WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Rebecca, love, love, love Athena and Santa picture. I think its the BEST !!

Karen in VA I love Lilliana's name. The picture is beautiful of her and Mommy. Also many thanks, glad I'm not alone in my decorating disasters :)<3

Katla, Lisa, Karen and all that commented on my before and after pictures, thank you, thank you, thank you <3 I do worry that you tire of seeing them.

Love you my friends
    Janetr OKC

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Pat in OH - welcome back!

Does anyone watch "the good doctor"? What happened in the end of the season finale? My DVR only recorded the first hour. Grrrrrr....

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Little Tasmania is right in the middle of it again ...

7lbkxp8xqkjl.png

7C (feels like 2C), windy, rainy, snow down to 500 metres.

So I'm putting up some Christmas decorations. :)

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,064 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    💕💖💕 Athena and Liliana. Athena and my great niece, Sarah, had the same reaction to their first Santa visit. Quite a common thing, I believe. 😂
    Off out to Patchwork. Back later.

☘️ Terri
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I told hub this morning that I was shocked both of us slept until the alarm went off....he then told me he moved the alarm up a half hour and hadn't told me.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Becca classic Santa pic! Athena is adorable <3

I love cleaning out my fridge after the holidays. I’ve been pushing leftovers on everyone. :s Most of what’s left is now labeled and tucked away in the freezer. So glad to not have to grocery shop for the next week as well.

Hopping on the treadmill now and listening to podcasts, Heather I’m getting into Soul Music, that you recommended.

Stay safe and cozy everyone.

NYKAREN
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Lisa That is nifty about the random quilting. One more question. How do you keep the fabric from getting too bunched up? By the way, I love all three quilts but am partial to the John Deere one. I am a John Deere fan. tractor-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Karen in Virginia

Karen - I have to admit, the John Deere fabric is what began this whole thing. I fell in love with it for baby Levi, and couldn't make him a quilt without making one each for the other two. And to keep the fabric from bunching up, I use a fairly lightweight cotton batting and spray-on, wash-out basting spray. Tried pins, tried basting it down by hand, with long stitches, and neither worked for me. The spray stuff gets everywhere, and I'm pretty sure basting three quilts in a few hours glued a couple of my brain cells together (they mean it when they say have ventilation!) You can also buy double-sided fusible batting, but it's incredibly expensive.

Liliana is beautiful, and her mother looks very "madonna-like" in that photo, beautiful eyes.

Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Options
    I told hub this morning that I was shocked both of us slept until the alarm went off....he then told me he moved the alarm up a half hour and hadn't told me.

Why?

I'd be furious if anyone tried that with me!!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    We went through these 30 Days of Gratitude in November last year. Feel free to join in whenever you'd like ...

mozs13csyrr4.png
    Machka in Oz

All right ... it's mid November and this will take us through to mid December ... just in time for Christmas!! :)

Day 1 - November 15 - Smell: My sense of smell is limited and my husband no longer has a sense of smell (or taste) since his accident. However, I can catch a faint scent from the roses and freesias he has grown, which are all coming into bloom.

I'm thankful that he has been able to garden and that we have so many lovely flowers and veggies growing and blooming. :)

Day 2 - November 16 - Technology: My laptop, my phone, email, facebook ... the fact that technology exists! :) It's what I do ... it's what I learn ... it's how I communicate with family and friends.

Day 3 - November 17 - Colour: Well ... I'm thankful for the bright colours on my table. Especially since this spring has been quite gloomy. They make me smile. :)

Day 4 - November 18 - Food: I'm thankful for my weekday lunches ... chicken, rice and veg. :)

Day 5 - November 19 - Sound: How applicable! I just got my laptop connected to my stereo!! I am appreciating the nice soothing music in the evenings. :)

Day 6 - November 20 - Nature: All of it! I am very thankful that there is nature ... animals and plants, water, rocks, mountains, hills, all of it. I'm glad I live in a place where I can see and experience nature. I couldn't live in the middle of a large city. My ideal would be in a small town or right on the edge of a larger one so I could be surrounded by countryside in seconds.

Day 7 - November 21 - Memory: I'm thankful for memory. I'm thankful that my husband has some of his memory - he's pretty good at past memories and procedural memories. I'm glad he didn't lose that. I'm also thankful that, with a bit of effort, I've been able to improve my memory a bit. I've discovered that if I focus and work at it, I can remember people's names at least some of the time! I've had to be my husband's memory.

Day 8 - November 22 - Book: Most grateful ... the Bible. It's been a comfort to me, especially in recent times.

Also grateful for books in general.

The last 18 months I've switched to reading "children's" books. I've also found them comforting.

Day 9 - November 23 - Place: I'm thankful for my bed!! Although I'm not there nearly as much as I'd like to be, my bed has become one of my favourite places to be. There I can lose myself in books or sleep. :heart:

That said, I need to get a new pillow. Might have to see about doing that tomorrow if possible.

Day 10 - November 24 - Taste! Well, there are only 4 of them: salt, sweet, bitter, sour, and I've written them in order of preference. :)

I am thankful I have all 4 but I wish my husband did again.

