.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the deep fryer to mom and dad's to deep fry the Turkey.
  • pancakerunner
    Options

And pecan pie...

ti9fi51obb5y.jpg

THEY ARE AMAZING.

That is all.

I may add my pickled grapes to my kale, apple, and candied pecan salad for Thanksgiving. A bit of chèvre on top of that would be nice.

ooo with a nice vinaigrette... yes
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ah, I can't forget to bring a couple of tubs of Cool Whip Extra Creamy to go with my homemade pies. My adult kids will groan, but my grandchildren will dive in. I love the stuff.
  • apullum
    Options

And pecan pie...

ti9fi51obb5y.jpg

THEY ARE AMAZING.

That is all.

ooo with a nice vinaigrette... yes

I picked up some cranberry chevre at Trader Joe's today and it might be going on my salad.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Just did a test run on what I’m bringing to thanksgiving. Home made Boursin Cheese scalloped potatoes! Waiting for our steaks to get done on the grill to try them! hakq5ndrk8dl.jpeg

Cheesy scalloped potatoes are my favorite... with fresh chevre. YES
  • apullum
    Options
    Just did a test run on what I’m bringing to thanksgiving. Home made Boursin Cheese scalloped potatoes! Waiting for our steaks to get done on the grill to try them! hakq5ndrk8dl.jpeg

Cheesy scalloped potatoes are my favorite... with fresh chevre. YES

Sensing a theme here.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm taking broccoli, queso, and brownies. Hubs is making jerky.
  • fFinfan66
    fFinfan66 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Kibbles n bits,and my appetite
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Just went to a "friendsgiving" potluck; took a big pan of veggies (several colors of sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, winter squash, pearl onions), pears, and walnuts roasted in a walnut vinaigrette.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Depending on how many family members make the drive, serving anywhere between 20-40 people. I always make a "vegetable" dish. I'm the ONLY person who ever makes something with vegetables! And no one eats it unless I add bacon. The last few years, a big tray of chopped veggies with roasted potatoes, slathered in a homemade mustard dressing and bacon... I think they only go for it because of the potatoes and bacon... so I'll probably do that again this year. Can't complain. I love meat too. I'm not a big fan of traditional Thanksgiving foods (and neither is much of the family), so aside from turkey and ham, we have a BBQ spit going with pig, smoked beef steaks, plenty of rice, cooked fish, raw fish (sashimi), noodles, soups, pies, muffins, butter mochi, breads, pickles and mmmmmmm lots more!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Just got my marching orders so I am bringing dinner rolls and cranberry sauce
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just went to a "friendsgiving" potluck; took a big pan of veggies (several colors of sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, winter squash, pearl onions), pears, and walnuts roasted in a walnut vinaigrette.

Oooh do you happen to have a recipe for that? Sounds wonderful!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Oooh do you happen to have a recipe for that? Sounds wonderful!!

Not really. I just roasted each thing on pans (in suitable-sized cut-up chunks, tossed with olive oil to coat*) at 400-425F until almost done, then gently tossed them with enough vinaigrette to coat. I had pretoasted 2C of walnuts; half went in the vinaigrette recipe, and half on the veggies at this point. I put it all back in the oven on the same flat pans until the light coating of vinaigrette condensed a bit, then transferred to a regular serving dish.

The vinaigrette was basically this recipe:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/walnut-vinaigrette-recipe-1913178.amp

. . . except I used a bit of sweet onion instead of shallots (had onion, but no shallots); all walnut oil, not olive; and added about 1/4C of real maple syrup. The vinaigrette recipe made a lot. Even with a 9x13 cake pan heaped with cooked veggies to take, I have 3/4 of the vinaigrette left.

** The pears were a little different. I put those in to roast last, after the vinaigrette was made, and tossed them with some of it instead of olive oil, because they needed a bit of acid to stop them turning brown (I mean oxidizing, of course they brown a bit in the oven). The vinegar in the vinaigrette accomplished that.

This was not super low calorie.l, but I wanted maximum walnuts, for the vegans in attendance.

It was good, and I'd do it again. I'd also consider a generous add of fresh thyme to the vinaigrette, as a variation.
  • Biggiwig69
    Biggiwig69 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Skipping the holidays this year like the Kranks 😀
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    surfbug808 wrote: »
    Depending on how many family members make the drive, serving anywhere between 20-40 people. I always make a "vegetable" dish. I'm the ONLY person who ever makes something with vegetables! And no one eats it unless I add bacon. The last few years, a big tray of chopped veggies with roasted potatoes, slathered in a homemade mustard dressing and bacon... I think they only go for it because of the potatoes and bacon... so I'll probably do that again this year. Can't complain. I love meat too. I'm not a big fan of traditional Thanksgiving foods (and neither is much of the family), so aside from turkey and ham, we have a BBQ spit going with pig, smoked beef steaks, plenty of rice, cooked fish, raw fish (sashimi), noodles, soups, pies, muffins, butter mochi, breads, pickles and mmmmmmm lots more!

My husband and I learned during Christmas Eve a few years ago that none of my family eat vegetables unless they can cover them in cheese or something else creamy. Thankfully, we happened to have lots of queso.