!!!Gallon of Water a Day for Two Weeks, GAINED weight !!!

Options

Replies

• 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/drinking-water-helps-with-weight-loss

There is a pluthora of evidence out there to support the concept that drinking lots of water supports weight loss..

This has been a well known fact in high end athletics for decades..
  • domineer4life
    domineer4life Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    11Templars wrote: »
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/drinking-water-helps-with-weight-loss

There is a pluthora of evidence out there to support the concept that drinking lots of water supports weight loss..

This has been a well known fact in high end athletics for decades..

This is exactly why I went down the path of drinking more water. It is a supplementary habit that promotes weight loss but people keep mistaking that I’m doing this as the only means to manage weight. Drinking half my body weight in water is healthy according to many studies and it boosts energy, cleans out toxins, it’s effective at eliminating waste, and it keeps your skin clear. Not to mention I curbs the craving for sugary drinks. I’m with you bro

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I realize why people think that calorie counting isn't sustainable, but this is true only if you believe that eating at maintenance is intuitive, which is an outright fallacy.

I'm not sure why the resistance to tracking, especially with the advent of smartphone and apps ala MFP. It takes minutes a day to log this.

...and I get the IF guys - at least those it works for, but overall it seems a great deal of risk and uncertainty. This would be akin to managing finances, but never tracking expenses and not spending any money over certain days/times. Further complicated by not tracking income and expecting the balance to remain stable or increase.

I also note that those successful with IF spend a greater amount of time exercising, risk mitigation to ensure a caloric deficit due to uncertainty.

Erm...

Disagree with the sweeping statements presented. Careful with using the word "only" as it excludes any other possible solutions!!

I don't track my food and can maintain my weight or lose weight just fine - but I can't do that and eat intuitively.
    My intuitive eating level is a surplus and has been just about the whole of my adult life.

But I can and do eat mindfully and keep my overall calorie balance in mind. I found food tracking during the period of my main weight loss educational and useful but at maintenance or when correcting a weight drift for me it's just not necessary. People can be calorie aware without counting.

Logging food for me is unsustainable as it provides no benefit to me. That it provides a benefit to many others is clearly obvious but irrelevant to my personal choices.

It's not as black and white as you suggest of tracking calories OR intuitive eating, there are other options which work for some people, not just mindful eating either. But I must say the OP is picking some very strange and not at all surprisingly ineffective other options! Picking options which actually influence calorie intake would be better choices.

The ONLY was in reference to the sustainability of counting and in the context of inviting risk, specifically a rationale not to log. Not in reference to weight management.

Never stated that those are the only two options to manage weight, but that you implement a greater degree of inaccuracy when you don't log and track and need to account for this somehow.

Nothing is black and white and I did not suggest as much - everything is a shade of grey.

I rarely log accurately unless I'm in a cut or bulk, but likely similar in your case I work out a lot, so my physical activity ensures a deficit. The other issue is one of discipline, so giving advice to someone new and starting out is going to be considerably different compared to someone experienced.

• 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I myself drink a gallon of water a day, as do most of the folks I train with. Now, that being said, I'm very active, and in the gym 6 days a week.

Outside of the obvious of water intoxication, and at the risk of being a broken record, there is plenty of research to support the concept of drinking a gallon of water a day, assuming you're active.

Drinking a Gallon of Water

I've seen many folks on here disagreeing with this concept, but offering up little to know evidence to support their claim. I appreciate it does initially seem counter intuitive, but as I said, and again, this isn't my "opinion", there is plenty of research to support his idea.

Obviously, a little common sense is needed here as well. Doing this a Weight Loss method, isn't going to achieve the goals some might be looking for.

Blessings,
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    THE AVERAGE PERSON DOES NOT NEED TO DRINK A GALLON OF WATER A DAY.

Watch this segment from "Adam Ruins Everything" which explains why 8 GLASSES of water a day aren't really necessary, much less a gallon:

https://www.google.com/searchq=adam+ruins+everything+water&rlz=1CAWDAV_enUS864&oq=adam+ruins+everything+water&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.5717j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8