The Game Changers

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    33Freya wrote: »
    Been plant-based for the last 12 days (ever since we watched Game Changers) and LOVING IT!!!
    Down 5lbs (scale was creeping up because I have been medically prohibited from exercising for the last month). I am NOT eating vegan meat replacement/processed foods for the most part. I am eating a huge variety of whole foods- while my diet has much more in the way of carbs, I feel better, and I'm sleeping better.

Since then I've watched several other documentaries about how animals on feedlots are handled (Cows are kept PREGNANT the entire time they're giving milk- that must deplete nutrients and add hormones). The statistic in the US is that 1 in 6 dairy cows die from udder infections- think about the "allowable amount of pus and blood per oz" when you eat that cheese.

I can't even look at bacon after seeing how pigs are processed, and chicken... all that to say that after watching how these animals are tortured into hunks of meat that we get protein from, my stomach turns at the thought of ingesting it. I'm done with animal products, though I don't tell people unless asked why, and if we're eating I speak to this very generally.

My husband and I shop together and cook together now, and we've been having a blast being creative together. We don't preach to others or try to persuade them to this lifestyle (our xmas party is going to be full of the meat and cheese in our fridge to be consumed by our carniverous friends, and I'm going to cook it for them).

I definitely mention GameChangers as the thing that kicked us off though.

Supposedly the stat that in the US 1 in 6 dairy cows die from udder infections comes from https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahms/dairy/downloads/dairy14/Dairy14_dr_Mastitis.pdf but I don't have the patience to dig through it - anybody?
  • IJP2019
    IJP2019 Posts: 34 Member
    If you're triggered by my blunt description of animal products, you will need to figure that out for yourself. I am not in control of that....but it triggered you for a reason.

They are an accurate description of animal products, not inflammatory....I assume that you rather they are labelled to something more appealing.

I am not trigggered by your comments one bit...rotten plants I put them in the compost and get fresh ones. And I've likely heard all the other comments before.

I am not by any means telling anyone what they should or shouldn't eat....that's their life, not mine.

• IJP2019
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    IJP2019 wrote: »
    If you're triggered by my blunt description of animal products, you will need to figure that out for yourself. I am not in control of that....but it triggered you for a reason.

They are an accurate description of animal products, not inflammatory....I assume that you rather they are labelled to something more appealing.

I am not trigggered by your comments one bit...rotten plants I put them in the compost and get fresh ones. And I've likely heard all the other comments before.

I am not by any means telling anyone what they should or shouldn't eat....that's their life, not mine.

I didn't see anyone get triggered by your description of animal products, you simply got called out because I feel its an inaccurate and blatantly dishonest description. To be perfectly honest, I could care less what your thoughts are about meat, or whether or not you find it appetizing. Your thoughts and beliefs wouldn't give me pause at all, because you can't seem to defend them without attempting to insult others. If you feel superior by not eating meat, then you do you. Its just funny how your descriptions are no different than some of the stuff said in these propaganda documentaries put out by groups with an obvious agenda. Why do you find it so hard to defend your position without spreading lies and trying to belittle others?

Actually, I haven't belittled anyone....but your tone sure is walking the line of that. Seems like you might be projecting here.

If my descriptions of rotting animal flesh etc...are inaccurate, are you implying that the meat is not rotting or heavily preserved? Are you implying that diary is not fluid from pregnant cows? Or that chicken eggs are not filled with an ambionic fluid?
    If I have my science wrong, please educate and explain what they are...... I am all ears.
  • IJP2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »

I didn't see anyone get triggered by your description of animal products, you simply got called out because I feel its an inaccurate and blatantly dishonest description. To be perfectly honest, I could care less what your thoughts are about meat, or whether or not you find it appetizing. Your thoughts and beliefs wouldn't give me pause at all, because you can't seem to defend them without attempting to insult others. If you feel superior by not eating meat, then you do you. Its just funny how your descriptions are no different than some of the stuff said in these propaganda documentaries put out by groups with an obvious agenda. Why do you find it so hard to defend your position without spreading lies and trying to belittle others?

Actually, I haven't belittled anyone....but your tone sure is walking the line of that. Seems like you might be projecting here.

If my descriptions of rotting animal flesh etc...are inaccurate, are you implying that the meat is not rotting or heavily preserved? Are you implying that diary is not fluid from pregnant cows? Or that chicken eggs are not filled with an ambionic fluid?
    If I have my science wrong, please educate and explain what they are...... I am all ears.

Yeah, and beans contain tiny adorable bean embryos, and we're eating the cute little babies' food supply, and them, in each delicious bite. Most fruits and vegetables begin to rot as soon as they leave the plant (some do it slowly, others do it quickly). If you live an even remotely first-world life, your vegetables and fruits have also been heavily preserved (even "fresh, whole" ones, by mechanisms like storage with specialized-gas environments, irradiation, refrigeration, humidity controls, etc. - pretty much the same measures used for fresh meats).

If you want to convert people to veganism, or reduced meat/dairy/fish consumption - which also can have substantial benefits for animals and the environment - this sort of rhetoric is exactly the wrong way to go about it.

Do polar bears feel guilty when they eat adorable baby seals? Should they? If humans' "moral qualities" make the difference here, why are embryo chickens bad to eat, and embryo beans just fine? If it's just animals, or higher animals, how high? What makes the upper levels of animal taxonomy more important than the upper levels of the plant taxonomy? Is that just human bias, because we're animals, and empathize more with things closer on the evolutionary tree? (Increasingly, there are research suggestions that plants have proto-"feelings", too - seriously.)

I've been vegetarian (not vegan) for 45 years, so not a shill for Big Meat. You're talking about this in a way that won't make converts, and that, yes, goes out of its way to paint those who choose differently in a very negative light.

Lol the beans comment is not really a great comparison.
    As I stated above....not telling anyone to do anything. I really couldn't care any less what others eat. Just sharing my experience eat plants.
    Eat what you like....
    You all being triggered by my choice to eat plant based is something to look at though.