!!!Gallon of Water a Day for Two Weeks, GAINED weight !!!

Options

Replies

• unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Reading through, I have a couple thoughts.

1) Water retention is definitely at play. If you feel uncomfortable from the amount you’re drinking, pull back a little & do some trial-and-error until you find a comfortable intake.

2) 6lbs, especially in a short amount of time, can be a sign of food still digesting or constipation. Are either of these a possibiltiy in this case?

3) High levels of sodium and over exertion result in water retention. Ease up a little on both.

4) You may just be building muscle mass. When I was swimming & jogging miltiple times a day a few years ago I developed crazy muscle mass in my legs. That’ll bump up the scale pretty quickly.

5) If you believe fat stores are at play, start measuring calorie-dense foods such as dairy & meat. It means a little extra effort, but not as much as logging every little thing. If you’re still gaining, log fully. More often than not people *think* they know how many calories they’re consuming, only to discover they’ve been eating substantially more.

TL;DR: Use common sense. If it isn’t working, adjust until it does.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Focus less on the weight and do body measurements. They are more accurate. Still weigh sometimes but don’t rely on the scale.

You should stick to 64 to 100oz of water and don’t go any higher. You don’t need any more than that. Whether or not a gallon is good varies from person to person. From what I’ve read it might be too much for you.

• domineer4life
    domineer4life Posts: 16 Member
    Options

1) Water retention is definitely at play. If you feel uncomfortable from the amount you’re drinking, pull back a little & do some trial-and-error until you find a comfortable intake.

2) 6lbs, especially in a short amount of time, can be a sign of food still digesting or constipation. Are either of these a possibiltiy in this case?

3) High levels of sodium and over exertion result in water retention. Ease up a little on both.

4) You may just be building muscle mass. When I was swimming & jogging miltiple times a day a few years ago I developed crazy muscle mass in my legs. That’ll bump up the scale pretty quickly.

5) If you believe fat stores are at play, start measuring calorie-dense foods such as dairy & meat. It means a little extra effort, but not as much as logging every little thing. If you’re still gaining, log fully. More often than not people *think* they know how many calories they’re consuming, only to discover they’ve been eating substantially more.

I had to give you a hug for this one! Multiple solutions that I can see myself taking advantage of.
  • domineer4life
    domineer4life Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    11Templars wrote: »
    I stopped reading at “water challenge.” 🙄

Straight up, that's rude. Instead of offering up something you've learned on your journey to someone who is clearly new to all of this, your 1st goto response is to be sarcastic?

The responses to this post are why I rarely offer up anying in the forums. The lack of consideration for meeting people where they're at is disappointing to say the least. Folks seem more interested in "disagreeing with each other, and showing how much they know than being understanding and sensitive towards one another.

At the risk of being that guy: ----> I see more ppl disagreed with my post than any other which I find interesting. I have competed at the National level in 2 sports, was a University Champion Wrestler, Coach a Provincial team (10 years now), and have worked with nutritionists, sport Psychologists, and the best of coaches and Drs for literally 2/3 of my life. Hence, not my 1st rodeo...

If you have something to offer the OP, by all means do so, but please be considerate to one another. If you have issues, with what I posted, buy all means correct me in a DM so that I might learn from your experience, or call your concerns out publicly if you have that need.

You are awesome. I love the way you gracefully put them in their place. I simply came here for advice, not scorn, and most certainly not to be made to feel like I am the only one who is looking for different options to adopt to suit their weight management journey. If you have something of value to offer up, by all means, but have some respect because MFP is a supportive community. I am not new to weight loss or MFP. Just trying to find a way of life I can adhere to for the long term.
  • MaxAssassin
    MaxAssassin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Remember, the part of the body that retains water is fat. Adipose tissue is what stores water, and for those of us that have a bit extra of fat, it will store water. But, if you eat a keto based diet, continue doing the IF, and do some light resistance (dumbbells, kettlebells, barbells) with light weight and high rep, you will burn off the fat. Mostly from the diet, but also exercise. The key is to engage more muscle tissue because that will require a lot more energy (stored bodyfat) than steady state cardio. If you also do HIIT twice per week, you can eliminate the steady state cardio completely and use the other three or four days for lifting. I use the Body Beast routine with light weights and that works well for me. Every time I combine the keto based diet, HIIT 2x week, and lifting with light weights the other days with one rest day I lose a couple pounds per week. My problem is after about a month I get complacent and then I lose my discipline. Give it a try for a month or two. You might like it.