The Game Changers

Replies

• IJP2019
    IJP2019 Posts: 34 Member
    *yawns*......
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    This time of year I use a ton of greens in soups. As kshama notes, they shrink up (kale less so, but still).
  • Dhirenadatia
    Dhirenadatia Posts: 1 Member
    I also enjoyed this documentary, and since then, I have been eating less meat. It is a very biased documentary however, of course it would be though.
  • PrismaticPhoenix
    PrismaticPhoenix Posts: 65 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    IJP2019 wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    If you're triggered by my blunt description of animal products, you will need to figure that out for yourself. I am not in control of that....but it triggered you for a reason.

They are an accurate description of animal products, not inflammatory....I assume that you rather they are labelled to something more appealing.

I am not trigggered by your comments one bit...rotten plants I put them in the compost and get fresh ones. And I've likely heard all the other comments before.

I am not by any means telling anyone what they should or shouldn't eat....that's their life, not mine.

I didn't see anyone get triggered by your description of animal products, you simply got called out because I feel its an inaccurate and blatantly dishonest description. To be perfectly honest, I could care less what your thoughts are about meat, or whether or not you find it appetizing. Your thoughts and beliefs wouldn't give me pause at all, because you can't seem to defend them without attempting to insult others. If you feel superior by not eating meat, then you do you. Its just funny how your descriptions are no different than some of the stuff said in these propaganda documentaries put out by groups with an obvious agenda. Why do you find it so hard to defend your position without spreading lies and trying to belittle others?

Actually, I haven't belittled anyone....but your tone sure is walking the line of that. Seems like you might be projecting here.

If my descriptions of rotting animal flesh etc...are inaccurate, are you implying that the meat is not rotting or heavily preserved? Are you implying that diary is not fluid from pregnant cows? Or that chicken eggs are not filled with an ambionic fluid?
    If I have my science wrong, please educate and explain what they are...... I am all ears.

At some point fresh raw chicken will go bad, just as produce does - I honestly don't understand your "rotting" argument. I have a lot of produce scraps rotting in my compost pile ATM.
    Of all the things I have the most trouble keeping from going bad before I use it, it's the stupid tubs of fresh spinach in my refrigerator.

I love fresh spinach, but lord, that stuff. I just found a Pinterest page that says it's got a list of things that will help. We Shall See.

There's always spinach casserole! This is for Swiss chard casserole and it's crazy how much I start with vs what I'm left with: https://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the_wednesday_chef/2008/07/alice-waterss-s.html

4 quart soup pot \/

8gwkshaaldut.jpg

0fbmgvfvcyti.jpg

qbgay6gojil9.jpg

^ 6 cup container

BTW, I cook the chard way less than the recipe suggests and do things in a different order. I just wilted the chard in a tiny bit of water and mixed it into the roux when that was done. I used 19 oz of chard for the 1.5 bunches, which came to almost 4 quarts when loosely chopped and about 4 cups after gentle wilting.

That looks really delicious! Thanks for the suggestion. It's really tricky because I like spinach but it can be hard to tell how fast I'm going to go through it. Oof!
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    This time of year I use a ton of greens in soups. As kshama notes, they shrink up (kale less so, but still).
    I'll look into that. Thanks so much!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    By nature humans are omnivores. This means that our bodies are designed to have a combination of both plant and animal products. It is a fact that without fortification of some processed foods and/or supplements that a vegan would not thrive. There are a number of reasons that people choose to go down the vegan path which are perfectly valid but when these same people believe that their way of eating is superior for health then they are really just kidding themselves, simply because they can not meet all of their nutritional needs to thrive without the use of supplementation and fortification.

I agree. Just one look at out teeth and digestive tract show we are omnivores. Cows have long guts.... IE plant material only.... or mostly.... dogs have short guts.... IE mostly meat eaters.... humans.... more medium guts.
  • PrismaticPhoenix
    PrismaticPhoenix Posts: 65 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    If you're triggered by my blunt description of animal products, you will need to figure that out for yourself. I am not in control of that....but it triggered you for a reason.

They are an accurate description of animal products, not inflammatory....I assume that you rather they are labelled to something more appealing.

I am not trigggered by your comments one bit...rotten plants I put them in the compost and get fresh ones. And I've likely heard all the other comments before.

I am not by any means telling anyone what they should or shouldn't eat....that's their life, not mine.

