WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,867 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Yesterday, we held one of our cycling club's feature rides - a 207 kilometre ride with 4,250 metres of climbing (129 miles, 13943.57 feet). I had 4 great volunteers to help me and 14 riders successfully completed the challenge! :):)

But it was a very long day for me ...

-- Got up at 5:30 am and didn't get to bed until midnight.
    -- Drove hundreds of kilometres.
    -- Figured out how to add contacts to my phone ... and then sent & received a massive pile of texts as the volunteers and I communicated. I'm normally a 1-2 text a day person.
    -- Kept one eye on my husband who accompanied me the whole way (I've numbered him among my 4 volunteers). It was a very long day for him too!

We're both tired ... I'm at work today and just dragging ...

Me (wearing lots of layers against the chill) giving last minute instructions to the riders ...

ffujj7mgdcz2.png

Next time I wear the new red top, I'll have a picture taken. :)

Yesterday was the first day of summer ... this is our summer weather ...

"Lower Derwent for Monday: Cloudy. High chance of showers, most likely this afternoon. Snow falling above 600 metres. Possible hail during this afternoon and evening. Winds W/NW 25 to 40 km/h turning SW 30 to 50 km/h in the morning then tending W in the evening. Daytime maximum temperatures between 7 and 15."

And a Severe Weather Warning has been issued for tomorrow (and likely Wednesday too) ...

A cold, strong west to southwesterly airstream will flow across Tasmania during Tuesday, with the strongest winds expected during the afternoon.
    DAMAGING WESTERLY WINDS, averaging 50 to 60 km/h with peak gusts of 90 to 100 km/h, are possible from midday on Tuesday across southern, western and central Tasmania, as well as parts of the east. Winds are expected to ease by early Tuesday evening.

Welcome to a Tasmanian summer!! :anguished:

That said, I actually don't mind when ("when" ... not "if") it is cool, rainy/snowy, and windy at the beginning of December. That's when I decorate for Christmas and I find it hard to decorate when it is hot and sunny. After 42 years in Canada, it just doesn't seem right to decorate for Christmas when it's warm. :)

I've asked my husband to find the Christmas decorations today, and perhaps bring them upstairs (unless they are too heavy). Then tomorrow, I'll likely start decorating.

3 artificial Christmas trees, 3 wreaths, and a few other odds and ends around the place.

Last night after we got home, I ripped a Christmas CD I picked up at the tip shop on Saturday - guitar instrumental Christmas music ... nice to listen to when I'm studying. :)

Machka in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Weighed myself this morning. I gained 2 lbs over the holiday. I can’t believe that the few times I strayed caused a 2lb gain. So proof positive that if you overeat even decent foods, you will gain.

Vince is continuing to decorate. I told him that last year we decided that the one tree should be moved down because it interfered with the table when it was extended, so we moved the tree. He was telling me that it would take ½ hr. It took about 10 minutes to do.

I’m feeling a bit blue right now. I know Denise is going (as usual) to give us a hassle about coming down here for Christmas. She’s going to say how it’s so hard with the baby. We took a 2 DAY trip to see her grandparents with 3 small children, and she can’t take a one day trip with one small child???? I know, I know, I’m getting myself worked up.

Made a pork roast for later in the week and a meatloaf. Then made some sweetpotato muffins for a gal we play mahjongg with. Then I thought I was making Vince a cake but it was a brownie mix so I made him brownies. Did a load of laundry last night then two more today.

Bugglover – I’m very sorry about your friends

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka your DH connecting with/thanking those involved in his survival/recovery must be so meaningful. His gratitude, and progress, are wonderful Christmas presents for him to give them. Hope you know how grateful he is to you, his advocate, caregiver, partner, love!

I think the connection is important for both my husband and the people who have helped him along the way. It fills gaps and answers questions for him because he's missing so much memory, and the doctors, nurses, etc. have thanked us for visiting because they rarely see anyone after the accident. They often deal with the early stages and don't hear the outcome.

And thank you for saying that. :):heart: Yes, he tells me every day how grateful he is.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Pretty much the same as last month ... aside from exercise, this month will include ...

-- work ... I've got several projects I should try to finish or get on top of by the end of the month.
    -- university ... I start my next course on Nov 11. It's a spring/summer course and entirely online so I'm curious how it will go. Later in November, I need to enroll in my course Semester 1 courses.
    -- cycling club ... I have a lot of work to do in this area!!
    -- website ... lots of work to do and start attending Wordpress meetings again.
    -- husband ... becoming more involved with our local brain injury association.
    -- medical ... attending a whole pile of different physio appointments and other medical appointments. There is not a single week without a medical appointment of some sort.
    -- and continuing to organise things at home. I've been working on this for a while now, but especially since I wrote my exam on Tuesday!!