Day 11 - November 25 - Holiday: How appropriate ... one month before Christmas. :) Christmas is my favourite public holiday. I'm love the music, the decorations, the food, the Christmas Carol evenings, the lights, and the celebration of Jesus birth. I'm thankful that we have a Christmas holiday.

As for holidays in general, I enjoy any opportunity to a) take time off work, and b) travel. I'm very thankful I live and work in Australia where I get quite a decent amount of holiday time. :)

Day 12 - November 26 - Texture: Smooth. Since the measles (?) in 2016, I need to wear very smooth clothes. I've been thankful to find such things at a good price.

And the soft texture of the fur of kitties. :)

Day 13 - November 27 - Abilities: I am very thankful for my organisational skills. I don't know how I would have survived with the past 20 months without them!!

Deep breath ...

Day 14 - November 28 - Sight: What sight am I grateful for?

The sight of all the roses and other flowers in our garden. :)
    The view from our dining room window out over the water. :)
    The beach my bus goes by morning and evening ... sometimes there is sea wildlife out there. I've seen dolphins, a stingray and a whale! :)
    The mountain behind the city. :)

Psalm 121
    A song of ascents.
    1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
    2 My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

Day 15 - November 29 - Season: Summer. I'm always thankful for summer! The warmth. The long daylight hours. I come alive in summer. :) One more day till summer!

Day 16 - November 30 - My Body: I'm thankful for my brain and my legs. My brain, because it often has to be a brain for two of us now and although it fails me now and then, I'm so glad things like my memory seem to have improved. And my legs because they are what carry me around and allow me to do things like cycling and running.

Day 17 - December 1 - Knowledge: Coincidentally, my current course is Knowledge Management. :) I appreciate everything I've learned through formal education, experience, and life in general. I'm especially thankful for being at a point where I feel reasonably comfortable around computers ... but can still learn more! Even just today, I learned how to add contacts into my phone.

Day 18 - December 2 - Piece of Art: Hmmm ... I am thankful for my sister-in-law's art and gifts to us. :) She has given us paintings, wood carvings, and vases.

One of her vases ...
    wxw16qqq2dk4.png

Day 19 - December 3 - Touch: My husband's hugs! There were a few months when I thought I'd never have his hugs again. His hugs were one thing I dreamt about during those months.

Machka in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

Why?

M in Oz

Machka - He needed to be at work early this morning. It wouldn't have mattered if he told me, once I'm awake, I'm awake and I always wake up when he gets up. I'm not one of those people that can roll over and go back to sleep.

Okie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Nice vase, Machka. :D

NYKAREN - So pleased you are giving Soul Music a go. Some of them are better than others, of course, but I've found all of them had something to teach me and some moved me profoundly. I still can't quite believe the choir boy's voice on the Allegri. :o<3 I've played that one over and over.

Did some writing this morning. It's very hard. I'm writing about all the disasters we had with our pets when I was young, some of them caused by my parent's neglect, and which meant I decided never to have pets as an adult. I've got a kind of PTSD about it all. :'(

Dancing tonight.

Loving the baby pics! :laugh:

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options

Why?

M in Oz

Machka - He needed to be at work early this morning. It wouldn't have mattered if he told me, once I'm awake, I'm awake and I always wake up when he gets up. I'm not one of those people that can roll over and go back to sleep.

Okie

I need every minute of sleep I can get so if someone adjusted an alarm clock, I'd be thinking dark thoughts that they had robbed me of precious sleep.

I had to be up half an hour early today too. :(

And I'm the type of person that will fall asleep if I close my eyes for more than about 30 seconds. "I'll just rest my eyes for a moment" is a very dangerous thing for me!! I have a whole alarm pattern to try to wake me in the mornings, and eventually my husband has to come in and wake me most mornings.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lisa Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about the quilts. I adore them.

Heather For me, recalling childhood pet disasters is all tangled up with the emotions & memories of the 3rd trimester loss of my daughter. Very PTSD-ish. Leaves you raw & distressed. Hard work. (((hugs)))

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Rebecca Could Athena be any cuter? That's an iconic first Christmas Santa photo. :D
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Janetr I will never ever tire of seeing your before & after photos. Just for the record.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! Going to have to be quick with the comments, as the kids will be arriving soon.
    Lisa- Love those quilts! You did a great job! I am also partial to the John Deere/farm motif! Very cute!
    REbecca- Now, that is a clever Santa to spread his arm wide! IF we didn't know Athena was crying; they could easily appear to be screaming with glee or exuberantly singing a Christmas carol...?!
    KarenVA- Sweet Lilliana! <3 Pretty mama, too!
    JanetR- I LOVE seeing your before and after photos! You are an inspiration! And that new haircut! <3 So chic and becoming on you!
    Rori- Glad you have weathered the storm that went through your area. We were supposed to get some wind and snow last week; but it must have jumped over the lakeshore, because it hit a bit further inland. I don't mind if it happens on my days off! :p

Welcome new girls!

Feeling a little under the weather today. Ache-y. I hope I am not coming down with anything. Extra vitamin C. Oooops! Here is my first little one. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)