The Game Changers

Options
Anyone else who has seen the documentary "The Game Changers?" If so, what are your thoughts on it?
I personally found it quite interesting and the plant-based diet may give a better protein intake (if what they've presented accurate) but I don't think we should blame meat or see it as an enemy. What do you think?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I watched it because I tend to navigate to anything fitness/diet/exercise related. I liked it. Had a few questions though...primarily
    In the sports world where any fraction of a second, any little advantage that can be gained has been studied over and over again why has something as simple as this not been investigated before? I don't disagree that we probably should eat less meat and dairy, but I don't think it is because we would be better athletes for it.

Coincidentally I happened to watch a different documentary with a similar concept, namely that a primarily plant based diet is beneficial to overall health. The other doc (can't remember the name offhand) was discussing how if we were to look at the different Blue Zones throughout the planet (towns where people live significantly longer than everywhere else) we would find that they pretty much all make plant based, whole foods the staple of their diets. They certainly don't avoid meat and dairy at all costs but they definitely limit their consumption. This to me was a better message, and probably more in line with my overall goals. Eat less red meat and dairy, eat more whole grains, beans and fruits/veggies.

Then again, these Blue Zones also happened to be located in pretty awesome island, coastal regions where the air, quality of life, stress, abundance of fresh produce, fish etc also contributed to a better way of life. Documentaries can be so one sided, and usually have an agenda but they are entertaining and create some nice debate and discussion.

Agree with all this.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Why the banging?
  • Dazzlle22
    Dazzlle22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've asked quite a lot of questions here, but don't worry, I know that there is no other way to lose weight other than having a healthy diet and creating a calorie deficit for yourself, I'm just curious about some things and wanted to know what others have experienced during they "journey" with healthy lifestyle.
    Thank you for all of your responses, they've been helpful and quite interesting to read, good luck to everyone trying to lose/maintain/gain weight! :blush:
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Anyone watch the netflix series "explained"? They recently had an episode on meat and the consumption of meat. They spoke about how once meat hits the grocery stores there is more protein in vegetables and legumes. Another interesting fact was about the amount of meat people consume today versus almost 100 years ago. Its 15 minutes or so, if this topic interests you, watch it. I, myself was vegetarian for 13 years. I went back to eating meat just because where I lived at the time, its what I had to eat and not much else. I was telling my husband recently that I've considered going back because I felt healthier and stronger as a vegetarian. Albeit I was also younger. There is a lot to be said health wise either way you tip the scale.
  • CalgaryMac
    CalgaryMac Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We tried one of those plant based hamburger products a week or so ago. It was being marketed as tasting like beef. Well it didn't taste like plant protein but it didn't taste like beef either. To boot it was $10.00 for a package of 2 patties (it was on sale for 4 patties for $10.00 the week that we tried it). I like vegetarian food but I am not sure that the hype matches the product.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    CalgaryMac wrote: »
    We tried one of those plant based hamburger products a week or so ago. It was being marketed as tasting like beef. Well it didn't taste like plant protein but it didn't taste like beef either. To boot it was $10.00 for a package of 2 patties (it was on sale for 4 patties for $10.00 the week that we tried it). I like vegetarian food but I am not sure that the hype matches the product.

@CalgaryMac what was the brand?