Physical - Exercise, Eating, Sleeping -- exercise every day or just about. Eating ... could be better. Sleeping ... not bad now that I've got my cocoon of silence. :)
    Work -- working on instructions these days, but I see emails starting to come in about other projects. They'll be for next week, I think.
    Uni -- I've downloaded the initial information for my new course. Will need to acquire a textbook. And I've enrolled in the remaining courses for my Master's degree.
    Cycling Club -- I'm focusing on this right now. Several things to do!!
    Website -- must look at it one evening this week. I've got a Wordpress meeting on Saturday.
    Husband -- we're going to a Brain Injury forum next Monday. Plus his BPPV flared up again this week, so we've had that treated. If you are having trouble with dizziness and balance, this is a great site with lots of information: https://vestibular.org/
    Medical/Health -- I have a complete physical booked for next Friday, but had to go into a Dr early because of the spider bite. It is starting to fade a little, I think, but the medication makes me a bit nauseated. I have several other things I need to book - probably next most important is dental for my broken tooth.
    Organisation -- first the cycling club stuff ... then I'll have to wade into more organisation stuff.
    Recreation -- exercise, entertainment (symphony, plays), and photography are usually my recreation, but I'm starting to think ahead to time off over Christmas and travel.

Physical - Exercise, Eating, Sleeping -- Need to start exercising more now that I'm almost recovered from spider bite and medication.
    Work -- still working on instructions these days, but I see emails starting to come in about other projects. They'll be for next week, I think.
    Uni -- Will be doing a lot of reading this weekend.
    Cycling Club -- I'm focusing on this right now. Several things to do!! I made some good progress on the website last night which I was really pleased about! :) But most urgently: We've got another cycling event on the weekend which we're hosting ... tomorrow! I went shopping at lunch for it.
    Website -- must look at it one evening this week. I've got a Wordpress meeting next Saturday (1 week).
    Husband -- went to a Brain Injury forum last Monday which was quite interesting ... projects coming soon.
    Medical/Health -- Complete physical today.
    BP is a bit high. Will be tracking it over next couple weeks. Had ECG - good. Will have heart ultrasound soon.
    Got measles vax. I am in the age group that only had 1 vax but 2 are needed. I may have had measles in 2016, but just in case I didn't, I want the vax!!
    Booked appt for shingles vax.
    Dentist next week.
    Organisation -- first the cycling club stuff ... then I'll have to wade into more organisation stuff.
    Recreation -- exercise, entertainment (symphony, plays), and photography are usually my recreation, but I'm starting to think ahead to time off over Christmas and travel.

Physical - Exercise, Eating, Sleeping -- Walking more + lifting some weights. It's sleeveless season shortly and I'd like my arms to have some muscle tone.
    Work -- Finishing up instructions, starting to get into projects. I've got 4 projects before the end of December
    Uni -- Much reading + need to start first assignment.
    Cycling Club -- I'm focusing on this right now. Several things to do!! Website + prep for December 1 event.
    My Personal Website -- must look at it one evening this week. I've got a Wordpress meeting next Saturday.
    Husband -- always a never-ending stream of medical appointments + some projects with 2 or 3 different organisations.
    Medical/Health -- Tracking BP. At home, it's OK. Heart ultrasound on Monday.
    Booked appt for shingles vax, second measles vax, and mole biopsy.
    Dentist on Friday.
    Organisation -- first the cycling club stuff ... then I'll have to wade into more organisation stuff, but kind of picking away at it.
    Recreation -- exercise, entertainment (symphony, plays), and photography are usually my recreation, but I'm starting to think ahead to time off over Christmas and travel. I'm off for 16 days and we'll go away for a few of them. I've booked peace and quiet!! I hope! :) Hopefully there will be some beach time too, both at home (we live close to a beach) and away ... and cycling time!! It would be fabulous to be able to cycle and/or run/walk every day during those 16 days!!!

Physical - Exercise, Eating, Sleeping -- Trying to fit it all in. So tired.
    Work -- And now all the projects begin + a couple extra I hadn't anticipated. Four projects due tomorrow!
    Uni -- Much reading + need to start first assignment ASAP.
    Cycling Club -- Several things to do!! Most importantly right now, we've got a big event on Dec 1 which I'm organising. My stomach tightens.
    My Personal Website -- I have started working on this. I'd post it here, but not sure if I can: machka . net That was a bit of fun.
    Husband -- Never-ending stream of medical appointments + projects with 2 or 3 different organisations. **I actually asked for one of them to reschedule!!** I don't usually do that but when they wanted me to take an hour or so out of my day tomorrow, when I've got 4 work projects due ... I just couldn't! :astonished: It actually felt good to ask them if we could reschedule! Small victory. :)
    Medical/Health -- Had heart ultrasound on Monday. Watching BP.
    Booked appt for shingles vax, second measles vax, and mole biopsy.
    Need to see chiropractor.
    Organisation -- Can't do much of this till closer to Christmas.
    Recreation -- Not much of this until Christmas.

