Meatless The Better

What u all think. Going to less meat and more of plant based diet better in every way. Seems most disease comes from meat and dairy?

We can get most of our needed proteins from grains and non meat things. Am i right on this? should we all be avoiding meat?
As well considering the governments want us to all eat meat and dairy.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I believe in eating a little of everything--spread the risk. Fruits and vegetables can have problems too--remember the romaine lettuce recall last year?
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Personally I have landed on a current plan of less meat, less often, but better quality when I do have it.

I like to eat plant based foods, it seems to suit me, with a genetic heritage from English peasants it's the kind of pattern they would have had. A lot of fruit and veg also helps manage a tendency to high blood pressure which has been a problem in the past (can't remember why now, learned this years ago from British blood pressure association website when I first started having problems.)

So, it's worth you trying to see how you go, you might find it suits.
    Always very wary of saying that all people must do one particular thing though. One size does not fit all.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Poss a preventative towards colon cancer as veg protein has more fibre? Random thought
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Personally I have landed on a current plan of less meat, less often, but better quality when I do have it.

I like to eat plant based foods, it seems to suit me, with a genetic heritage from English peasants it's the kind of pattern they would have had.

Do you limit yourself to the sort of fruits and nuts that might be gleaned from hedge rows, root vegetables, grains, and beer that likely made up the bulk of the diet of your English peasant ancestors?

No, but am sure they would have enjoyed a banana if they could have got hold of one. I said kind of, not exactly.
    They would not have had access to much meat.

I'm just trying to explain how something that suits me, may not suit others.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I personally eat a pescatarian diet but I believe that you should eat whatever works to keep you in good health in body and spirit and also keeps you in a calorie deficit (if your journey is losing weight).
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    vivo1972 wrote: »
    Poss a preventative towards colon cancer as veg protein has more fibre? Random thought

The association is only against processed meats and it's a whopping 1-1.5% increase in absolute risk. And what's even more interested, its because those diets tend to be low in fiber. So if you consume fiber and consume processed meats, your risk would be negligible. On non processed meats, there is no increase in colorectal cancer.

I would like to read about this as meat really gives me a problem and sometimes have to manually evacuate (sorry, gross I know) but I'm ok to have it occasionally - do you have a good linkie pls? I would like to know more :)