can I get opinions on the keto diet vs. just counting calories and staying under 1200?

Options

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Choose whatever works best for you. No matter which plan you choose, the only way to lose weight is to consume less calories than your body burns.

Do you have your own woo crew as well?
  • Tarzan37
    Tarzan37 Posts: 158 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that your family makes inappropriate comments about your weight. That is not okay - but it is a reflection of issues that they have. I had to learn this when I dealt with people like this. Don't let people like that bring you down, including anyone on here.

As for using height and weight to determine a healthy BMI, that is a very oversimplified method of determining health and one that I wouldn't use. I would add some exercise to your daily habits and make healthier food choices to get started. Check out some of the groups here - I joined one for women over 200 lbs and it is a fabulous and very supportive group.

Good luck and big hugs to you! :)
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am in the calorie counting camp... But, it must be acknowledged that it doesn't tell you what nor how to eat. It just says "stop" at this point. I think more people like keto, because it has guidelines around "what" to eat instead of just when to stop eating (e.g. a calorie limit).
  • IWillTakeBackMyLife
    Options
    Keto has been amazing for me so far. There are so many things that have improved for me. It calmed down my anxiety, improved my sleep, improved my depression, helped me take control of my food addiction, put me completely in control of my actions and delivered amazing weight loss on top of it all. I feel a deep clarity. I was definitely eating too many carbs.
  • IWillTakeBackMyLife
    Options
    Also, as far as the drama in the thread goes, I don't understand why people are trying to stop you from losing weight or saying you NEED to eat at least 1200 calories. You're 130 lbs which means you got a little bit to lose for sure based on your own description of your weight gain, but 100 lbs sounds extreme to me. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, I can't tell, but I'm leaning towards too extreme. I say the best way to judge what you should be losing truly is by your body fat %. BMI isn't 100% accurate, everyone is different.