Feeling really stressed this week.
    gkjez7aaf0qr.png

Pretty much the same as last month ... aside from exercise, this month will include ...

Physical - Exercise, Eating, Sleeping -- Trying to fit it all in. So tired. And yes, I need a new pillow. I sleep on my right side and my right arm is killing me.

Work -- Lots of work projects until Christmas.

Uni -- Much reading + need to complete first assignment ASAP. That's my main focus outside of work this week.

Cycling Club -- I have a few things to do to wrap up our event on Dec 1, and a national committee meeting next week, but then I've got a bit of a break from this till January.

My Personal Website -- I have started working on this. I'd post it here, but not sure if I can: machka . net That was a bit of fun.

Husband -- Never-ending stream of medical appointments + projects with 2 or 3 different organisations.

Medical/Health -- Booked appt for shingles vax, second measles vax, and mole biopsy. Need to see chiropractor about my right arm.

Organisation -- Can't do much of this till closer to Christmas.

Recreation -- Not much of this until Christmas ... unless you count Christmas decorating!

Challenges -- I've joined 3 challenges in the Challenges forum. :)
    If challenges appeal to you, don't forget about MFP's Challenges subforum:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

Machka in Oz
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking + a bit of rowing)
    Mar-15 … 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    Apr-15 … 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May-15 … 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    Jun-15 … 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-15 … 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug-15 … 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep-15 … 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct-15 … 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov-15 … 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec-15 … 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan-16 … 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb-16 … 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    Mar-16 … 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    Apr-16 … 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May-16 … 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    Jun-16 … 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    Jul-16 … 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug-16 … 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep-16 … 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct-16 … 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov-16 … 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec-16 … 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan-17 … 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb-17 … 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar-17 … 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr-17 … 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May-17 … 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    Jun-17 … 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-17 … 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    Aug-17 … 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min
    Sep-17 … 455.5 km (283 miles) = 41 hours 25 min
    Oct-17 … 647.1 km (402.1 miles) = 57 hours 19 min
    Nov-17 … 427.0 km (265.3 miles) = 50 hours 4 min
    Dec-17 … 553.5 km (343.9 miles) = 52 hours 12 min
    Jan-18 … 590.2 km (366.7 miles) = 57 hours 49 min
    Feb-18 … 826.9 km (513.8 miles) = 57 hours 35 min
    Mar-18 … 582.01 km (361.6 miles) = 50 hours 11 min
    Apr-18 … 176.23 km (109.5 miles) = 29 hours 47 min
    May -18 … 167.6 km (104.1 miles) = 29 hours 08 min
    June-18 … 349.9 km (217.4 miles) = 36 hours 58 minutes
    July-18 ... 324.2 km (201.5 miles) = 24 hours 26 minutes
    Aug-18 ... 210.1 km (130.6 miles) = 25 hours 59 minutes
    Sep-18 ... 261.7 km (162.6 miles) = 25 hours 11 minutes
    Oct-18 ... 230.8 km (143.4 miles) = 30 hours 15 minutes
    Nov-18 ... 216.8 km (134.7 miles) = 30 hours 3 minutes
    Dec-18 ... 285.2 km (177.2 miles) = 37 hours 49 minutes
    Jan-19 ... 241.6 km (150.1 miles) = 27 hours 2 minutes
    Feb-19 ... 175.5 km (109 miles) = 19 hours 8 minutes
    Mar-19 ... 170.3 km (105.8 miles) = 28 hours 21 minutes
    Apr-19 ... 160.3 km (99.6 miles) = 25 hours 4 minutes
    May-19 ... 164.0 km (101.9 miles) = 29 hours 10 minutes
    Jun-19 ... 246.2 km (153 miles) = 25 hours 40 minutes
    Jul-19 ... 217.3 km (135.0 miles) = 33 hours 45 minutes
    Aug-19 ... 162.5 km (100.9 miles) = 28 hours 4 minutes
    Sep-19 ... 136.0 km (84.5 miles) = 23 hours 10 minutes
    Oct-19 ... 196.5 km (122.1 miles) = 31 hours 27 minutes
    Nov-19 ... 155.5 km (96.6 miles) = 25 hours 01 minutes
    Goal: More than November!!

Sunday, 1 December 2019 … 0.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 2 December 2019 … 1.6 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 6 flights of stairs

2019 Monthly December
    Walking Distance (km): 1.6
    Walking Time (min): 20.0
    Cycling Distance (km): 0.0
    Cycling Time (min): 0.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Number: 6.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Time (min): 4.8
    Rowing Distance (km): 0.0
    Rowing Time (min): 0.0
    Other Distance: 0.0
    Other Time: 0.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 1.6
    Total Distance (miles): 1.0
    Total Time (min): 24.8
    Total Time (hr): 0:24:48

Slow start!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,087 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @bugglover So sorry to hear of the trials in your life. It's not surprising that you needed time to get back on an even keel. Just take it one day at a time.