I didn't see anyone get triggered by your description of animal products, you simply got called out because I feel its an inaccurate and blatantly dishonest description. To be perfectly honest, I could care less what your thoughts are about meat, or whether or not you find it appetizing. Your thoughts and beliefs wouldn't give me pause at all, because you can't seem to defend them without attempting to insult others. If you feel superior by not eating meat, then you do you. Its just funny how your descriptions are no different than some of the stuff said in these propaganda documentaries put out by groups with an obvious agenda. Why do you find it so hard to defend your position without spreading lies and trying to belittle others?

Actually, I haven't belittled anyone....but your tone sure is walking the line of that. Seems like you might be projecting here.

If my descriptions of rotting animal flesh etc...are inaccurate, are you implying that the meat is not rotting or heavily preserved? Are you implying that diary is not fluid from pregnant cows? Or that chicken eggs are not filled with an ambionic fluid?
    If I have my science wrong, please educate and explain what they are...... I am all ears.

At some point fresh raw chicken will go bad, just as produce does - I honestly don't understand your "rotting" argument. I have a lot of produce scraps rotting in my compost pile ATM.
    Of all the things I have the most trouble keeping from going bad before I use it, it's the stupid tubs of fresh spinach in my refrigerator.

I love fresh spinach, but lord, that stuff. I just found a Pinterest page that says it's got a list of things that will help. We Shall See.

Take the spinach out of the container and put paper towels in the bottom, return half the spinach, add more paper towels, put the rest in and top with more towels. The towels will absorb the moisture and keep the spinach leaves fresher longer

Ooh, I'll have to try that! Thank you!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Danp wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    40 years an animal eater, going on 3 years 100% plant based....I can confirm what is in the documentary worked for me....all of it. Better muscle recovery, better energy, don't get sick as often, no more acid reflux, (used to be prescribed Tecta) headaches, lower cholesterol, better *kittens* etc....

A plant based diet alone will not magically cause you to lose weight, or will you feel the effects that I do. Cake can be vegan, oreos are vegan, many sugars and vegatable oils are vegan...same with breads, salt etc.... so if you don't eat properly, don't expect to benefit from it.

Most people jump on the plant based diet bandwagon eating cake and processed meat alernatives, not knowing what to eat and how much to eat thinking it will be magic.

Every food guide states to put a majority of vegetables on your plate at every meal, and limit the other groups...so just let that sink in for a minute.

I just eat what the guide states to eat lots of, cut out the other needless groups, and have no problem hitting my protein targets.

So you cut out most of the processed food you were eating, eliminated animal products and lost weight and your health improved. Maybe you would have seen very similar improvements by simply reducing processed food and losing weight. My health has improved significantly by doing two of three of those things.

My health has significantly improved and I'm in the best and healthiest shape of my life only doing one of those things, eating animal products that come almost exclusively from 'processed' foods.

It's almost as if the single most defining factor in improving health is losing weight regardless of how it's achieved. Crazy huh!

Not crazy at all.......
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'll look into that. Thanks so much!

I also make omelets regularly, and they always contain some kind of green, as well as other veg.

Spinach and chard are really easy sides with just sauteeing and maybe some garlic or onion. This collards recipe is great too: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017435-brazilian-collard-greens

I also make salads with fresh spinach.

Spinach pie is super delicious but not low cal -- one recipe: https://www.recipegirl.com/greek-spinach-pie/
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    I am so sad @lemurcat2 !
    I totally misread your post (I blame my glasses) and thought you said "is super delicious AND low cal"
    So clicked on the recipe, and was mentally adding up 20oz of spinach and 2 cups of cheese and the oil and coming up with... "what is she talking about low cal" :flushed:
    And then I read your post again! :lol:
  • lemurcat2
    Heh!
  • javamoaka
    javamoaka Posts: 19 Member
    Hey! So I watched the documentary, watched the rebuttal, and then the debate. So I'm about 6 hours into this ha. With proper planning and supplementation one can easily get enough protein and quality protein on a plant based diet. I have been on a largely plant based diet since the documentary and feel great. For general health and fitness I believe this is a good option. Just being intentional with food intake will yield great results. From the information I have read there is no correlation between meat and cancer. Being vegan wont cure cancer or help you see in the dark but giving your body plenty of vitamins has great benefits. Good Luck!