Machka: I thought I was busy until I joined this group. Not surprised that you are tired. You accomplish so much every single day.
    Ginny: 😑 UTIs!!! The bane of a woman's life! (One of the many) (((hugs)))

🎄🤶 Gratitude for Christmas 🎅🏻🎄
    #1, 15 Nov: Scents: loved the smell of the roses I put into my Floral arrangement
    #2, 16 Nov:Technology: Glad that I had my car and didn’t have to stand in the cold waiting for a bus
    #3, 17 Nov: Colour: the colour of the beautiful sunset as I walked home in the late afternoon
    z8iz97lle1ip.jpg
    #4, 18 Nov: Food: Fresh produce form my own garden ..... or ....... Chocolate! 🍫 My ultimate comfort food.
    #5, 19 Nov: Sound: I'm grateful for the sound of DH moving about downstairs. It's very comforting.
    #6, 20 Nov: In Nature: I love the view of the night sky from my bedroom window on clear nights.
    #7, 21 Nov: Memory: This triggered a veritable avalanche of memories of my life, the happy moments crowding out the less pleasant ones. So... the memory I am most grateful for is my own selective memory, which chooses to focus on the positives, and reframe the negatives as learning experiences.
    #8, 22 Nov: Book: "Unlimited Power" by Tony Robbins. This book was a revelation to me and showed me that I was in charge of my life. It was pretty scary at first to accept responsibility for all my actions and decisions. It was no longer possible for me to blame others or make excuses. But it was such a positive turning point in my life. I revisit it often.
    #9, 23 Nov - Place: the place I am most grateful for is the quiet place in my head where I go when I meditate.
    #10, 24 Nov - Taste: Today grandson had made an experimental mulled wine drizzle cake. I was grateful that it tasted so good, (not all of his experiments turn out so well 😂) Fortunately, I always hold calories for my Sunday visit, so was able to fully enjoy his delightful concoction (NB: lemon drizzle cake is one of my favourites)
    #11, 25 Nov - Holiday: I love my annual week's family holiday on the West coast of Ireland with our DED and the grands. This year was our 24th year of these holidays. We started them with my DMiL when our granddaughter was just 8 months old. I am grateful that all 3 grands still want to come on these holidays with us.
    #12, 25 Nov, Texture: I love the feel of fresh soft fluffy towels after my shower.
    #13, 26 Nov, Abilities: I treasure my ability to be adaptable, and look for the positive in situations.
    #14, 27 Nov, Sight: I appreciate the sight of my husband bringing my tea in bed each morning. It means I can take my time waking up.
    #15, 28 Nov, Season: All the season's have their good points' but the spring is my favourite because it heralds the end of winter and the lengthening of daylight hours.
    #16, 29 Nov: I'm grateful that bones are strong. I have been very fortunate in that I have never had a broken bone. Long may that continue.
    #17, 30 Nov, Knowledge: I'm grateful the self-knowledge I have gained on this health and fitness journey. Now all I have to do is apply it! 😂
    #18, 1 Dec, Piece of art: Not sure why but found this one difficult. Settled on this. It a fire screen that my Nana embroidered. It sat in front of the fire in her sitting room. I rescued it when my aunt was about to throw it away after redecorating her apartment after my uncle had been taken into residential care with Alzheimer's. It means more to me than all the fancy paintings in the world.
    #19, 2 Dec, Touch: This morning I am so grateful for DH's hand on my shoulder when he woke me with my morning cuppa. He is the wind beneath my wings. In light of the two bereavement last weekend, I am especially conscious of the fact that many of my contemporaries don't have that luxury.

Weather is relatively milder for a few days at least. (Still Above freezing) and dryer this morning. I'm out most of the day. Creative Writing this morning and Monday Painters this afternoon.

Will look out the Christmas decorations later this week. In the meantime .....
    8qnqo9wb6r93.jpg

☘️ Terri
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Day 18 - December 2, 2019
    I am grateful for all art. Honestly, this is a tough one for me as I appreciate all mediums but cannot say I have a favorite that speaks to me. My favorite artist would probably be Ansel Adams. His black and white photography always moves me.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Lisa ,just beautiful.. you have been a busy bee
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    lisa love the quilts, fantastic gifts for the grandkids <3

Our ice/snow storm means I’m home today (teachers love snow days more than students methinks). So on the to do list, walk extra in the treadmill and make soup with my turkey broth.

Stay safe and cozy everyone.

NYKAREN
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Julie from Texas ~ Welcome to a great group of ladies!

Lisa ~ Love the quilts.

Carol in GA